Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cooking Fish - Fletan???

Cooking Fish - Fletan???

Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Cooking Fish - Fletan???

Anyone know what fish exactly is Fletan? I cant find a straight answer in the dictionary or online.

Also...whats the best way to cook it...normally it falls apart as its so delicate.

Any help soon would be great.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:06 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cooking Fish - Fletan???

Originally Posted by j0197
Anyone know what fish exactly is Fletan? I cant find a straight answer in the dictionary or online.

Also...whats the best way to cook it...normally it falls apart as its so delicate.

Any help soon would be great.
Turbot (Greenland halibut).

Taken from cold Northwest Atlantic waters.

I would suggest baking it in loosly sealed tin foil with white wine, vegetables/herbs of your choice.
Thicken some single cream in a pan with some red chilli (or a spot of wasabi paste) and garlic then pour this over and serve.

Second option is the old poach in a little milk or single cream with a spot of mild mustard and a few cloves.

Enjoy
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:12 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Just found plenty of recipies Here
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Thanks very much...will have to try recipe next time...already eaten it, I kind of fried it, but it wasnt very good, its very very delicate isnt it?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi

We have this quite often, I just poach it slightly in milk and whilst it is resting I quickly add some cream to the milk and a few diced mushroom and a little dab of mustard, thicken up and then pour this over the fish that is now laying on top of some fresh pasta (taglatelli, Can't spell that) or just have it with some good old fashion mashed potatoes made with lots of butter, cream and cheese yum yum. I don't think you can beat the flavour of this fish so just enjoy it with no clothes on. The fish not you....
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBull
Turbot (Greenland halibut).
You're right, Fletan is Greenland Halibut but Turbot is Rodaballo. "Real" Halibut is a different fish and very much bigger.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:45 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

Originally Posted by j0197
Thanks very much...will have to try recipe next time...already eaten it, I kind of fried it, but it wasnt very good, its very very delicate isnt it?
Your very welcome.
It's lovely, i adore fish of this type.