Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:09 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

http://www.spanishvida.com/2012/01/2...cars-in-spain/
This initiative is the result of an EU directive which establishes that people are obliged to comply with the tax obligations of the country in which their vehicle is being used. It is based on two aspects: the fact that the vehicle is making use of the country’s infrastructure and the environmental contamination it produces.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clampdown on Foreign Cars in Spain

Originally Posted by Domino
http://www.spanishvida.com/2012/01/2...cars-in-spain/
This initiative is the result of an EU directive which establishes that people are obliged to comply with the tax obligations of the country in which their vehicle is being used. It is based on two aspects: the fact that the vehicle is making use of the country’s infrastructure and the environmental contamination it produces.
You've not got any new news then? That was written by an out of work gestor trying to drum up some business
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
You've not got any new news then? That was written by an out of work gestor trying to drum up some business
admittedly it's hardly 'new' news.............

but the article was originally in the surinenglish on 29th Jan & written by one of their reporters http://www.surinenglish.com/20120129...201291740.html
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
admittedly it's hardly 'new' news.............

but the article was originally in the surinenglish on 29th Jan & written by one of their reporters http://www.surinenglish.com/20120129...201291740.html
Like I said that was written by an out of work gestor trying to drum up some business
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

so are you saying that the news report I posted is actually a work of fiction or copied from someone else ??

or is there a substance there, which no one has TMK actually posted here ?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

so are you saying that the news report I posted is actually a work of fiction or copied from someone else ??

I`m saying its not new news ,expat press and forums have been talking about the GC clamping down on foreign registered cars for at least 20 years that I know of but there's still thousands of them around.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Of Course Foreigners staying in the UK don't do the same then? By the way not saying it is right but happens everywhere but if you get caught no point complaining.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:13 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, are they up to that again?

Here in Mallorca, about 4 years ago the Guardia were ordered to discontinue the practice of seizing cars with foreign plates, after they seized one from some high ranking EU minister had driven down from Brussels only one month earlier. He took the matter back to Brussels and the EU put pressure on the Balearic government to stop the practice. I haven't heard of it happening since, but I don't know if it still takes place in other areas of Spain, or if they plan to start doing it again.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:16 pm

as I understand it you have 6 months by which time car has to have matriculated or vanished..

but yes, I used to get sick of driving behind PL, LT plated vehicles, knowing full well I have seen them before.

mind you last week I saw a Jag XK8 here in Spain with an out of date tax disc, so he should have been pulled, if anyone cares.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

it's not 'new' news, as I said - it has been happening all over the place on & off - seems to come in spates

the link you gave linked to the original article in SurInEnglish

I reckon the guy who wrote it is genuinely a reporter since he writes regularly for the paper - but like I said - genuine news - but not 'new'
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

as I understand it you have 6 months by which time car has to have matriculated or vanished..

but yes, I used to get sick of driving behind PL, LT plated vehicles, knowing full well I have seen them before.

mind you last week I saw a Jag XK8 here in Spain with an out of date tax disc, so he should have been pulled, if anyone cares.
They could make a load of money if they bothered to stop people and fine them. Easiest money they would ever make but this info does the rounds every now and then but there never seems to be much evidence of them actually actioning the law.

Rosemary
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
They could make a load of money if they bothered to stop people and fine them. Easiest money they would ever make but this info does the rounds every now and then but there never seems to be much evidence of them actually actioning the law.

Rosemary
You're right but bearing in mind how much money they have got to raise in the upcoming budget I would not be surprised to see some action here. As you say, it's easy money and it won't cause a general strike!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:17 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

In the 12 or so years I've been in Spain this scare story has been raised several times but never with any visible action.

I suspect this time it might be different.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
In the 12 or so years I've been in Spain this scare story has been raised several times but never with any visible action.

I suspect this time it might be different.
Perhaps the police are too busy chasing the million to a million and half that are driving around with no ITV! Unlikely, I know! According to the report, so many are doing it as there is very little chance of being caught, and there's a small fine even if you do.
http://www.abc.es/20120314/sociedad/...203141244.html

Last edited by agoreira; Mar 15th 2012 at 5:16 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The EU directive requiring the registration of vehicles in other countries has been on the statute books for many many years but has seldom not been rigorously enforced, probably through lack of knowledge and understanding by local police, it's exactly the same here in France.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.