Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Confusion on Tax declaration limits

Confusion on Tax declaration limits

Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confusion on Tax declaration limits

It concerns me that ex pats may get the wrong idea about how much income they can have before paying tax on it. I frequently see statements such as "you have to file a return if your income is more than 22,000 euros"
They do not add the important facts that:
This does not apply if the 22,000 is taxed at source, comes from more than one source, and is eligible for the double taxation treaty to be applied;in other worse, it does not apply to all ex pats and early retirees!
If anyone is going around thinking they can have an income of under 22,000 and not pay tax, they are in for a rude awakening.If you have been here for years and not declared on the basis of misinformation on this, you had better see an accountant!
When I first came here I was given the wrong advice about this, and I am sure many others were too;It would be lovely if it were the case1
Incidentally, the advice on this given in the Tax section of FREE BEER also makes this statement and doesn't explain the conditions; this will mislead people.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:26 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion on Tax declaration limits

Originally Posted by Neptuno
It concerns me that ex pats may get the wrong idea about how much income they can have before paying tax on it. I frequently see statements such as "you have to file a return if your income is more than 22,000 euros"
They do not add the important facts that:
This does not apply if the 22,000 is taxed at source, comes from more than one source, and is eligible for the double taxation treaty to be applied;in other worse, it does not apply to all ex pats and early retirees!
If anyone is going around thinking they can have an income of under 22,000 and not pay tax, they are in for a rude awakening.If you have been here for years and not declared on the basis of misinformation on this, you had better see an accountant!
When I first came here I was given the wrong advice about this, and I am sure many others were too;It would be lovely if it were the case1
Incidentally, the advice on this given in the Tax section of FREE BEER also makes this statement and doesn't explain the conditions; this will mislead people.

The truth of the matter is that you MUST complete a tax return each year - FACT!

It doesn't matter what you earn or not.

In the past, individuals have been wrongly advised that they didn't need to. With the various changes to health rules etc. this is now coming back to bite them.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The truth of the matter is that you MUST complete a tax return each year - FACT!

It doesn't matter what you earn or not.
Not necessarily but your income would be so low it is doubtful that you could survive!

A lot of stuff in the "Free Beer" thread is now out of date and misleading. The person who put it all together no longer contributes to the forum.

There is some more up to date info in the Wiki section but it only covers a few subjects. The advantage of the WiKi is that any member can contribute to it but unfortunately few do.

As far as tax declarations are concerned this site has the best information that I know of.

http://www.advoco.es/home/22-latest/...ax-return.html
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes good post - this 22,000 nonsense is one of those huge urban myths. Please take note everyone who has not made a tax declaracion but is resident here. (and don't forget you non resident property owners you also need to take action)
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-euro...08#TWEET786956

One well known character in big trouble for allegedly completing fraudulent tax returns.

Looks like it could get a bit messy.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
(and don't forget you non resident property owners you also need to take action)
For what other than non residents tax unless you rent?