Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Concern as too many bars open in Malaga

Concern as too many bars open in Malaga

Old May 12th 2014, 12:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Concern as too many bars open in Malaga

Residents unhappy at rise in bar numbers - bar-owners threaten to go "on strike" to highlight how they help the local economy..

Residents called for a ban on new bars after a report by the Observatory of Urban Environment (OMAU) concluded that extra bars and tourism are causing noise, increasing city centre cleaning bills and lowering residents’ quality of life.
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...sm-complaints/
Old May 13th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Concern as too many bars open in Malaga

Residents have complained about pubs and bars since time immemorial.

I have faced this problem so many times.

I have a neighbour 3 doors away from that phones the council every Monday morning with tales of noise, from people talking too loudly, diesel engine taxis purring away, juke box too loud or whatever takes her fancy.

The reason why her bungalow is 30K cheaper than a similar property 5 mins away in a cul-de-sac is because it's next to a pub with a South facing beer garden that sits 80 people and she doesn't expect to hear any noise.
Old May 13th 2014, 9:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

this was also in the Daily Telegraph.

as we have discussed elsewhere Southern Spain is creaking under a massive unemployment problem. Like everywhere else Malaga city centre etc has many empty and derelict shops making the place look untidy.
Surely it would be more acceptable to even have short term i.e. Spring/Summer/Autumn useage of these properties with the added advantage of getting even a few people off the dole queue.

Many will give up after a year or so, especially if it is a hard winter so they will get their town back again with the graffiti on the roller shutters once again.

No one likes to live next to a bar, except for the for the drunkards.
But quite honestly if you don't like it move out - the next occupant could well be a kebab or curry house.
Old May 13th 2014, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
. Like everywhere else Malaga city centre etc has many empty and derelict shops making the place look untidy.
I was in Malaga city centre about a year ago and previous to that I have been going regularly since 1999.

It looks better than it ever has done! Absolutely stunning. The rennovation and development works they have done are tremendous. It isnt full of derelict shops at all

Saying that, Spain has way too many shops, bars and restaurants. A few years ago, there was a study saying that Spain had 200,000 bars/cafes/restaurants too many. An estimated 100,000 of these have closed during the crisis
Old May 13th 2014, 1:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I was in Malaga city centre about a year ago and previous to that I have been going regularly since 1999.

It looks better than it ever has done! Absolutely stunning. The rennovation and development works they have done are tremendous. It isnt full of derelict shops at all

Saying that, Spain has way too many shops, bars and restaurants. A few years ago, there was a study saying that Spain had 200,000 bars/cafes/restaurants too many. An estimated 100,000 of these have closed during the crisis
The only parts I see are the bus route in to the bus/railway station and back out to the airport - although I use the railway now. Shop units shuttered up, and some graffitti. So perhaps this is the two of us seeing with different glasses in the same way as a couple here see Madrid.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

The only parts I see are the bus route in to the bus/railway station and back out to the airport - although I use the railway now. Shop units shuttered up, and some graffitti. So perhaps this is the two of us seeing with different glasses in the same way as a couple here see Madrid.
That route doesnt go into the centre of Malaga
Old May 13th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Cricketman is right, you're not seeing the centre. (You can recognise the centre by the millions of frozen yoghurt shops)

That there are shops empty and shuttered in the barrios is a problem, but it's nothing to do with the bars in the centre.

Last edited by rachelk; May 13th 2014 at 4:19 pm.