Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Couple with toddler coming to Southern Spain for 6+ months

Couple with toddler coming to Southern Spain for 6+ months

Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:54 am
Just Joined

jpwf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple with toddler coming to Southern Spain for 6+ months

Hi everyone, you seem like a friendly bunch, so I hope you can help with some advice and opinions :-)

We (my fiancee, our 15month old toddler, and I) are looking to spend 6+ months on the south of Spain, and we're trying to work out where would be the best fit.

I'll give you as much info as I can, hopefully that's helpful.

I work online, and will be working whilst we are away, so income is covered.

We are both 32, active, have done winter and summer seasons/lived abroad lots, a little bit hippy, a little bit surfer-y, love exploring.

Here's what we're after:
  1. We need to be able to fly back to both the South and North of England regularly (my family are in Devon, my fiancees are in Liverpool) - so within a couple of hours of a suitable airport (Malaga Airport looks perfect)
  2. On/near the beach.
  3. Good Wifi, either in co-working spaces or cafes.
  4. 2+ bed properties with a decent amount of space for around the 600-700€ mark.
  5. Other families with little kids to meet/play with/go to groups etc
  6. Yoga studios.
  7. Ideally with a "digital nomad" community (other people who work online and travel etc)

So far, we're looking at:
  • Tarifa, which seems to tick most boxes, but we're not sure about meeting other families, and coping with the wind (we don't kitsurf...yet)
  • Malaga - seems to tick most boxes, but we don't know what its like to live there, or which areas would suit us.
  • Cadiz - but it seemsa bit far away from easy airports.

Are we on the right lines? Should we consider anywhere else?

We're coming out for 4 days in a couple of weeks time to look around, so can give each place a day or two.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple with toddler coming to Southern Spain for 6+ months

For that budget you should be fine in Malaga or Cadiz provinces

Malaga province is a lot more built-up, the whole coast is urbanized, basically one big city beach with industrial sand. But you have all the facilities there, an international community with lots of English speakers

Cadiz province is way more beautiful but off the beaten track. You have to be careful with internet, but there will be plenty of areas with good internet coverage

As for a "digital nomad community". You would be better off in Barcelona for that. There isnt a great business mindset among expats down South, more likely to be running a greasy spoon or a hairdresser. There are always exceptions of course

There are Spanish families with kids all over Spain. If you want English speakers then probably Malaga province would be better than Cadiz
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:21 am
Just Joined

jpwf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
For that budget you should be fine in Malaga or Cadiz provinces

Malaga province is a lot more built-up, the whole coast is urbanized, basically one big city beach with industrial sand. But you have all the facilities there, an international community with lots of English speakers

Cadiz province is way more beautiful but off the beaten track. You have to be careful with internet, but there will be plenty of areas with good internet coverage

As for a "digital nomad community". You would be better off in Barcelona for that. There isnt a great business mindset among expats down South, more likely to be running a greasy spoon or a hairdresser. There are always exceptions of course

There are Spanish families with kids all over Spain. If you want English speakers then probably Malaga province would be better than Cadiz

Thanks Cricketman, We would love to go for Barcelona, but I think it's out of our price range right now...

As of yet, we don't speak much Spanish at all,but plan to take learning it seriously,and would love to integrate - though having other UK/Expat families around initially at least is probably vital for my fiancees sanity!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpwf
Hi everyone, you seem like a friendly bunch, so I hope you can help with some advice and opinions :-)
We (my fiancee, our 15month old toddler, and I) are looking to spend 6+ months on the south of Spain, and we're trying to work out where would be the best fit.
We're coming out for 4 days in a couple of weeks time to look around, so can give each place a day or two.

Thanks!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpwf

I'll give you as much info as I can, hopefully that's helpful.

I work online, and will be working whilst we are away, so income is covered.

We are both 32, active, have done winter and summer seasons/lived abroad lots, a little bit hippy, a little bit surfer-y, love exploring.

Here's what we're after:
  1. We need to be able to fly back to both the South and North of England regularly (my family are in Devon, my fiancees are in Liverpool) - so within a couple of hours of a suitable airport (Malaga Airport looks perfect)
  2. On/near the beach.
  3. Good Wifi, either in co-working spaces or cafes.
  4. 2+ bed properties with a decent amount of space for around the 600-700€ mark.
  5. Other families with little kids to meet/play with/go to groups etc
  6. Yoga studios.
  7. Ideally with a "digital nomad" community (other people who work online and travel etc)

So far, we're looking at:
  • Tarifa, which seems to tick most boxes, but we're not sure about meeting other families, and coping with the wind (we don't kitsurf...yet)
  • Malaga - seems to tick most boxes, but we don't know what its like to live there, or which areas would suit us.
  • Cadiz - but it seemsa bit far away from easy airports.

Are we on the right lines? Should we consider anywhere else?

Thanks!
Malaga airport great links to UK and almost anywhere else, others not so good, so go with that region.
City itself has undergone major changes over last few years and is really a super place , you will find all you need there ,but it is a city with all usual problems of sizeable urban population. Worth looking further south to smaller towns such as San Pedro de Alcantara, just beyond Marbella or any of the communities between Marbella and Malaga. Good beach area around Cabopino but not a lot more, Fuengirola sizeable town, easy access, Torremolinos similar.
Tarifa is the wind-surfing capital of the region for one simple reason - a lot of wind all the time, gets very wearing and it is a long haul to a decent airport.
Cadiz and the rest of the province is lovely but not what you need - worth visiting but not for serious living.