Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

construction work ( electrician )

construction work ( electrician )

Old Jan 31st 2006, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

britishsparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default construction work ( electrician )

is the construction industry still busy in spain, and what system is there for getting work? i.e in the uk i can call someone i know or an agency and get temporary work (might be 12mths but its still temporary) litterally turn up on site ready for work ,give bank details,N.I there and then and its get to work.
looking for electrical work (appartments etc) mid to south east coast spain!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: construction work ( electrician )

Originally Posted by britishsparky
is the construction industry still busy in spain, and what system is there for getting work? i.e in the uk i can call someone i know or an agency and get temporary work (might be 12mths but its still temporary) litterally turn up on site ready for work ,give bank details,N.I there and then and its get to work.
looking for electrical work (appartments etc) mid to south east coast spain!
Can you speak Spanish fluently ?
Are you in a Spanish trade union ?
Do you know the Spanish Regs ?

Most major building works are Spanish run, but you might be lucky and get some casual work off the Brits.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Can you speak Spanish fluently ?
Are you in a Spanish trade union ?
Do you know the Spanish Regs ?

Most major building works are Spanish run, but you might be lucky and get some casual work off the Brits.
no. but a friend of friend also had none of the above and has picked up 5 years work in benidorm ?
a union usually just involves a fee, the regs is learnable quickly, language can't teach an old dog new tricks but willing to!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Programme on tv last week, where in Granada province British sparky did all the electric's but was not certified to sign the paperwork afterwards for the people concerned to get a meter.
They had to get another electrician, also British but he appeared to be going to charge her again to do the same work, but, he was able to sign the documents afterwards for them to get the meter. He was going to do all the work again.
JDR is quite right in my opinion re rules and regs here, things are tighter than you might think.
But best of luck and hope you find a job.
pwwm
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

paulven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwwm
Programme on tv last week, where in Granada province British sparky did all the electric's but was not certified to sign the paperwork afterwards for the people concerned to get a meter.
They had to get another electrician, also British but he appeared to be going to charge her again to do the same work, but, he was able to sign the documents afterwards for them to get the meter. He was going to do all the work again.
JDR is quite right in my opinion re rules and regs here, things are tighter than you might think.
But best of luck and hope you find a job.
pwwm
I'm an electrician/maintenance tech., and so that my qualifications are recognised in Spain, I obtained a European Certificate of Experience, and had it translated and notarised.
To get the Certificate, you have to apply to the Department of Education and Skills, with all relevant qualifications and references from employers.
The Spanish electrical regs. are very similar to the British, the E.U. is moving towards standardisation .
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulven
I'm an electrician/maintenance tech., and so that my qualifications are recognised in Spain, I obtained a European Certificate of Experience, and had it translated and notarised.
To get the Certificate, you have to apply to the Department of Education and Skills, with all relevant qualifications and references from employers.
The Spanish electrical regs. are very similar to the British, the E.U. is moving towards standardisation .
One can only hope

The Spanish in general are pretty tight on building regs for public places, hotels and offices, with fire being a big concern. That doesn't mean, of course, that everything always gets done by the book and often it isn't, but sometimes a closer examination is made of a particular construction and the qualifications of those building it.

Tossing in my two centimos worth, I'd have to say that, again in general, UK electrical work seems to be of a better standard than what I've come across in Spain. I was just checking my house wiring, in Spain, for leakage between earth/live/neutral, crossed live/neutrals, earth continuity, and general securing of sockets and fittings and I can't say I'm overly happy. There's going to have to be some corrective work done to meet my personal standards ...
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

had it translated and notarised.
all done here in the uk ? links ?
isn't "notary" also what they call there N.I number or like an i.d number ?.
is there a national health service?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ring mains ?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me jdr if I am wrong but I am led to believe ring mains here are illegal.
Curious
pwwm
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by britishsparky
all done here in the uk ? links ?
isn't "notary" also what they call there N.I number or like an i.d number ?.
is there a national health service?
You're suffering from a bit (or perhaps a lot) of confusion.
A notary is a notary in English and a notario in Spanish, used to notarise legal documents.
N.I.E is the Numero de Indentidad de Extranjeros - an ID number for foreigners.
National health service is available if you are paying contributions (either as self-employed, or through your employer) into the Spanish Social Security (Seguridad Social), unless you qualify by other means (being a pensioner, etc).

Sorry, can't decipher the first part of your message.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Correct me jdr if I am wrong but I am led to believe ring mains here are illegal.
Curious
pwwm
That is why I quoted paulven saying the Spanish regs are similar to the English ones. They would never get passed here.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:13 am
Just Joined

paulven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
That is why I quoted paulven saying the Spanish regs are similar to the English ones. They would never get passed here.
When I Wrote that Spanish regs. are similar to English ones,I was referring to
regulations for electrical installations, not to wiring practices, in Spain, as in
most other countries, radial circuits are used for domestic power circuits, and also double pole circuit breakers on each circuit. Because lots of the plugs can be engaged in the socket either way round, never take for granted that an appliance is not live just because it's switched off.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

When we bought this place it had bell wire, I used to "bounce" off the sink in the kitchen if I touched something else ie cooker or kettle etc.

They also left live wires dangling from the ceiling's when they took the light fittings, silly us, said we did not want anything, and they took us at our word.
All now safely fixed :scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

When we bought this place it had bell wire, I used to "bounce" off the sink in the kitchen if I touched something else ie cooker or kettle etc.

They also left live wires dangling from the ceiling's when they took the light fittings, silly us, said we did not want anything, and they took us at our word.
All now safely fixed :scared:
I have seen new places with bare wires dangling from the ceiling's