Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Computer problem!!!!!!!

Computer problem!!!!!!!

Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:17 am
  #1  
MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,808
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer problem!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!

I am having problems with Word. Everytime I try to type a document the computer crashes. Usually it allows about one line before it happens. Have uninstalled and re-installed Microsoft Office but it still continues. It is obviously nothing to do with the keyboard or anything else on the computer because it is only occurring in Word itself.

Any ideas??????

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:25 am
  #2  
Welsh Ambassador to Spain
 
Fortaleza's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,741
Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Oddities
HELP!!!!!

I am having problems with Word. Everytime I try to type a document the computer crashes. Usually it allows about one line before it happens. Have uninstalled and re-installed Microsoft Office but it still continues. It is obviously nothing to do with the keyboard or anything else on the computer because it is only occurring in Word itself.

Any ideas??????

Rosemary
Nothing to do with your program. There's an eveil virus going around at the moment called Smitfraud. It bypasses antivirus programs and lets a multitude of malware into your sysytem. Sounds like it's been there a while if it's ballsing up Word.

Another poster had a similar problem and I had it last week. The best (and in my opinion the only) place to go is www.safer-networking.org and go to their forum and go to Malware Removal. Here's the link - http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

They offer free, personal solutions. Just follow their instructions. Make sure you click on "Before You Post" before you post
Fortaleza is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:44 am
  #3  
MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,808
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Nothing to do with your program. There's an eveil virus going around at the moment called Smitfraud. It bypasses antivirus programs and lets a multitude of malware into your sysytem. Sounds like it's been there a while if it's ballsing up Word.

Another poster had a similar problem and I had it last week. The best (and in my opinion the only) place to go is www.safer-networking.org and go to their forum and go to Malware Removal. Here's the link - http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

They offer free, personal solutions. Just follow their instructions. Make sure you click on "Before You Post" before you post
Thank you very much I will try it and let you know how I get on.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:56 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
bigfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Thank you very much I will try it and let you know how I get on.

Rosemary
failing that, do you carry out general maintenance on your PC... if not then you might want to consider it, especially if your PC is fairly old (i.e 6 months or so).

personally if its not a virus.. then do a disk clean up and a defrag. both can be found in system tools... just be patient on the defrag as it can take a couple of hours, especially if you have not done one before.

hope that helps.
bigfred is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:31 am
  #5  
MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,808
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Nothing to do with your program. There's an eveil virus going around at the moment called Smitfraud. It bypasses antivirus programs and lets a multitude of malware into your sysytem. Sounds like it's been there a while if it's ballsing up Word.

Another poster had a similar problem and I had it last week. The best (and in my opinion the only) place to go is www.safer-networking.org and go to their forum and go to Malware Removal. Here's the link - http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

They offer free, personal solutions. Just follow their instructions. Make sure you click on "Before You Post" before you post
Thanks for this, we tried it but it did not work, cleared out 31 problems though and it has speeded up our computer.
Rosemary.
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:32 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,808
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bigfred
failing that, do you carry out general maintenance on your PC... if not then you might want to consider it, especially if your PC is fairly old (i.e 6 months or so).

personally if its not a virus.. then do a disk clean up and a defrag. both can be found in system tools... just be patient on the defrag as it can take a couple of hours, especially if you have not done one before.

hope that helps.
Have to be honest we have not run a defrag since we arrived in Spain, will try this and let you know.
Rosemary.
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:44 am
  #7  
Not Junior but not Senior
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,052
poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bigfred
failing that, do you carry out general maintenance on your PC... if not then you might want to consider it, especially if your PC is fairly old (i.e 6 months or so).

personally if its not a virus.. then do a disk clean up and a defrag. both can be found in system tools... just be patient on the defrag as it can take a couple of hours, especially if you have not done one before.

hope that helps.
Hi Fred
I have never done a defrag.. how does one do it and is it safe or does one risk deleting files?? PL
poollounger is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:57 am
  #8  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by poollounger
Hi Fred
I have never done a defrag.. how does one do it and is it safe or does one risk deleting files?? PL
Download Diskeeper lite it is faster than Windows one and free, although it will ask if you want to buy the business version.
Leave a shortcut to it on your desktop and use it every week or so.
All the reds are split up files it doen`t delete anything, just re-arranges them in the right places.
Attached Thumbnails Computer problem!!!!!!!-defrag.jpg  

Last edited by jdr; Jun 12th 2007 at 7:00 am.
jdr is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:19 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
bigfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by poollounger
Hi Fred
I have never done a defrag.. how does one do it and is it safe or does one risk deleting files?? PL
defrag is totally safe... deletes nothing... just puts files back where they belong...i.e. everytime you open a file it creates a type of copy of it and puts it somewhere else... if you are unsure where to do it... goto

Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter.

As said before, it may take a long time. Just set it off before you go to bed.. will be sorted by the morning.. ideally should be done once a month.
bigfred is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:44 am
  #10  
Not Junior but not Senior
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,052
poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bigfred
defrag is totally safe... deletes nothing... just puts files back where they belong...i.e. everytime you open a file it creates a type of copy of it and puts it somewhere else... if you are unsure where to do it... goto

Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter.

As said before, it may take a long time. Just set it off before you go to bed.. will be sorted by the morning.. ideally should be done once a month.
Thanks will do it once I get home.. am on the work pc at the moment. Does it then eliminate unneccessary copies?
poollounger is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:13 am
  #11  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by poollounger
Thanks will do it once I get home.. am on the work pc at the moment. Does it then eliminate unneccessary copies?
You can also clean your disk up in maintenance which will get rid of unecessary temporary internet files, empty your recycle bin etc etc. You be suprised how big the temp files get when you are surfing about
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:30 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
bigfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computer problem!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by poollounger
Thanks will do it once I get home.. am on the work pc at the moment. Does it then eliminate unneccessary copies?
yes it is... ensure that you do a disk clean up first though... only take a minute or 2. can be found in the same place...
bigfred is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.