Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It could happen to someone you know.

It could happen to someone you know.

Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:57 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute
Default It could happen to someone you know.

The Shirley Valentines back in Britain... and broke: First their sunshine marriages fell apart. Then the Greek financial crisis forced them home - where they were in for an even nastier surprise
Last year, 81,000 British citizens returned to Britain from living abroad
They're required to pass the Habitual Residence Test (HRT)
This determines whether you're eligible for benefits
It's the same test non-UK citizens arriving for the first time have to take
But HRT is so strict, sometimes actual UK citizens don't pass...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz2kzf9fQPY
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:18 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It could happen to someone you know.

surely you are entitled to move from Greece to UK as they are all part of the EU. Having a child should also mean something. And also being a British National with passport.

if it is that difficult how come so many people are wetting themselves at all those "entitled" from 1 Jan 14 to come over from the "IA" countries of Europe ???
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:44 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

See they got their benefits in the end though! They had been out of the country for more than 20 years, why shouldn't they have to do the test.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Because she is British. What she should have done was to register as self-employed, bought a few issues of the Big Issue, and then go straight to the benefits office.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Alcalaina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackytoo
See they got their benefits in the end though! They had been out of the country for more than 20 years, why shouldn't they have to do the test.
Should you have had to do it then, after 15 years in Marbella?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alcalaina
Should you have had to do it then, after 15 years in Marbella?
Perhaps because I didn't marry a Spanish waiter
Return with teenage children born in Spain
Ask for a house and benefits
Still owned property and shares in the UK

Anymore questions pal
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:07 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If she had not been resident in the UK for the past 12 months maybe she should have and certainly would have to now, what ever the circumstances.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Perhaps because I didn't marry a Spanish waiter
Return with teenage children born in Spain
Ask for a house and benefits
Still owned property and shares in the UK

Anymore questions pal

Doesn’t matter the personal circumstances. A British subject fallen on hard times and returning to the UK deserves help to get on their feet. Britain talks about humanitarian aid. Maybe they should practice what they preach a bit nearer to home.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 6:19 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

No one forced them to leave the UK, they could have stayed paid their taxes but they chose to do otherwise.
We have to accept responsibility for our own decisions and not expect handouts.
How many arrive back in the UK having paid no UK tax for years and some no Spanish or Portuguese tax etc expecting HMG to come to their aid.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
No one forced them to leave the UK, they could have stayed paid their taxes but they chose to do otherwise.
How many arrive back in the UK having paid no UK tax for years and some no Spanish or Portuguese tax etc expecting HMG to come to their aid.
If a British citizen cannot ask the UK for help when they have problems, who can they ask? This is not about ‘handouts’ or who was born where, or when they last paid taxes in the UK. Every civilised country has an obligation to help its own. The UK helps plenty of people around the world but when it comes to its own it is sadly lacking.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 6:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
I hope you repeat this ridiculous statement when the next holidaymaker gets mugged, loses wallet, loses passport and asks the embassy staff for assistance.

To my mind it makes no difference if they have been here (or Greece) for 20mins or 20 years - they are UK nationals and require assistance.
If we can give it to foreigners why can't we give it to our own

There but for the grace of God go I

I for one will remember your statement and when you have questions about life in Spain will be at the front to tell you to sort it out yourself

Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:59 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I hope you repeat this ridiculous statement when the next holidaymaker gets mugged, loses wallet, loses passport and asks the embassy staff for assistance.

To my mind it makes no difference if they have been here (or Greece) for 20mins or 20 years - they are UK nationals and require assistance.
If we can give it to foreigners why can't we give it to our own

There but for the grace of God go I

I for one will remember your statement and when you have questions about life in Spain will be at the front to tell you to sort it out yourself

I agree.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:02 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha
If a British citizen cannot ask the UK for help when they have problems, who can they ask? This is not about ‘handouts’ or who was born where, or when they last paid taxes in the UK. Every civilised country has an obligation to help its own. The UK helps plenty of people around the world but when it comes to its own it is sadly lacking.
And another good post.

The problem is that the UK has to help a lot of people from uncivilised countries, too as those countires don´t give a stuff how their own live.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
And another good post.

The problem is that the UK has to help a lot of people from uncivilised countries, too as those countires don´t give a stuff how their own live.
Just out of interest could you give me a couple of examples of what "uncivilised" countries you are referring to?.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Just out of interest could you give me a couple of examples of what "uncivilised" countries you are referring to?.
You mean you don´t know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.