Reload this Page >

Commuters from Spain/UK?

Commuters from Spain/UK?

Old May 14th 2007, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Clarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commuters from Spain/UK?

Afternoon all

Are there any of you who are "commuters"? I am considering the move to Spain whilst continuing with my current employment.

Three years ago we made the move to Lincolnshire whilst I continue to visit clients South of London 2 - 3 times a week & am homebased the remaining time.

In that regard I feel a further more complicated move is "doable" but I would be interested to know if any of you are undertaking the same already or have any ideas/thoughts on the subject.

Many thanks in advance
Old May 14th 2007, 3:58 pm
aspeangel

Default Re: Commuters from Spain/UK?

I know a few people that do this and in hindsight i wish we would have thought about the idea when we came over 3 years ago, my husband was a police officer and with his shift patterns we could have worked something out, hindsight is a wonderful thing! If you can book your flights in advance and get decent prices and you can afford somewhere to stay whilst living here as well then go for it! I know someone that is a long-haul flight attendant (trolley dolly in other words) that has a great life, travels the world, gets hotels paid for and cheap flights to get out here on his days off whilst getting paid a small fortune - unfortunately his family suffer a bit from his absence but they survive and its for the greater good which they will appreciate in the future!
Anyway, I vote you should go for it - if you didn't manage to work that out already!!!

Old May 14th 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aspeangel
I know a few people that do this and in hindsight i wish we would have thought about the idea when we came over 3 years ago, my husband was a police officer and with his shift patterns we could have worked something out, hindsight is a wonderful thing! If you can book your flights in advance and get decent prices and you can afford somewhere to stay whilst living here as well then go for it! I know someone that is a long-haul flight attendant (trolley dolly in other words) that has a great life, travels the world, gets hotels paid for and cheap flights to get out here on his days off whilst getting paid a small fortune - unfortunately his family suffer a bit from his absence but they survive and its for the greater good which they will appreciate in the future!
Anyway, I vote you should go for it - if you didn't manage to work that out already!!!
Thanks for the response.

At first thought the idea seems somewhat implausible but to a much smaller degree I am already dealing with my work "remotely" & have done so for the last 3 years with no ill effects.

My boss takes the view that so long as I look after my clients OK & there is no comeback he is quite happy.

The Lincs - M25 commute on a Tuesday is no joy & I have coped with those 2 /3 days a week of 16 hour days pretty well so other than dealing with more complicated logistics I am sure it is a manageable proposition!

The flights are actually easily sorted but I am pondering the car hire/ 1 car in 2 different countries conundrum along with the accomodation aspect & they will require more thought.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

kevinbeddow is on a distinguished road

I am also thinking of doing the same thing,My plan is to go to work for 3 days in the uk and 4 days in mallorca.
buy an apartment in newcastle close to airport,(10 min taxi ride)this I can cope with very well thank you.
3 days in uk discount arrival and departure days this will be well inside the 91 days allowed?
will just have to be aware of the flights well in advanced?
Regards
kevin
Old May 14th 2007, 4:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbeddow
I am also thinking of doing the same thing,My plan is to go to work for 3 days in the uk and 4 days in mallorca.
buy an apartment in newcastle close to airport,(10 min taxi ride)this I can cope with very well thank you.
3 days in uk discount arrival and departure days this will be well inside the 91 days allowed?
Regards
kevin
You will have to be careful taxwise as if you are in Spain that long you will be deemed resident in Spain.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
You will have to be careful taxwise as if you are in Spain that long you will be deemed resident in Spain.
That is another good point & being an accountant I am conscious of the fact that this is something I will also need to have researched before I can consider then presenting my boss with a fully worked out proposal he will have confidence with.

I am at baby steps stage at the moment & quietly trying to work my way over the various obstacles one at a time.

For now I am concentrating on the travel logistics element which is engaging me sufficiently at the moment

Any relevant comments at all associated with my thread gratefully received

Thanks for all the responses to date
Old May 14th 2007, 7:58 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I knew someone who travelled from Doncaster to London on the train every day, and that was through the rail chaos in Year 2000 when all the trains were stuck at 60mph after hatfield. Used to be 6 hours there and 6 back door to door for him. Nuts completely nuts.

Just be aware that the flight may only be 2 - 3 hours each way but you have check in time, then theres bound to be delays sometimes, journeys to and from the airport. Its all OK flying into heathrow but you could be another hour into the area of london you need after that. So suddenly this 2 - 3 hour flight could very easilly be 6 hours with check in and transfers.

Plus of course theres the cost, theres the cheapy prices off season but once summer starts flights start booking up quick and those cheap seats are always found by other people. So soon u'll be looking at £200 per trip.

Anyway thats just my opinion, personally i couldnt be bothered with it. I know its not like youll be going every day but even once every week or once every two weeks will start adding up the costs and it will become very labourious.

But best of luck if you do
Old May 14th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We're in a similar position - we moved up to Cheshire a few years back, but I still continue to commute to London for 3-4 times per month, taking anything from 3.5 to 5.5 hours each way. Our plan is to move out in September and I will be commuting from Alicante / Murcia.

I myself am in IT, so working remotely should be easy. Several people have suggested getting local work as well, but I can't see there being any IT work locally.
Old May 15th 2007, 11:16 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
kevin
Sorry you can't do that any more.

The UK law has changed and you have to count the days of arrival and departure. Nice one Gordon!

You would be deemed tax resident in both countries. You would have to pay tax in Spain and deduct any tax paid in the UK.
Old May 15th 2007, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for that,did not know it had changed,will have to think of some other way?......Any Ideas would be welcome?
would being registered in the camen Islands ease the problem?
regards
kevin
Old May 15th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing it for a couple of years now.

Started off having to fly back to UK for a couple of days every fortnight, but with a travelling day each way it was always four days in total.

As time passed my boss realised that the travelling days were simply wasted time. I wasn't prepared to travel at weekends in my time - flights were cheaper during the week anyway. So we reduced my trips back to once a month, then once every three months. It's so much better this way. Like someone else pointed out, it's only a 2-3 hour flight, but getting to the airport an hour and a half before check-in, then possible flight delays, then luggage collection, then passport control at the other end, then the car hire desk, then getting to your hotel/office. It takes all day. It's stressful. It's a waste of time. The flight times are never convenient to attend the office on the day of travel and the cheapest flights are always the late flights that dump you at an airport when all the carhire desks are closed.

It's a real pain in the bum having to travel back to the UK even once every three months. But then I have a young family here in Spain.

I'm in IT and I agree, there isn't much IT work outside the bigger cities unless you speak fluent Spanish. And the wages are low compared to UK. It has suited us for the last couple of years, but it's time we moved on.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for that,did not know it had changed,will have to think of some other way?......Any Ideas would be welcome?
would being registered in the camen Islands ease the problem?
regards
kevin

It depends what you are trying to achieve.

Registering a company or a boat/plane etc in a tax haven has some advantages but when it gets down to individual taxation then, unless you manage to become a "fiscal nomad" it's pretty difficult to avoid paying tax somewhere or other.

Where you pay tax depends purely on where you are prodominately resident - the 183 day rule - and it means paying tax on your world wide income. Certainly, if you go and live in a tax haven, then you will pay less or no tax.

Another problem is that if your income comes from the UK and you are currently paying UK tax then you will find it almost impossible to get it paid tax free even if you become non resident in the UK as the UK taxman will normally want proof that you are paying it somewhere else. There are exceptions to some pensions and some rental income.

Once you are the hook, it's pretty difficult to get off it - Gordon has seen to that! I was a "fiscal nomad" for 6 years - never resident for long enough to become resident anywhere, but I failed to get off the hook until I came to live in Spain and paid Spanish tax.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Fred
Perhaps if I where to tell you my Intentions then you would give me some advice as to the best way around these things?
Sorry clarky if I have overtaken your thread?
Regards
kevin
Old May 15th 2007, 3:10 pm

Thanks Fred
Perhaps if I where to tell you my Intentions then you would give me some advice as to the best way around these things?
Sorry clarky if I have overtaken your thread?
Regards
kevin
I dont know any (legal) way round it. If I did I would have done it!
Old May 15th 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

one never knows the route some people have to take?
what is ''fiscal nomad''
regards
kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.