Cocido

Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cocido

I am going to attempt my very first cocido.I have bought the meat bits in a preparado and I guess I put in chickpeas and veg like carrots,cabbage and potatoes etc.Not sure I want to put pasta in it.

I do have a recipe to follow but wondered if anyone has any secrets to make it even better especially the soup bit.I love soup and the cocido soups I have tasted have been so tasty.

A cocido would keep us going for ages so a cheap meal too.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cocido

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I am going to attempt my very first cocido.I have bought the meat bits in a preparado and I guess I put in chickpeas and veg like carrots,cabbage and potatoes etc.Not sure I want to put pasta in it.

I do have a recipe to follow but wondered if anyone has any secrets to make it even better especially the soup bit.I love soup and the cocido soups I have tasted have been so tasty.

A cocido would keep us going for ages so a cheap meal too.
There are many types of cocido. It is not an Asturian thing so we dont cook it, however I hear its made pretty much the same way as fabada

Definitely dont put pasta in

Think you basically just boil everything, though the order is important. The meat is used to give the garbanzos and caldo flavour. It is actually taken out before the end. The meat at the end is called pringá, and you can spread it on toast or chop it up a bit and add it to the cocido once you've dished up. The meat actually wont taste of much because the point is that you've over-boiled it so the flavour has left the meat and entered the garbanzos/caldo
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are many types of cocido. It is not an Asturian thing so we dont cook it, however I hear its made pretty much the same way as fabada

I think the classic one is the Cocido Madrileño. Some people reckon it is Spain's national dish - personally I prefer Fabada.

The pasta only appears as an option to add it to the soup stage of the meal - it certainly isn't cooked in with everything else. Rice is another option.

With a Cocido it all comes down to how you serve it - it can be presented as a multi course dish or the various elements served at the same time on different dishes.

Let us know how it goes.

ps. How about posting your recipe for Fabada.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

ps. How about posting your recipe for Fabada.
Its the OH's. I'll see if I can pester her over the weekend Still too warm to be thinking of fabada down here
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Think you basically just boil everything, though the order is important. The meat is used to give the garbanzos and caldo flavour. It is actually taken out before the end. The meat at the end is called pringá, and you can spread it on toast or chop it up a bit and add it to the cocido once you've dished up. The meat actually wont taste of much because the point is that you've over-boiled it so the flavour has left the meat and entered the garbanzos/caldo
Been doing some research and yes there are different variations but they all seem to have some pasta in them.Or other than that rice or dry bread which the soup is poured onto in the bowl.

Ive got a nice big pot with lid.Really looking forward to cooking it.

In the Uk I was a convenience food shopper a lot of the time so didnt really know how to cook at all.But there isnt any convenience food here and what is here is usually quite vile.
So over our 2+ years here Ive taught myself to cook a bit and I think Im getting quite good though I still make mistakes,usually purchasing the wrong thing, like salty fish when I thought it was just in its crude form.