Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Commuters from Spain/UK?

Commuters from Spain/UK?

Old May 15th 2007, 4:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuters from Spain/UK?

Originally Posted by kevinbeddow
what is ''fiscal nomad''
He is a person with no fixed abode (from a tax residency point of view).
Old May 16th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

kevinbeddow is on a distinguished road

Thanks fred,It looks as though I will have to re do my traveling days?
regards
kevin
Old May 16th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I do know someone who works as ground staff for an airline who has a job sharing arrangement whereby she works 2 weeks in England then has 2 weeks off in Spain, and her husband and 2 children are based permanently in Spain. No doubt the cheap flights she gets as airline staff help!

However, as someone who arrived in Spain on a permanent basis (or so I thought) 5 months ago, but due to my elderly father having fallen ill a month after my arrival I have had to make frequent trips back to the UK totalling almost half my time here altogether, I couldn contemplate wanting to do this all the time. I find it very unsettling and at times almost feel like a visitor in my own house. I did contemplate before I left work in the UK reducing my working hours to 3 or 4 days per week and spending the rest of the week in Spain but now I glad I did not pursue that as I know now it would not have suited me. I did a normal daily commute of at least 3 hours round trip, plus a trip to Leeds once a week and visits to London a couple of times a month so I did not think the travelling time would bother me, but I find I do not like spending a couple of weeks at a time away from my home and partner.
Old May 17th 2007, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Clarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I do know someone who works as ground staff for an airline who has a job sharing arrangement whereby she works 2 weeks in England then has 2 weeks off in Spain, and her husband and 2 children are based permanently in Spain. No doubt the cheap flights she gets as airline staff help!

However, as someone who arrived in Spain on a permanent basis (or so I thought) 5 months ago, but due to my elderly father having fallen ill a month after my arrival I have had to make frequent trips back to the UK totalling almost half my time here altogether, I couldn contemplate wanting to do this all the time. I find it very unsettling and at times almost feel like a visitor in my own house. I did contemplate before I left work in the UK reducing my working hours to 3 or 4 days per week and spending the rest of the week in Spain but now I glad I did not pursue that as I know now it would not have suited me. I did a normal daily commute of at least 3 hours round trip, plus a trip to Leeds once a week and visits to London a couple of times a month so I did not think the travelling time would bother me, but I find I do not like spending a couple of weeks at a time away from my home and partner.
Many thanks for the feedback Lynn (& all the other responses).

It is particularly useful to have an actual "downside" response to provide food for thought.

With regard to your England commute I am currently doing similar so I have a logic that the travel is not an issue so I particularly appreciate an "Oh yes it is!" perspective.

Time away from wife (& pets!) is most certainly a downside.
Old May 17th 2007, 4:15 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Wish my other half thought the same he loves his time away!! (although he pretends its so hard being stuck in 5 star hotels all over the world ahhhh my heart bleeds!:curse:
Old May 17th 2007, 4:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

There was a TV programme a year or so ago about people who lived in France and commuted to work in the UK which I found very interesting. Mind you, as I remember it centered around someone who had their own small aircraft!!!!

As far as the logistics are concerned, when I first moved here I found I was going back and fore every month for one reason or another. Due to the plethera of cheap flights I found it relatively easy and came to view it much like jumping on a bus! However you have to take into consideration that in the high season your flight prices will increase incredibly. You will have, presumably, car parking fees at one end or the other and unless you keep a car in the UK you will presumably have car hire or taxi costs also. It all adds up.