Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clear bags for flight security.

Clear bags for flight security.

Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clear bags for flight security.

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
We especially bought bags under the permitted size and they were far from full, yet in the measuring frame they were to big, whilst argueing with them and showing them the bag was not even full we found the original label still attached which clearly stated the dimensions. They then had no choice but to let it through but I was very aware of all the people behind us tutting and wanting to kill US. This beggers the question how accurate are these frames, has anyone measured them, especially Ryanair ones, you wouldn't put it past them to try and pull a fast one like that.
I think Ryanairs hold baggage case size is smaller than some other airlines and also smaller than some cases sold as cabin baggage.
On our last trip they went down the queue with a cardboard box that slid over the cases. I hadn't seen that before.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Why not just play by the rules?
Airports and flying are two of the worst experiences some of us have to suffer, many times throughout the year.
I'm with you on this.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Coming back over here through Birmingham a few months ago and security were checking every bag of toiletries and confiscating anything over 100ml. Fair enough, the rules are clear.
We were behind a woman who didn't have a clear plastic bag on display and her big holdall type bag was pulled to one side after going through the scanners.
I kid you not, the security person was pulling out bags full of toiletries from everywhere. The side pockets were bulging with more toiletries. She must have been selling the stuff because she couldn't possibly want that much for a weeks holiday. There were litterally dozens of plastic bags full of different toiletries and the security person had to open every bag and check every bottle. I would say that at least 75% of her toiletries were confiscated for being over 100ml in size.
This woman just shrugged and laughed it all off. Meanwhile the rest of us were standing in line waiting for this pantomime to be over for a good twenty minutes.

This was a very early flight and she made me miss my breakfast. Not amused.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I think Ryanairs hold baggage case size is smaller than some other airlines and also smaller than some cases sold as cabin baggage.
On our last trip they went down the queue with a cardboard box that slid over the cases. I hadn't seen that before.
This happened on a recent flight. The queue was for all flights at security not boarding gate but it was only Ryanair staff going down the queue measuring their passengers hand luggage with the box.
For me personally Ryanair are by far still the cheapest but they do so love to p*@ss off their passengers, strange attitude to PR.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

How about getting your appropriate bag once, looking after it and using again on future flights??? I've had the one I use for about 4 years! It just goes back into my luggage when I've unpacked, ready for next time.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rostra
How about getting your appropriate bag once, looking after it and using again on future flights??? I've had the one I use for about 4 years! It just goes back into my luggage when I've unpacked, ready for next time.
See the simple solutions are always the most sensible....smart alec
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

And they are also useful for keeping your packet of sherbert lemons in so they don´t get sticky.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
And they are also useful for keeping your packet of sherbert lemons in so they don´t get sticky.
Ha ha
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

I am thinking that this clever jacket may be the way forward if you only fly with hand baggage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-airlines.html
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I am thinking that this clever jacket may be the way forward if you only fly with hand baggage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-airlines.html
Havent looked at the jacket, but I use a waistcoat with BIG pockets for small but heavy items. You'll recognise me coming through the airport by the buckling knees!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Havent looked at the jacket, but I use a waistcoat with BIG pockets for small but heavy items. You'll recognise me coming through the airport by the buckling knees!
OOps, They'll be on to us now and start weighing your jackets or asking you to fit them in the hand luggage! Shhhh!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
OOps, They'll be on to us now and start weighing your jackets or asking you to fit them in the hand luggage! Shhhh!
Sorry, but keep up...they should be in the hand luggage. ()
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I can beat that record.....I've been using the same bag for twenty years, like you it goes back in the case when I've unpacked.
It's never likely to go on a Ryanair flight though.....I would rather walk than give that man my money.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The OH always takes the mickey out of me for my jacket - originally a removable inner liner from a foul weather jacket.

This accompanies me on all flights, rain or shine. The pockets are zippered and usually stuffed full of fones, mp3, usb drives etc etc. Usually just enough room to stuff my small change in before getting to the xray machine.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Sorry, but keep up...they should be in the hand luggage. ()
What??? Where did this come from? I think *I* have been keeping up. We were discussing ways of carrying extra stuff. These are 'methods' I've been using for years because I travel regularly for business so the more I can squeeze in, the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.