Reload this Page >

Costa Del Sol winter weather

Costa Del Sol winter weather

Old Apr 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

wiffle? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costa Del Sol winter weather

My wife really feels the cold

We are planning to move to the South of Spain (not sure where yet!) in October and altho the temps quoted on the net seem fine in the winter months, have read elsewhere that it gets cold and damp.

It is one thing to be cold outside, but another to be cold in your own house!

Is it possible to find houses that are well insulated and with heating?

Many thanks for any info
Old Apr 7th 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Del Sol winter weather

Originally Posted by wiffle?
My wife really feels the cold

We are planning to move to the South of Spain (not sure where yet!) in October and altho the temps quoted on the net seem fine in the winter months, have read elsewhere that it gets cold and damp.

It is one thing to be cold outside, but another to be cold in your own house!

Is it possible to find houses that are well insulated and with heating?

Many thanks for any info
Hi Wiffle?...welcome to the forum..I am sure you will have fun and also learn a great deal from all the very knowledgeable folks on here...
With regard to your question, do not underestimate the Spanish weather, even in the far south it can still get very cold at night and even in the day out of the sun..
Houses...now how long is a piece of string...generally the old spanish village houses with thick walls do not have damp proof courses which can lead to them being damp, same with older country properties...but there are such a wide variety of houses to choose from you should be able to find a modern house with heating of some description, even central heating as lots have been built by northern europeans who feel the cold and like their luxuries...it all depends on what you are looking for ..old or new, some old finca's have been completely modernized and had heating installed and the damp problems sorted out, its just a matter of looking at many properties and there are many....
Old Apr 7th 2007, 5:04 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

The important thing to remember is the weather is a lot better than the UK. I went to the Costa Del Sol in January, and although it wasnt particularly warm especially at night, it was still very bright and sunny. That certinately makes up for the dark cold drizzle.

The only drawback i found of that is when walking into shops and restuarants there wasnt that warm homely feeling because obviously its usually a lot warmer, and people were dragging heaters up from their basements! Apparanly it was particularly cold at the end of January this year.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
The important thing to remember is the weather is a lot better than the UK. I went to the Costa Del Sol in January, and although it wasnt particularly warm especially at night, it was still very bright and sunny. That certinately makes up for the dark cold drizzle.

The only drawback i found of that is when walking into shops and restuarants there wasnt that warm homely feeling because obviously its usually a lot warmer, and people were dragging heaters up from their basements! Apparanly it was particularly cold at the end of January this year.
Warmer in the UK than here at the moment. Sitting here with thick jumper on and the heating on whilst my daughter in Exeter is sitting in the garden in the sunshine in a thin t shirt......something wrong somewhere. When are we going to get some warmer weather?
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:35 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Went into Chiclana town to day (OK it's not Costa del Sol but it's just round the corner) we had jeans, jumpers and coats on, bumped into friends over from UK could tell they were tourist as they had shorts and T-shirts on.

We shut up shop early to day and put the heating on as it got quite chilly early on. Oh forgot to mention the rain but it did brighten up late afternoon.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I recall snow a little below Barcelona how far down has any one else seen snow.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
We had snow and frost in Malaga last year, the farmers were hosing the snow off of the crops only for it to freeze..destroyed all the avocado trees plus a few lemon and orange trees...first time in living memory apparently..but...... mostly fab weather.....
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I think it snowed on the beaches at Almeria last year for a couple of minutes ;-)
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

helen17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had to get those moisture catchers as the house is damp, dont know whether it is just cos its new and the first winter and it needs some sun to dry it out or whether we are always going to have damp in the winter. Heaters and log fire essential items! Along with jumpers and sweat shirts and warm coats. Still better than the uk though.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you`re over 60 apply for the heating allowence in UK then you can transfer it here.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
If you`re over 60 apply for the heating allowence in UK then you can transfer it here.
OH just applied for his, have to be 60 before you leave the UK, hopefully he just sneaked in there still waiting to hear from them been about 2 months now.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by helen17
Had to get those moisture catchers as the house is damp, dont know whether it is just cos its new and the first winter and it needs some sun to dry it out or whether we are always going to have damp in the winter. Heaters and log fire essential items! Along with jumpers and sweat shirts and warm coats. Still better than the uk though.

I use these moisture catchers in my wardrobes, house 7 years old but I still get about a litre of water every month, they are a godsend and a must if you live by the coast. Sitting here to night in shorts and t-shirt but the heating is on how mad is that.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I use these moisture catchers in my wardrobes, house 7 years old but I still get about a litre of water every month, they are a godsend and a must if you live by the coast. Sitting here to night in shorts and t-shirt but the heating is on how mad is that.
... ..As mad as a mad thing......
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I think you have to be in UK on a date in September after you are 60. ;-)
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

yes we have seen snow - not far from us either

a lot of people have the mis conception that Spain is sunny and warm all the time - and I keep hearing 360 days of sunshine a year ummmmmm NO

on saying that yes of course our winters are a lot milder than UK - but no carpets or central heating in my house which make a big difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.