Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

An MP (or MPs) for Expats living abroad

An MP (or MPs) for Expats living abroad

Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough
Default An MP (or MPs) for Expats living abroad

With Brexit and all that is going on in the EU/UK at the moment should Ex-Pats in the EU (and beyond) not have some representation in Partliament based on the numbers living abroad?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:26 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An MP (or MPs) for Expats living abroad

No, No, No and thrice times NO. We live abroad and therefore are not directly affected by most English laws; only laws appertaining to our finances really affect us if the UK is not our normal domicile

Davexf
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dmu
This exists in France for French citizens living worldwide. My daughter in Germany has her "own" député in the Assemblée Nationale, but whether his and the other 10's voices are heard is another matter.
Well not such a daft idea maybe
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
I think most of the UK taxpayers, who would have to cover the cost of the MP for people that have chosen to leave the UK and who pay little or no tax there, would think it was a very daft idea indeed.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I, personally, think it's extremely daft for the reasons @Dxf states.

We live in Spain and pay our taxes here, why do we need representation in a country we have left and can't vote in (after 15 years)?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I, personally, think it's extremely daft for the reasons @Dxf states.

We live in Spain and pay our taxes here, why do we need representation in a country we have left and can't vote in (after 15 years)?
Good points surely at the moment there are MEPS for eu issues? Funny but pre brexit most expats I spoke to re anything to do with politics or uk matters would give the stock answer " we have no interest in the uk we have made our lives here" funny now they think they should be one of the major parts of policy. Maybe if they had shown more interest pre 2016 they may just have seen this coming and realised that as far as majority are concerned they have no interest in expats as they have chosen to leave UK. Works both ways !
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I've found myself on the Spain forum by magic!
Actually, I agree with the others, that tax-payers (i.e. me) in France are paying all the costs and expenses involved with these extra bods, for those who have chosen to leave the country.
(P.S. Maybe I should specify that my daughter is French)

Last edited by dmu; Nov 30th 2016 at 1:08 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
No, No, No and thrice times NO. We live abroad and therefore are not directly affected by most English laws; only laws appertaining to our finances really affect us if the UK is not our normal domicile

Davexf
You've got more than "thrice" NOs in there, and could probably drop the "times"

Last edited by chopera; Nov 30th 2016 at 2:25 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

With Brexit and all that is going on in the EU/UK at the moment should Ex-Pats in the EU (and beyond) not have some representation in Partliament based on the numbers living abroad?
No representation without taxation! If you don't pay your taxes in the UK you can't really expect to be represented in the UK parliament. However if the UK starts to tax its citizens abroad then you might have a case.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
No, No, No and thrice times NO. We live abroad and therefore are not directly affected by most English laws; only laws appertaining to our finances really affect us if the UK is not our normal domicile. .....
Finances are potentially pivotal to everything else in life, especially if you intend to return to the UK sooner or later.

My concern and objection would be that given the incredible range of situations of British citizens living overseas, the MP for expats would have a huge problem addressing the issues of all British citizens living overseas, with a constituency comprising international executives and those living in close to poverty, and everyone in between. And if the MP isn't in the ruling party then they would carry no weight and have negligible impact on government policy. ..... Perhaps a junior ministerial position for "expat affairs" would be more useful?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
No representation without taxation! If you don't pay your taxes in the UK you can't really expect to be represented in the UK parliament. However if the UK starts to tax its citizens abroad then you might have a case.
I would imagine very many expats do in fact pay tax to the uk government. Any one on a government pensions certainly will.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I would imagine very many expats do in fact pay tax to the uk government. Any one on a government pensions certainly will.
Why? If all they are getting is the state pension, then their income is under the Personal Allowance, so no tax due?

But even if they're earning over that, don't most countries tax their residents on income i.e somebody living in Canada would be taxed by the Canadian government on any income, even if earned in the UK. The UK government wouldn't usually get any tax from it if one is tax resident elsewhere and there is a tax treaty in place between the two countries. Is Spain different then?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 30th 2016 at 4:36 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why? If all they are getting is the state pension, then their income is under the Personal Allowance, so no tax due?

But even if they're earning over that, don't most countries tax their residents on income i.e somebody living in Canada would be taxed by the Canadian government on any income, even if earned in the UK. The UK government wouldn't usually get any tax from it if one is tax resident elsewhere and there is a tax treaty in place between the two countries. Is Spain different then?
Because if a person is a government pensioner I.e. Military, police most NHS etc then those pensions can only be taxed in the uk irrespective of where you live. If they are also state pensioners then the state pension will be taxed in their contry of residence
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am referring to government not state pension
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bobd22
I am referring to government not state pension
Ah, ok. I'd call a state pension a government pension, but I see what you mean now. Still a very small percentage of expats that will be taxed on their pensions in the UK though, few will be paying tax there at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.