Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

COMMUNITY RULES

COMMUNITY RULES

Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile COMMUNITY RULES

Hello

I hope someone can help me here.

We live on a community of 29 villas, the community being responsible for the private road.

My question is can a villa owner park on the road outside his own villa? The road in question is wide enough to allow emergency vehicles to pass.

I need to know, as we have a new President who has just sent a rather scathing email to one owner who did park outside his villa for one week.

At the AGM a few years ago, a rule was made to ban parking on the road. Someone told me that Spanish Law allows parking, which makes the community rule invalid. Its all very confusing ...

No doubt some of you more experienced members can give me advice, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation!

Spanishgirl
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:38 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COMMUNITY RULES

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hello

We live on a community of 29 villas, the community being responsible for the private road.

My question is can a villa owner park on the road outside his own villa? The road in question is wide enough to allow emergency vehicles to pass.

I need to know, as we have a new President who has just sent a rather scathing email to one owner who did park outside his villa for one week.

At the AGM a few years ago, a rule was made to ban parking on the road. Someone told me that Spanish Law allows parking, which makes the community rule invalid. Its all very confusing ...

No doubt some of you more experienced members can give me advice, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation!

Spanishgirl
I've had thought from what you've said that you cant park on the road. Its a private road and the residents have declared that they dont want people parking on it and if one does then it could "open the way" for everyone to and that may be seen as unattractive??! Whether its legal or not in the eyes of the spanish law is not really the issue, I suspect if you were to challenge it you'd probably make some enemies, which wouldnt make living there pleasant??

Jo xxx
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:58 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I've had thought from what you've said that you cant park on the road. Its a private road and the residents have declared that they dont want people parking on it and if one does then it could "open the way" for everyone to and that may be seen as unattractive??! Whether its legal or not in the eyes of the spanish law is not really the issue, I suspect if you were to challenge it you'd probably make some enemies, which wouldnt make living there pleasant??

Jo xxx
if it's a private road & the community has voted against parking on the street, then you simply can't park on the street

Spanish law might well allow parking - but it's a private road & from what I understand having lived in 'communities' for some years, the community rules 'rule', as it were
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As the above post says.
If it is owned by the community and the law was put forward and passed at the AGM then it is law until it is changed at another meeting with a majority vote.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:48 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest no parking on the road is quite a sensible rule.

I have one inconsiderate neighbour who regularly parks opposite the entrace to my property. This makes it difficult for me to get in and out of my driveway.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

legal_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks in anticipation!

Spanishgirl
Hiya,

The town hall are in charge of parking in any jurisdiction of spain, not the community. A blue line indicates paid parking, yellow is unloading and loading and no parking and white line indicates parking. The best thing to do is call the local town hall to see what the rule is. If there is no line, the town hall will govern this.

Hope this helps,
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

legal_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by legal_eagle
Hiya,

The town hall are in charge of parking in any jurisdiction of spain, not the community. A blue line indicates paid parking, yellow is unloading and loading and no parking and white line indicates parking. The best thing to do is call the local town hall to see what the rule is. If there is no line, the town hall will govern this.

Hope this helps,
P.S this all applies if it is a public road, and town hall rules can influence community decisions on private roads but need community agreement. I misunderstood.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Well a few folks in our complex wanted the community to ban owners renting their apartments.

A lawyer quickly advised us that Spanish law takes precedence, and any owner is allowed to rent their apartment.

He told us that the community could, of course, adopt the rule. But it would not be enforceable.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Well a few folks in our complex wanted the community to ban owners renting their apartments.

A lawyer quickly advised us that Spanish law takes precedence, and any owner is allowed to rent their apartment.

He told us that the community could, of course, adopt the rule. But it would not be enforceable.
Hi

Thats the type of thing I meant. Spanish law does take precedence over Community Law.

However, saying that, it is better not to alienate people, and the couple concerned will now park on the public road at the end of our road in future. (They are owners who only come out about 6 weeks each year).

They don't block anyone's drive, there are no houses across from them. Emergency vehicles can pass easily. No-one else either needs or wants to park on the road, apart from when unloading and then going back out.

It just maddens me that people can be so 'jobsworth'!. To me, its just people trying to control other people's lives. I don't know what happens to some people when they come over here!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.

Spanishgirl.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:31 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I think Spanish Law only takes presidence when something has only own registered owner, such as property. A road, community pool, gardens or area which has been officially "given" to a community, who have elected a commity to run and take care of "whatever" gives them the authority to make rules and to insist that they're adhered to

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Jan 21st 2011 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The strenght of the comminity cannot be underestimated, and the majority rules.

I have know of cases of flats with no lifts being updated and lifts put in. The people on the lower floors have often voted against the lifts, as they will have to pay the same as the upper floors, but they have been outnumbered by the upper floors.

All owners have had to pay for the installation and the rise in community fees.

This is all part and parcel of living in a " community run" estate or block, and most know what could happen, ie that they are expected to pay for improvements or a service that they dont want, but rules is rules, and the rules are for all the residents.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

It just maddens me that people can be so 'jobsworth'!. To me, its just people trying to control other people's lives. I don't know what happens to some people when they come over here.

Spanishgirl.
The New President is following the rules implemented by the community before he came and you'd rather he let everyone do what they want and do nothing about it and this makes him a power mad dictator
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The "community" and its rules is an alein concept to most Britsh, because it the UK it only really applies in flats.

The community can apply for all sorts of housing in Spain, even detatched villas with private pool can still be under the umbrella of a community.

It can cause quite a few problems for folks who are not used to this sort of living, but most disputes are dealt with fairly, but with the main consideration being for the good of the community and not the individual.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Free beer Community rules.