Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It could happen to someone you know.

It could happen to someone you know.

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It could happen to someone you know.

here's hoping but on past performance EMR will not reply, create a fuss on another thread and come back quietly when no one is looking
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

My post was responding to those whoo believe that anyone holding a UK passport who returns to the UK should automatically and preferentially receive benefits.
1) UK Law does not permt that and we can debate that all we like but at the moment benefits are assesed on need not nationality and any past relationship to the UK.
2) Expats who leave have made a choice to do that, they have taken their assets, capital, tax, spending power out of the UK for whatever period they have left for.
Sometimes we have to take personal responsibility for our decisions in life an not expect preferential treatment if and when returnng to the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:22 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
here's hoping but on past performance EMR will not reply, create a fuss on another thread and come back quietly when no one is looking
You have been proved right, the question about the returnees concerned has not been answered.

Just a convoluted answer just as we expected..

True to form as usual
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:57 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

An answer I hope is simple enough for even the usual suspects to understand.
The law should be changed that anyone arriving in the UK and claiming benefits must have a min of 6 months paid UK employment and tax and NI contributions from the date of their arrival in the UK.
Holders of UK passports would be exempt if they had a record of at least 10 years of tax and NI contributions and had not been out of the UK for more than 24 months.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:06 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha
EMR, could you clear something up for me because I don’t understand you. A couple of days ago you suggest that the women the article refers to haven’t paid anything into the UK system for a number of years and HMG should not be expected to come to their aid. Now you say benefits are based on need and not contributions and aid should be provided on need. Well, if these women were not in need when they arrived back in their country of birth, who is? Do you now believe these women should have received benefits straight away?
Originally Posted by EMR
My post was responding to those whoo believe that anyone holding a UK passport who returns to the UK should automatically and preferentially receive benefits.
1) UK Law does not permt that and we can debate that all we like but at the moment benefits are assesed on need not nationality and any past relationship to the UK.
2) Expats who leave have made a choice to do that, they have taken their assets, capital, tax, spending power out of the UK for whatever period they have left for.
Sometimes we have to take personal responsibility for our decisions in life an not expect preferential treatment if and when returnng to the UK.
Originally Posted by EMR
An answer I hope is simple enough for even the usual suspects to understand.
The law should be changed that anyone arriving in the UK and claiming benefits must have a min of 6 months paid UK employment and tax and NI contributions from the date of their arrival in the UK.
Holders of UK passports would be exempt if they had a record of at least 10 years of tax and NI contributions and had not been out of the UK for more than 24 months.
la mancha, you now have the answer to your specific question, it is the type of answer a politician would give, innit?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

EMR, you still did not answer my original question. Once again you say, ‘at the moment benefits are assessed on need not nationality and any past relationship to the UK’. So I ask you again, do you think the women in the article in the original post had a right to benefits straight away as they were in need, regardless of any past history of tax and NI contributions?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:40 pm
EMR
Banned

As the article was n the DMail and probably full of half truths it does not deserve a serious response.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:48 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The returnees from Spain to the UK are usually pensioners, and have usually had more than ten years in Spain. When they came to Spain they brought their British entitlements with them, under EU law.

When they return, they are merely returning with their British entitlements, normally a state pension as well as one or more from previous employment, previously paid for.

Those pensions and further possible income from investments, come from their endeavours while working in the UK. They may even have added to them while contributing to the Spanish state system, and when they return their entire package returns with them - which is why the UK welcomes them with open arms as they spend their money back home.

Certain benefits may also be available to the poorer ones and I can't see anyone complaining about that, unless you only read the Daily Mail and have a distorted view of life. (I read it along with others to get a balance).
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

So, Domino, Me Me, you were both right, I couldn’t get a straight answer. I didn’t really expect one because EMR doesn’t know what he is talking about. To repeat, I think that British people returning to the UK in need deserve every bit of help the UK government can give them to help get them back on their feet.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

If a British citizen cannot ask the UK for help when they have problems, who can they ask? This is not about ‘handouts’ or who was born where, or when they last paid taxes in the UK. Every civilised country has an obligation to help its own. The UK helps plenty of people around the world but when it comes to its own it is sadly lacking.
I love the way you refer to them as "it's own", they used to be part of UK but chose to leave, to emigrate. They went of their own volition, nobody asked or forced them to go, many have delighted in telling us everything that is wrong with UK and everything that is wonderful with their chosen home. They are happy to gloat, until the mierda hits the fan, then everything they hated about UK seems be forgotten, they seem to think they have the right to walk back in and carry on as if nothing has happened in the last 10, 20, 30 years they have been away. Who should they turn to? Why the country they moved to in preference to remaining in UK of course.
Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region with the intent to settle permanently in another
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by agoreira
I love the way you refer to them as "it's own", they used to be part of UK but chose to leave, to emigrate. They went of their own volition, nobody asked or forced them to go, many have delighted in telling us everything that is wrong with UK and everything that is wonderful with their chosen home. They are happy to gloat, until the mierda hits the fan, then everything they hated about UK seems be forgotten, they seem to think they have the right to walk back in and carry on as if nothing has happened in the last 10, 20, 30 years they have been away. Who should they turn to? Why the country they moved to in preference to remaining in UK of course.

They deserve help because they are British. Their DNA goes back generations. According to your logic, anyone who emigrates has no rights in their country of origin. What rubbish. I have never heard such anti-British comments as I have heard here. What is it with you people? A British person falls on hard times in Spain, for example, and some on here seem to gloat on it. Can one of you anti-British posters tell me why you dislike British people so much, or are you so smug in your own lives that you cannot see beyond your own four walls? And you seem to be putting everyone in the same category. Not every British person moving to Spain delights in telling everyone else what is wrong in Britain.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:28 pm
EMR
Banned

Next we will hear them called " White Christians ".
There s no such thng as a British race we are probably one of the most dverse ( unless you exclude the interbred so call aristocracy and Royals ) in the world.
That is what makes us a great nation Yes you can believe that without being a bigot etc etc.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

So, Domino, Me Me, you were both right, I couldn’t get a straight answer. I didn’t really expect one because EMR doesn’t know what he is talking about. To repeat, I think that British people returning to the UK in need deserve every bit of help the UK government can give them to help get them back on their feet.
At least you got an answer, when I asked MeMe a question on this thread I received no answer.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

EMR, I don’t know what the hell you are talking about.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:52 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the anti-expat comments come from jealous stay-at-homes who lack the courage to do what the expats have done. A million have come to Spain and quite a few probably shouldn't have done if they really thought through their future lives in a foreign country.

But life's an adventure and I admire people who've turned away from the security of home to see a bit of this big world of ours, even if it's only a two-hour flight away.

If I was in the trenches somewhere fighting for my country, I would rather have an expat next to me rather than the stay-at-home who might faint when looking over the top at an advancing horde of foreigners.

There's no need to be afraid of Spanish people, you'll find them much the same as the rest of us when you come to live among them. Apart from the Gitanos, maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.