Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Considering the move. Noob:)

Considering the move. Noob:)

Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice
Default Considering the move. Noob:)

Hay All,

I'm a noobie to the Spain forums (HI) but I've been around on BE for some time although on the Australian side of the site.

We've recently been looking at Spain to relocate from the UK and the offer of a years rental of a family villa in the Costa Blanca has made it a lot more real to us.
Starting from square one, I've been trawling through all the various Spain sites reading the "thinking of moving here" sections and it all seems fairly simple on the face of it.

We have two boys (6&7) and I work as a freelance designer/illustrator and the OH is a Holistic Massage Therapist so I can make a modest income via the net while the wife
sets up her thing and we're not really that extravagant regarding spending.

Not wanting to sound like I want to be spoon fed but have any of you any insights to moving over there with a young family on a budget such as the pitfalls or the non-obvious
things to be aware of from your experience/s?
Not being loaded we have to view a move of this sort as pretty permanent especially as we'd hate to disrupt the kids education again.

We're having one of those real head vs heart moments so any of your thoughts are most welcome
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:10 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering the move. Noob:)

If I were you, I'd make it clear to everyone, including the kids and their schools that its for say, six months! A six months adventure and after that you plan to return. Then if it isnt what you want you can simply return with your heads held high having had "an adventure". However, if its great, you all like it and it works out, then dont go back!!?????

Jo xxx
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

That's damn good advice Jo
Thing is we rent in a small village so I doubt we'd be able to return to the house and the over subscribed village school so another thing for us to consider.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:33 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I cant comment on your house, but I'm fairly sure that the school wouldnt turn your kids away should they wish to return as long as you make it clear that its going to happen!!????

That said, things you need to know, altho you havent got rent to pay (a significant bonus), I assume you'll have utilities to pay for, food, transport, etc - most of which isnt much cheaper, if at all to the UK. Altho Spanish schools are free, all books have to be bought and paid for and can run into 100s of euros. And unless you have paid into the spanish social security system for a minimum of three months, you wont be eligible for any benefits or financial help at all!! And unemployment is running very high in Spain 20% and rising, its even worse for those who dont speak spanish or have a profession. So thats the bad side of things.

but, it would be a shame to miss an opportunity! See what you can work out? If you need to return stay with family temporarily or something????? But maybe you wont need to? Life maybe perfect here for you???

Jo xxx
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

It´s always a lovely idea but realities are that unless you have an independent income life is tough. Our daughter and family tried it for 18 months even with our support they have ended with massive debts and had to return to England saddled with them. In six years we have seen many, many families leave. I think it is great if you can afford to come but so many are literally returning with NOTHING. It is lovely to have a dream but one has to be practical but saying that if you have made up your mind you will still come. I just hate to see families leaving their dream and returning with less than they had come out with.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:56 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

He's already said he can make an income via the net (and rent paid for a year), so perhaps posters here are answering the wrong question? However he should certainly be investigating the tax issue.

I'd certainly budget for Spanish lessons, at least to start with, otherwise you're making your life more difficult than you need to. Also, and I'm sure many will shout at me here, get some kind of cooking lessons (even if it's just youtube) using all the local produce. You see so many people complaining about high food prices, yet when you ask them what's so expensive it tends to be imported stuff like baked beans. Learn to use and cook the wide range of local beans! If there is something you won't be able to do without from the UK, maybe teabags, bring enough over to last the year!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much guys

These really are the kind of issues I was hoping for advice about.
I should have made it clearer but we will have to pay some rent. The good thing is it's ready to move in and we've stayed before and so familiar with it.
Yes, I'll have some income as I work from home here in the UK via the net although it can be eratic.

Good point on Spanish lessons.
Our kids take Spanish at school and we're thinking of asking about extra lessons for them an we're looking at taking them.

Luckily I'm not half bad a cook and I do pride myself on a half decent paella.
For years we were full veggies but now eat fish so we're good at making use of fresh veg and relish using local markets.

I do need th get genned up on tax over there so for that and all the other points I'm extremely grateful.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

If it i what everyone wants then go for it but come here with your eyes open, jojojo made a good point about it being an adventure and treating it as such as permanent can seem a long time if it is not what you expected.

Money wise you need to think long and hard, how secure is YOUR income via the net as I would hazard a guess your looking at needing a minimum of 1000e a month to live and that is not excessively, that is not including anything you would have to pay as being self employed.

Costings: rent but do check around as you may find cheaper in your location it is not always better to rent from family or friends as it can strain some relationships or be taken advantage of so check what they are asking for with the open market first, electric at least 50e a month depending on what is electric in the house, gas bottles run at between 11 and 15e depending on location, water 15e a month at least but again depends on usage ie a pool, you would need to clarify who is paying the council tax, the owner is liable but some tend to pass this cost onto the tenant so make sure you know this before you go.

Now to location, the house maybe ideal and a perfect price but unless it is within a bus route or walking distance you may have to consider a car, if you bring yours from the UK it should be taxed and tested and technically you can only use it for 2 months before you have to change it to Spanish plates that can cost, we have just been quoted about 1500e on a 98 vectra. Spanish cars tend to hold their price better than the UK so they will seem a lot more money here, then you have all associated costs that you would have in the UK. As councils and police are short on money they are really clamping down on foreign cars in some areas and tend to fine on the spot for what seems a minor infraction.

Putting your children into school will be one of the biggest upheavals they will ever experience, you know your children, will they cope with it? some children make friends quicker than others and integrate better while some are a little more reserved and may not settle. Choose your school, not all schools are equal some are better equipped to deal with non Spanish children and have a larger non native population, try getting a weeks holiday and do your recon, visit the schools and ask the questions and see just what you would have to provide as this has to come out of your budget.

If your bringing animals with you they need rabbies, micro chipping and all the shots they would have in the UK, if you leave it till you move out here then the chances are your tied for a minimum of 12 months till they are able to travel back or you leave them here in which case get them rehomed before you leave as their are far to many animals dumped here already. You would not leave your children so make plans for any pets.

The real thing is planning and more planning research and visiting, you will get lots of different views off the sites but nothing beats good old fashioned leg work. If you do choose to come good luck and have a adventure if you choose to stay in the UK for now then you at least know that now is not the right time but maybe in the future, life is all about finding new experiences but sometimes now is not the time.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:25 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment has risen again in August

http://www.diariosur.es/rc/20100902/...009020906.html
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:33 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Unemployment has risen again in August

http://www.diariosur.es/rc/20100902/...009020906.html
Not good news, although even a quick look at the headline shows it said "Unemployment rises after 3 months of falls"
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Jay

That is all sound advice indeed and thanks so much for taking the time to share your wisdom.

I've been checking around long term lets prior to the rental offer in the area so I've kind of an idea of what the market is like. So good point there.

Those cost of living examples are also very helpful.

We're thinking of the best option for a car as the villa is close to all amenities but I think we'd need one realistically.
At the moment we run a 1968 VW Beetle which might not sound practical for a trans-European run but I can fix them and we drove a '73 VW camper all over Australia which was part of the adventure.
I've started looking at the practicalities of registering a "classic" car over there so we'll

Funnily enough we've been thinking of getting a dog as a family but have held off due to having itchy feet so that info was a help. Maybe worth considering adopting one of the unfortunate fellas over there.

A recon' trip would also be a great excuse for a holiday. In fact we've just been discussing that one.
I think we'd need to base it around when the schools are open as that is one of our main considerations.
The villa is on and "Urb" so I'd imagine the local school would have a broad cross section of nationalities and there are lots of Brits around there too.

I really think we're ready for an adventure as we've been looking at moving from the UK for years now.
Originally we were looking at Australia and NZ which in comparison is a nightmare of visas and costs a fortune before you even step foot on a plane.

My OH just got the phone to the person who owns the house who confirmed the offer of the rental.
I guess you may be seeing me around the forum from now on.

So much to find out so your thoughts and experiences are VERY welcome.
Knowledge is power and all that.

Thanks again

S

Last edited by scottyboy; Sep 2nd 2010 at 12:25 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

For those who think they can work and travel at the same time, this link may be useful.

http://www.workingnomad.com/
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's another:

Location Independent Professionals
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:52 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by scottyboy
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

I am glad that the info I provided may be of some benefit to you. There are lots of dog charities with all sorts of dogs just longing for a loving home and many of those dogs will come with the micro chip, vaccinated and nurtured as the first 2 are now legally required to own a dog, but the not everyone does it, so it may just be worth holding on till you get here.

As long as you go into it with your eyes open, your wallet relatively full and everyone including the little ones looking forward to the adventure then why not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.