Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If you pass through customs into Spain from Gib you can see lots of imounded cars, vans, bikes, even a couple of caravans that Spanish customs have impounded. Some look as if they have been there for years!
Originally Posted by Rotor
There also used to be masses of cars on the Andorra /Spanish border ,confiscated from smugglers I believe.
These have been impounded as Rotor says for smuggling and not for failure to import or similar.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
These have been impounded as Rotor says for smuggling and not for failure to import or similar.
Yes, I know that. The point I was making was that once impounded they just stay there and the Police can't get rid of them so it is doubtful they will clamp down on UK cars as they don't have the money/resources to keep them. It certainly won't be a cash cow for them.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point re the insurance Co having to pay out but most people that don't tax MOT there car don't bother to insure them either, I am not saying that is all of them off course. In the UK now all this data is on the National Database and when you pass by Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras it is triggered this could be a static Camera or one mounted within a police patrol car. I do not know what systems they have in place in Spain but would think similar. Off course none of this works if the vehicle is not registered in the respective country.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain, if you are hit by a totally uninsured driver your claim will be paid by the "Consorcio". This is an organisation which takes a small percentage of the premium from all insurance policies issued in Spain.

That is true Fred and the same as the UK but the problem with that is a. although you will eventually be paid out it is not as simple as when dealing with an insured driver. b. The cost of insured drivers goes up to compensate the insurance company's for paying out for none insured drivers.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes, I know that. The point I was making was that once impounded they just stay there and the Police can't get rid of them so it is doubtful they will clamp down on UK cars as they don't have the money/resources to keep them. It certainly won't be a cash cow for them.
Normally they are taken to compounds in the San Roque area, from where I believe they are eventually auctioned off.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:57 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Fair point re the insurance Co having to pay out but most people that don't tax MOT there car don't bother to insure them either, I am not saying that is all of them off course. In the UK now all this data is on the National Database and when you pass by Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras it is triggered this could be a static Camera or one mounted within a police patrol car. I do not know what systems they have in place in Spain but would think similar. Off course none of this works if the vehicle is not registered in the respective country.
I was exceedingly (un)lucky not to fall foul of ANPR's.
Ins Co made a mistake by one digit on my policy paperwork, it was correct in all other negotiations up to that final point.
When I came to renew the tax online my application was rejected because I didnt have any insurance. Load of twaddle says I, with a few expletives deleted. Took me 3 days to sort out. Now read the paperwork carefully and no skimming.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I was exceedingly (un)lucky not to fall foul of ANPR's.
Ins Co made a mistake by one digit on my policy paperwork, it was correct in all other negotiations up to that final point.
When I came to renew the tax online my application was rejected because I didnt have any insurance. Load of twaddle says I, with a few expletives deleted. Took me 3 days to sort out. Now read the paperwork carefully and no skimming.
They made a mistake on our insurance documents too, I don't even know how they managed to put a model number for our Peugeot that doesn't even exist.
Fortunately we noticed the mistake some weeks later and had it rectified, but one wonders is we had made a claim if they would have paid out for this non existent model.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Domino that was an unfortunate mistake on behalf of the insurance company, of course no system is perfect and ANPR isn't as when triggers it doesn't inform the cop of the reason just that there is the marker. However if it takes uninsured vehicles off the road then it gets my vote.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
Correct. Insurance policies, once issued cannot be revoked by the insurance company under any circumstances - the third party element will continue. That is EU law.

All you can lose is the comprehensive/fire/theft cover.
That's entirely correct unfortunately.

Although an insurance company cannot just summarily cancel your cover on the spot they can however certainly revoke it, and can do so for for any reason they like, BUT they MUST give you a minimum of 7 days written notice of their intention to do so. This need only entail sending a recorded letter to the address stated when taking out the policy.

Typical reasons for revoking would be the supplying of false information or failure to disclose a material fact or facts when you took the policy out - not disclosing that you are not UK resident for instance would qualify as that.

Assuming it has not been revoked, and revoked correctly, then all EU policies will cover you for the minimum 3rd party risks required in the country in which you are driving for their duration but that is not to say that an insurance company would not subsequently seek to recover those losses from you personally.

The Consorcio is the equivalent of the MIB in UK and each EU country is obliged to have such an organisation to meet claims from innocent motorists hit by uninsured or untraceable drivers.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Meant 'That's NOT entirely correct' of course
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:49 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

My point was that it cannot be revoked AFTER you have had accident so they cannot get out of their responsibility to pay out the third party claim if you have an accident before they revoke it.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
My point was that it cannot be revoked AFTER you have had accident so they cannot get out of their responsibility to pay out the third party claim if you have an accident before they revoke it.
And I do take your point however I was clarifying your very assertive comment that "Insurance policies, once issued cannot be revoked by the insurance company under any circumstances" which is not true

The potential for a post 3rd party payout clawback by an insurance company is also important to be aware of.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
The potential for a post 3rd party payout clawback by an insurance company is also important to be aware of.
The point about insurance was raised in the context of someone suffering by being hit by an unisured driver.

I would hope you can agree that in that case, bearing in mind the points about revoking insurance and the Consorcio, that is unlikely to happen.

If the person responsible has a clawback - so much the better.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The point Jacky makes re cops turning a blind eye if they don't have the knowledge of the offence or it is too difficult to deal with a foreigner is of course true. Laws in any country being so comprehensive and just so dam many cops tend to deal with what they are familiar with although they do learn quickly to detain for a definite offence which may not be the offence the person is finally dealt with for. However there are Cops who if say in an area where lets say east Europeans are basically taking the micky and relying on the language problem and lack of police knowledge re their particular licence etc. These cops will make it their business to obtain this knowledge and deal with the situation rather than just give them a by. One of the problems of course is language suddenly these people can't speak English (or Spanish no doubt in Spain) however in the UK there is an excellent interpretor service available to cops not only at the station but on the streets as well. They can request an interpreter via their radio which will be arranged via the control room and the interpreter will then call the cop back via his radio which is also these days a mobile phone and the matter is dealt with via this. I off course don't know if the Guardia Civil operate in a similar way but see no reason why they wouldn't. Also if these vehicles being driven in predominantly say British or German area no doubt you will have keen English/German speaking Guardia Civil Traffico officers who will know that particular law inside out and be confident and keen to deal with the problem in their area of responsibility. That probably explains why it depends what area you are in as to how the matter is dealt with I suppose depends who stops you!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the other sunday, out for a spin, were stopped by a pair of traffic cops. the BH (driving) got out and just handed over the car papers, first cop says something to her and replies "No hablo Espanol". Second cop smiles and says "he wants your Driving Licence" in very good English.
So even in the back of beyond in Granada Province they have English speakers. And they were carrying out random checks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.