Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It could happen to someone you know.

It could happen to someone you know.

Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It could happen to someone you know.

Originally Posted by me me
You mean you don´t know?
How do I know what countries you consider are uncivilised?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:55 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

In Me Me 's world anywhere that is not like 1950,s UK , no immigrants and everyone knowing their place in uncivilised.
By that definition the UK is now uncivilised.
Regarding repatriots the UK rules should be applied to them in just the same way as any other peroson arriving at our shores with nothing.
UK law does not allow for anythng else.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:05 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
In Me Me 's world anywhere that is not like 1950,s UK , no immigrants and everyone knowing their place in uncivilised.
Regarding repatriots the UK rules should be applied to them in just the same way as any other peroson arriving at our shores with nothing.
UK law does not allow for anythng else.
considering that immediately post-war Britain suffered a severe labour shortage to provide services and that the immigrants were brought from the West Indies from 1948 (see Empire Windrush) then there were loads of immigrants in the UK.
Especially as for the preceeding years of war the country had become a home to "foreigners" from across Europe and the Atlantic, many of whom didn't want to go back home.

the biggest problem is that someone forgot to turn the tap off and the pendulum has swung the other way.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:03 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

In Hayes west London there was a company called Wolfe Rubber.
One of the family had been an officer in an Indian regiment during the war.
The company was in need of labour and Major wolfe invited one of his Sikh non coms to move to the UK with his family.
Wolfe Rubber soon became one of the biggest local employers of Sikhs, then came the boom at Heathrow and the rest is history.
Without the thousands who came from India and Pakistan in the 60,s the UK economy in the Heathrow area would have been very different from the boom it was. UK capitalism and capitalists are the reason for the changes that so many find uncomfortable but there is no turning the clock back.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Alcalaina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Perhaps because I didn't marry a Spanish waiter
Aw, never mind hon, better luck next time!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Regarding repatriots the UK rules should be applied to them in just the same way as any other peroson arriving at our shores with nothing.UK law does not allow for anythng else.
Why? Justify this.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
In Hayes west London there was a company called Wolfe Rubber.
One of the family had been an officer in an Indian regiment during the war.
The company was in need of labour and Major wolfe invited one of his Sikh non coms to move to the UK with his family.
Wolfe Rubber soon became one of the biggest local employers of Sikhs, then came the boom at Heathrow and the rest is history.
Without the thousands who came from India and Pakistan in the 60,s the UK economy in the Heathrow area would have been very different from the boom it was. UK capitalism and capitalists are the reason for the changes that so many find uncomfortable but there is no turning the clock back.
R. Woolf Rubber Company had previous history - in the depression years of the 1930's they brought in less than subsistance wage workers from South Wales, Co Durham and Ireland.

I am not asking anyone to turn the clock back - what I want is for people to understand that they opened the gates, with good reason, in 1948.
What some do not (or is that want not) understand is that the tap needs to be turned off, there are big puddles on the floor.
65 years of unrestricted immigration for a 1948 reason is totally unsustainable.
Remember, one worker can easily bring in 4 non-workers, some of whom will never have a job and be a nett drain on the system. The others will reach an age when they want a job and someone has to find it for them - if there are any to be had. This can and does drive down salaries. And then there are those who are looking for a growth in their situation rather than a fall.

By the way, Sikh's are a relgious faction in the same way as Christians, Muslim's and Hindu's.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:32 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

So if i and the wife go back to the UK and go for help, we will be turned away and told to go to the charities.. yet the Man and woman who just arrive from Poland will get put up in a Hotel and get help.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:03 am
EMR
Banned

Its is very simple for those who do not understand.
In the UK, UK law , benefits are based on NEED not contributions.
HMG wants to change this with regard to those arrving from abroad and introduce a qualifying period but such a change would also apply to those who have left the UK and retrun after some years.
Tom and Irene you would get benefits if you could prove you needed them.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by EMR
Its is very simple for those who do not understand.
In the UK, UK law , benefits are based on NEED not contributions.
HMG wants to change this with regard to those arrving from abroad and introduce a qualifying period but such a change would also apply to those who have left the UK and retrun after some years.
Tom and Irene you would get benefits if you could prove you needed them.
so how come when you try to get benefits you can be refused because you haven't made enough contributions.

generally the family from X will come claiming no money, no job, no opportunities, no home etc. Any money they may have will be squirreled with close family back in X and there is no way of checking any different.
I remember a family of 5 or 6 from an "IA" country arriving in a clapped out Mondeo with all their belongings. Housed in hotel for a week whilst house prepared for them, a couple of weeks later they were complaining to local paper that the house they were given was too small for them.
Brits returning from Spain will be treated as failures, will have all their monies investigated and reasons why they don't have money from a house to sell in Spain as well as why they don't have relatives who can help them.
easy meat for the investigators who like the easy tasks, more tasks per week is better than spending all week on one (as management will agree).

but if a Brit pensioner then it is unlikely there would be a total refusal, although it will take longer to get a retirement flat than a family from X will take to get a home. most councils seem to keep a back pocket full of properties for those who walk in from the EU on the off chance.

although being able to fill in all the necessary forms in a manner that shows you to be in dire need helps...and there are people out there who can help, sometimes for free.

Last edited by Domino; Nov 23rd 2013 at 9:56 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

although being able to fill in all the necessary forms in a manner that shows you to be in dire need helps...and there are people out there who can help, sometimes for free.
Us taxpayers will be paying for the translators, lol
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:25 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Her Britannic Majesty´s Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary .... as written on the first page of our UK passports.
This lady is need of such assistance and so it should be given. This does not constitute the removal of her children and handed to foster homes!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
Her Britannic Majesty´s Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary .... as written on the first page of our UK passports.
This lady is need of such assistance and so it should be given. This does not constitute the removal of her children and handed to foster homes!!!
I think that bit relates to when the bearer of the passport travels to another country, Stu - once they get back to their own, all bets are off!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

EMR, could you clear something up for me because I don’t understand you. A couple of days ago you suggest that the women the article refers to haven’t paid anything into the UK system for a number of years and HMG should not be expected to come to their aid. Now you say benefits are based on need and not contributions and aid should be provided on need. Well, if these women were not in need when they arrived back in their country of birth, who is? Do you now believe these women should have received benefits straight away?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:52 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha
EMR, could you clear something up for me because I don’t understand you. A couple of days ago you suggest that the women the article refers to haven’t paid anything into the UK system for a number of years and HMG should not be expected to come to their aid. Now you say benefits are based on need and not contributions and aid should be provided on need. Well, if these women were not in need when they arrived back in their country of birth, who is? Do you now believe these women should have received benefits straight away?
Good question, it will be interesting to see the answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.