Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I do this career in Spain?

Can I do this career in Spain?

Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:27 am
Banned

aleco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I do this career in Spain?

I'm a qualified beach lifeguard and I know with all the beaches, great weather and people flocking to them every year for months on end I know I can do this job in Spain.

Except I can't find any info at all on the internet or vacancies, I speak espanol, I'm qualified, have no responsibilities, just me, myself and I and a bank full of cash.

Why can't I find much info? Looking to move to Malaga area.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can I do this career in Spain?

Its the end of the season pretty much plus massive unemployment in Spain (20% across the board up to 40% for younger folk) so really there is little or no chance of you finding work.

Sorry, but thats the reality of the situation.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
Its the end of the season pretty much plus massive unemployment in Spain (20% across the board up to 40% for younger folk) so really there is little or no chance of you finding work.

Sorry, but thats the reality of the situation.
added to that..........the life guards I see on our local beaches are cruz roja - I have no idea if they actually get paid, or if they are volunteers
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aleco
I'm a qualified beach lifeguard and I know with all the beaches, great weather and people flocking to them every year for months on end I know I can do this job in Spain.

Except I can't find any info at all on the internet or vacancies, I speak espanol, I'm qualified, have no responsibilities, just me, myself and I and a bank full of cash.

Why can't I find much info? Looking to move to Malaga area.
I'd be more concerned about losing the "bank full of cash", what with the state of the EU.

"Deposit Guarantee Fund Will Be Used To Bail Out Failed Banks"
http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.co...-failed-banks/

Last edited by billgates; Oct 14th 2011 at 7:44 am. Reason: web link
Old Oct 14th 2011, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am pretty sure you can do this work in Spain as I've seen loads of lifeguards on the beaches. More so on the Atlantic Coast than near Malaga.

I'm pretty sure they get paid and are not volunteers

However, the lifeguard season is short, I think from June to August. And the lifeguards I've seen look like students. I would think the ayuntamentos close to the beaches with lifeguards would be responsible for employing them, but cant be sure
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Good Career move if you speak español then you know the accent should be over the ñ not n hmmm
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Good Career move if you speak español then you know the accent should be over the ñ not n hmmm
Maybe like me he/she has no accents on their keyboard. I have them on a note pad on my side bar and can cut and paste them when I want/need to.

Sorry OP I have no idea about life guard employment not a beach goer unless it is near empty and only paddle and walk.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Except I can't find any info at all on the internet or vacancies, I speak espanol, I'm qualified,
Do you hold Spanish qualifications?

If not I cannot see how you will get employment as a lifeguard here.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I know the lifeguards at my local pool & they earn 700e pcm net but have an all year job, fixed contract etc.

It really must be v dull job as I've never seen them needed & they have to alert all day. I think they get done for manslaughter if there's an incident on their watch & they missed it.

Good luck though. Why not go for prvate swimming lessons?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Maybe like me he/she has no accents on their keyboard. I have them on a note pad on my side bar and can cut and paste them when I want/need to.

Sorry OP I have no idea about life guard employment not a beach goer unless it is near empty and only paddle and walk.
What she said.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Do you hold Spanish qualifications?

If not I cannot see how you will get employment as a lifeguard here.
Ignorance is bliss. My qualification is internationally recognized.

Originally Posted by lynnxa
added to that..........the life guards I see on our local beaches are cruz roja - I have no idea if they actually get paid, or if they are volunteers
Hmm, I'll check that out.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You have obviously never down any paperwork in Spain then.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
You have obviously never down any paperwork in Spain then.
Down? Aren't you a little genius?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Down? Aren't you a little genius?
Didn't you just join? Looking for help? OK Mitz did a typo. He also made a valid point about bureaucracy in Spain.
I'm sure you believe you're right. Let's hope you are. And I do hope you find the work you're looking for, though it might be harder than you anticipate.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

what qualification is that then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.