Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Considering a move to lovely Lanzarote next year

Considering a move to lovely Lanzarote next year

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

LanzaroteKev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a move to lovely Lanzarote next year

Hi there, myself and my partner have just returned from another great week away in lanzarote and that being our third time on the island and we get a greater feeling everytime we visit, had long and lengthy discussions about relocating and moving out there to live. We currently live in Kent, UK and in the south east of England. I am in my mid 30s and my partner early 40s so we will still have to find and locate work which I have read isn't all that easy at present, my partner works in education so looking into the possibility of staying in that field teaching English language out there.

I work in the animal care industry/dog kennels/pet care services and have done for many years (approx 12). My question is, if we were to move out to lanzarote do people out there require dog walking whilst they are at work? We saw lots of dogs out there on our recent holiday, back here in the UK I had a good strong dog walking business for a few years and am experienced in this field. Does anybody know if there are already dog walking companies on the island? How many euros are charged for a walk? I am also qualified in dog grooming so another option could be to combine my experiences in pet care and offer a pet care services structure out there ( dog walking, cat feeding whilst away, dog bathing and grooming, doggy day care ect). I realise there is a dog boarding kennels in lanzarote but as that being the only one on the island I feel my chances of gaining employment there are not existent to be honest. Is there a strong need for pet care services on the islands? Or should I look into other lines of work? I know generally wherever you are in the world our pets are part of the family and it's a big growing industry with people working longer hours and need help with their pets, maybe in lanzarote due to heat/humidity there isn't such a demand for dog walkers as there are in cooler areas of europe. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, literally just signed up as need some advice, any information relating to pet care services in Lanzarote would be greatly appreciated. Also we are going to take up Spanish lessons as we feel it would be beneficial and helping us relocate to Spain and gain employment. Many thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a move to lovely Lanzarote next year

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LanzaroteKev
Hi there, myself and my partner have just returned from another great week away in lanzarote and that being our third time on the island and we get a greater feeling everytime we visit, had long and lengthy discussions about relocating and moving out there to live. We currently live in Kent, UK and in the south east of England. I am in my mid 30s and my partner early 40s so we will still have to find and locate work which I have read is very difficult, my partner works in education so looking into the possibility of staying in that field teaching English language out there.

I work in the animal care industry/dog kennels/pet care services and have done for many years (approx 12). My question is, if we were to move out to lanzarote do people out there require dog walking whilst they are at work? We saw lots of dogs out there on our recent holiday, back here in the UK I had a good strong dog walking business for a few years and am experienced in this field. Does anybody know if there are already dog walking companies on the island? How many euros are charged for a walk? I am also qualified in dog grooming so another option could be to combine my experiences in pet care and offer a pet care services structure out there ( dog walking, cat feeding whilst away, dog bathing and grooming, doggy day care ect). I realise there is a dog boarding kennels in lanzarote but as that being the only one on the island I feel my chances of gaining employment there are not existent to be honest. Is there a strong need for pet care services on the islands? Or should I look into other lines of work? I know generally wherever you are in the world our pets are part of the family and it's a big growing industry with people working longer hours and need help with their pets, maybe in lanzarote due to heat/humidity there isn't such a demand for dog walkers as there are in cooler areas of europe. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, literally just signed up as need some advice, any information relating to pet care services in Lanzarote would be greatly appreciated. Also we are going to take up Spanish lessons as we feel it would be beneficial and helping us relocate to Spain and gain employment. Many thanks
Most Spanish people just leave their dogs either in the house or in the garden when they go to work, dog walking cetainly isn't something they would be looking for, English people just might, although those there with pets are more likely to be retired, so not need a dog walker.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

LanzaroteKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mikelincs, yes that's what I thought may be the case. I think perhaps dog grooming may be the way to go as with that qualification everyone anywhere in the world requires their dogs clipped, stripped or groomed so maybe I'll look into that as a business or back to the drawing board lol