Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Community Matters

Community Matters

Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Community Matters

I've had an on going dispute with the Community in my apartment block for the last couple of years.They had failed to maintain the terrace above my apartment
and it leaked into four of my rooms.They finally had the terrace resealed and painted but after countless visits and phone calls the ceilings have still not been repaired.For the last two quarters I have refused to pay my gastos and have told them I will keep back enough money to have the repairs done myself.To add insult to injury another pipe has leaked into the hairdressers next door and because the community neglected to renew the insurance they are pressing me to pay towards covering their mistake.Don't know if other members have come across this type of problem.I know in the UK if a landlord neglects repairs after a certain time you can get it done yourself and bill him Don't know if there is a similar thing here which covers communities.I know seeing an abogado might/will be suggested but then nobody wins except the abogado
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:21 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community Matters

I assume you own the property?

It is ...... unfortunate that the community failed to insure the property. Nevertheless owners are jointly responsible for repairs to communal property and owners are liable for costs to their own property. Be careful, if you refuse to pay they can take action to recover the costs.

I don't see why you wish to compare to the UK? but;
If you owned a flat, there would normally be a Factor / Property Management Company. The owners are liable for repairs to their property and jointly liable for communal areas.
If you were a tenant the LL would be responsible.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't trying to compare this case to the UK of course I understand Spain is very different Just the case that there may be something in Spanish law that is similar in nature.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

The laws applicable to residents of a community are more onerous than those applicable in the UK. You may like to read this > http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-maga...community.aspx

It seems that the President of your community may have screwed up? I have no idea whether he can be held responsible for consequences but I would doubt it. If I were you I would pay up for repairs to my property. You may wish to call a meeting of the owners with view to appointment of a new president? However, it is a rather thankless task and you may find few are willing to take over.

Last edited by missile; Jun 27th 2012 at 1:34 pm.