cost of living

Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

oskarkeeley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of living

We (incl. son aged 4) are planning to relocate from sleepy Shropshire to Madrid.
Can anyone recommend useful websites where we can find calculator tools to compare cost of living and salary requirements between the two locations, please?
Cheers
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by oskarkeeley
We (incl. son aged 4) are planning to relocate from sleepy Shropshire to Madrid.
Can anyone recommend useful websites where we can find calculator tools to compare cost of living and salary requirements between the two locations, please?
Cheers
I've looked at this before, dont think there are any tools really.

When I was offered a job in Madrid three years ago, I was told that salaries are 30% lower than on London because the cost of living is also about 30% cheaper. However, that was when the exchange rate was 1.5, so it may not be so much cheaper now, although salaries are still lower.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:00 am
Just Joined

BorderGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Would also be interested in hearing peoples opinions of cost of living in Spain compared to UK.

How do prices compare to UK? eg food, electric, household white goods, insurances etc.

What about supermarkets? Local markets etc.

So many questions, not enough answers.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:22 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BorderGirl
Would also be interested in hearing peoples opinions of cost of living in Spain compared to UK.

How do prices compare to UK? eg food, electric, household white goods, insurances etc.

What about supermarkets? Local markets etc.

So many questions, not enough answers.
In my experience in Spain (12 years) the cost of living has risen dramatically with wages the same as they were 10 years ago. I honestly dont know how some people live on the basic salary. The average salary where I live is 1.000 Euros per month and I find the cost of living very high. Especially in the supermarkets and kids clothing. Another factor to consider is that if you have kids you get no help at all from the government. Basically I think the cost of living now is on a par with the uk and the wages slightly lower.

Just my humble opinion.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
. Another factor to consider is that if you have kids you get no help at all from the government.
You get loads of help from the government if you have children. There are very generous tax breaks for each child which can add up to thousands of euros a year. And if you have a low income you can get free nursery and things like free text books and school trips.

Referring to the original question. How much things costs depends on where you want to live and what your lifestyle is like, it can be more expensive in Spain, about the same or a lot cheaper.

If you live in a village in the middle of nowhere, send your children to local school, eat local food and dont have a car it will be much cheaper in Spain.

If you live in the centre of a major city or somewhere like Marbella, send your children to international school, have cleaners etc, eat out a lot, it could be much more expensive
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

BorderGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

By the time we move somewhere, my youngest will have left school, she's 13 now. Another reason for not doing anything now as don't want to interrupt her schooling, also my husband only has 5 years until he retires.

We would look at trying to source most of our fresh food from local markets, our markets here are quite expensive and of course the food isn't as fresh as it would be in Spain. Already do the juggling and searching for cheapest products, some of course can't be beaten, Heinz etc.

It would only be basics from supermarkets etc. Am I right that there are a lot of big supermarkets eg lidl, aldi and Iceland's, in some places.As well as Spanish equivelents.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:22 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
You get loads of help from the government if you have children. There are very generous tax breaks for each child which can add up to thousands of euros a year. And if you have a low income you can get free nursery and things like free text books and school trips.

Referring to the original question. How much things costs depends on where you want to live and what your lifestyle is like, it can be more expensive in Spain, about the same or a lot cheaper.

If you live in a village in the middle of nowhere, send your children to local school, eat local food and dont have a car it will be much cheaper in Spain.

If you live in the centre of a major city or somewhere like Marbella, send your children to international school, have cleaners etc, eat out a lot, it could be much more expensive
I do get some tax breaks but certailly no where near 1000´s of euros. No free or subsidised text books until the child is 6 years old and I pay full for school meals and trips.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

oskarkeeley is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all your comments but still, does anyone know of an online calculating tool that will calculate required gross salaries to keep same standard of living in Madrid as in Shropshire (the tools I have found so far are very basic and only compare major cities, i.e. London to Madrid)?
Cheers
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:55 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really think that you are being fair, telling a person about all the great benefits that are available in Spain for people with children?

You make it sound so easy.................

And quite frankly as a childless man you have never had first hand experience of trying to get the said generous benefits.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS
Do you really think that you are being fair, telling a person about all the great benefits that are available in Spain for people with children?

You make it sound so easy.................

And quite frankly as a childless man you have never had first hand experience of trying to get the said generous benefits.
What, so you are saying it isnt true then??? You are a bit stupid, all you have to do is tick a box on your tax form and you get the tax breaks for children, it couldnt be easier! Dont you pay taxes!?

I'm looking forward to the generous tax breaks when we have children, and they are generous! Shame they got rid of the baby cheque though, although completely understandable.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I'm looking forward to the generous tax breaks when we have children,

Tax breaks are not much use for someone on a low income.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Tax breaks are not much use for someone on a low income.
If someone earns so little money that they do not even pay tax then I definitely do not recommend that they immigrate to Spain. It is not the country for them!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:28 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

What, so you are saying it isnt true then??? You are a bit stupid, all you have to do is tick a box on your tax form and you get the tax breaks for children, it couldnt be easier! Dont you pay taxes!?

I'm looking forward to the generous tax breaks when we have children, and they are generous! Shame they got rid of the baby cheque though, although completely understandable.

We are talking about the OP a person who wants to calculate the cost of living and work out what they will be able to afford if they move to Spain.

I have reached the conclusion that, they need to do their sums before decidin as they are not:

1. Lottery winners

2. Highly paid footballer

3. Not living off a huge trust fund.

I do understand about filling in the tax form and being allowed for children, ( so dont call me stupid, got it?) but depending on the time of year they arrive in Spain, that could be a long way away, before the tax is due assessed and the allowance taken into consideration.

And of course if you dont pay much tax you cannot have a big tax discount can you???? But that is just nitpicking on my part...............

Anyway could you not use your knowledge to help other expats on this forum, like CBANDY to get what is rightfully his, as he obviously is not as "clued up" on these matters as you are?

There are loads of other posters with children who would also be grateful for any tips you could give.

I would seek out your advice myself over child benefits, but unfortunatley my children are independant, so I personally have no need of you expertise.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS
We are talking about the OP a person who wants to calculate the cost of living and work out what they will be able to afford if they move to Spain.

I have reached the conclusion that, they need to do their sums before decidin as they are not:

1. Lottery winners

2. Highly paid footballer

3. Not living off a huge trust fund.

I do understand about filling in the tax form and being allowed for children, ( so dont call me stupid, got it?) but depending on the time of year they arrive in Spain, that could be a long way away, before the tax is due assessed and the allowance taken into consideration.

And of course if you dont pay much tax you cannot have a big tax discount can you???? But that is just nitpicking on my part...............

Anyway could you not use your knowledge to help other expats on this forum, like CBANDY to get what is rightfully his, as he obviously is not as "clued up" on these matters as you are?

There are loads of other posters with children who would also be grateful for any tips you could give.

I would seek out your advice myself over child benefits, but unfortunatley my children are independant, so I personally have no need of you expertise.
I was only correcting what CBandy said so that other posters would not be mislead

I am not the best authority to consult, they are best to go to the Spanish authorities to do that.

I would not recommend coming to Spain unless your language abilities allow you to communicate with the authorities and the people around you.

Although plenty of British people do come to Spain without any savings, any jobs or any language skills it is not a position I would recommend unless you are very young and have no responsibilities or are retired and have a pension you can live off.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:10 am
Banned

I was only correcting what CBandy said so that other posters would not be mislead

I am not the best authority to consult, they are best to go to the Spanish authorities to do that.

I would not recommend coming to Spain unless your language abilities allow you to communicate with the authorities and the people around you.

Although plenty of British people do come to Spain without any savings, any jobs or any language skills it is not a position I would recommend unless you are very young and have no responsibilities or are retired and have a pension you can live off.
So Cbandy is wrong, and you as usual are right.

He has children, you dont.

He claims for his children for what he is entitled to right now.
You are looking forward to the day when you become a father for the generous benefits that they will give you.

Cbandy sounds like a man more in tune with the OP who have similar circumstance to his.

You on the other hand have no experience in Spain of having to "rough it" or struggle and neither have the peole you know, because they all have good uni degrees in sought after fields.

Cbandy talks about the "Freebies" he gets which are not so generous as you make out.

BUT YOU NEED TO CORRECT HIM..............is that right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.