Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

For sale sign on my house....

For sale sign on my house....

Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:41 am
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default For sale sign on my house....

Crikey drove up the road yesterday and someone has been and put up the for sale sign on my house. I know its because I have put it up for sale but its really weird seeing it there after so long living here (my first house I have owned) does everyone feel the same way when they see the sign that effectively is ending a chapter of your life
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:44 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For sale sign on my house....

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Crikey drove up the road yesterday and someone has been and put up the for sale sign on my house. I know its because I have put it up for sale but its really weird seeing it there after so long living here (my first house I have owned) does everyone feel the same way when they see the sign that effectively is ending a chapter of your life
I know just how you felt when you saw the sign, but it will be even stranger when you see the SOLD sign. Good luck and lets hope you sell quick.

Sam
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

yep - the first and only house we owned together - we put for for sale to move to Spain - same feelings as you, weird seeing the for sale board

Had lived there 10 years - we moved out over a few a month or so ( to temp accommodation) and the last day there I was in tears, walking down the drive

but hey - these things have to be done and every time I go back to UK I park up outside and reminisce SAD I know and I bet the neighbours think Im weird too

Last edited by spain; Mar 29th 2007 at 10:56 am.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:53 am
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by spain
every time I go back to UK I park up outside and reminisce SAD I know and I bet the neighbours think Im weird
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:02 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
I know just how you felt when you saw the sign, but it will be even stranger when you see the SOLD sign. Good luck and lets hope you sell quick.

Sam
SOLD sign Is that a new thing then - nooo got me confused now - what's one of those
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Down in the south they have
"Spoken For" signs.

Encourages gazumping I think but I'm not an estate agent so I'm not sure.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing I ever saw in relation to that was in a previous house in the UK, agent came and put the For Sale sign up, and then immediately put the Sold banner across it, yes we had actually sold the house BEFORE the agents had even had time to get it listed. They were at the house when someone rang in wanting a house in our area and of the same size, they said they hadn't anything on the books, but they had someone out measuring a house at that moment, the people came and viewed the same night, tried to put in an offer UNDER the asking price the next morning, were turned down and offered the asking price 10 mins later, which was accepted. Wish every transaction went through as easily.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:52 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
but hey - these things have to be done and every time I go back to UK I park up outside and reminisce SAD I know and I bet the neighbours think Im weird too
Ah dont worry, i think everyone goes back to look at their old houses before.

I used to live just north of Doncaster and spent 3 years there and actually had 4 addresses in that time (all rented!) and if im in the area i sometimes go for a tour round the 4 addresses i once lived at. The nostalgia feeling is strange! And it seems weired seeing other people in them houses/flats now! bizzare.

My grandfather went back to a house he once lived in 60 years ago where he grew up at the other side of the country because they were in the area. But he didnt stop at just looking at it from the road, no he went down the garden path knocked on the door and asked to have a look around!
Luckily and somewhat amazingly the current occupants were very welcoming of him because they were wanting to restore the house back to how it used to be, so he was goign round telling them how the house used to be when he was a child, they even had some old photographs they found with him in them as a child! Amazing!

Imagine that eh? you move into a house find some old photos in the loft and then the old geezer turns up out of the blue!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:13 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry mate. You'll soon get used to it. You know how many we've bought and sold over the years but I know how odd the feeling is at first. It's a weird feeling closing the door for the last time. Particularly when the the house had so many good memories in it (and I know that your does ). I've never been back to any we've sold since we moved on. Not even the one we had near you.

The good thing is - although you might have many good memories of life in the house, it doesn't mean they'll die when you eventually leave it - you can still take those memories with you.

PS. Don't be such a soft lad
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:15 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean,we havent put ours on the market just yet,it must seem wierd, after all the work we have done here it must be a bit frightening wondering what you are giving up,I mean we are just about getting the house how we want it then the FOR SALE will go up I suspose you have just got to look foward and keep everything crossed and hpoe things will be ok.Good luck,hope you get a quick sale
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:50 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

remember What You're Doing It All For!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:01 pm
Smarties

Originally Posted by derbyflan
remember What You're Doing It All For!
Yea I know I aint exactly crying here mate It does feel wierd though the first time ever selling a house. I mean straight out the forces and buy this and live here almost seven years. Its been a great house and we will miss it. No way its that great it will keep us here in the UK though

Its just another part of this state of limbo I am in with all thats happened over the last few months and me now being unemployed after handing my notice in. Things are happening that a few months ago would have been unthinkable of course for a good few years yet so its all feeling really alien now, the for sale sign was another part of that is all.

bollocks I was doing so well there..........
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:04 pm
Smarties

Originally Posted by jandy44
I know what you mean,we havent put ours on the market just yet,it must seem wierd, after all the work we have done here it must be a bit frightening wondering what you are giving up,I mean we are just about getting the house how we want it then the FOR SALE will go up I suspose you have just got to look foward and keep everything crossed and hpoe things will be ok.Good luck,hope you get a quick sale
Yea you too, good luck with your sale. I have just been painting and have called a decorator to come and give me a quote. I hate decorating and I am getting into the Jeremy Kyle show hes top dog Hope its a reasonable quote so I can put my feet up until the sale
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:26 pm
ex-squaddie

bollocks I was doing so well there..........

It'll be just like your move to Belgium.

Only a million times better
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Yes, I know that feeling of being in limbo, pretty much there at the moment, although things are beginning to move.

It felt very odd to see the sold sign up, again the end of an era, and not a ba one at that. But time to move on, and I really am ready to go. For a while now I have been going for last looks at things and places. Thinking, well it's probably the last time I will see that...go down that road....see that skyline, for a while at least. Quite poignant.

A couple of years ago I was visiting the place where I lived as a child of four. Plucked up the courage to knock on the door and asked to have a look. I was amazed to see the same floor covering on the hall floor that had been there fifty years before. Apart from that it had totally changed. Was interesting though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.