Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Choosing the location in Spain!

Choosing the location in Spain!

Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing the location in Spain!

But not everyone is that brave, so each person's trip can be considered their own personal adventure.
There are streets in most big cities that could be considered an "adventure" if you walked down them at night.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Like the Raval in Barcelona, for example, or my home town in southwest England at pub "kicking out" time.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Like the Raval in Barcelona, for example, or my home town in southwest England at pub "kicking out" time.
Well, exactly. There again, I've lived close to Brixton (around 10 years ago) and never came across any nasty business. Probably different if I was a teenager searching out the nightlife though.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sounds very exciting. But not sure Spain is the right place to live if you have little money and want to escape the rat race.

You will have to work just as hard in Spain if not harder to make ends meet.

In terms of location; Málaga is a renowned uni popular with international students and it is a pretty cool city. And then you have the whole Costa del sol to look for English speaking work.

Warning, you'll be fighting with thousands of other Brits for a job.

I cant think fo any other good uni towns in Spain that are close to resorts. I love Granada as a city and it has a really good uni, but its quite a drive to the coast.

In the North West of Spain you dont have resorts in the way you'd imagine a holiday resort.

Then you have Barcelona and Madrid, but your talking serious money for rents. Madrid is THE party town in Spain. I actually found Barcelona not a very fun place at all, it was quite conservative with few going out areas except over-priced ones for tourists.

I had students who went to university in Alicante and lived on campus.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:29 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
There are streets in most big cities that could be considered an "adventure" if you walked down them at night.
Some might be considered damn risky in broad daylight.

I liked the time when one MP stood up in Parliament and said he wanted to see a return to times when a virgin and child carrying a bag of gold could walk in safety.

An opposing MP stood up and pointed out that thru time immemorial, there were places where a prostitute carrying a bag of stewed badger giblets would be at risk.

Nice image.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
Some might be considered damn risky in broad daylight.

I liked the time when one MP stood up in Parliament and said he wanted to see a return to times when a virgin and child carrying a bag of gold could walk in safety.

An opposing MP stood up and pointed out that thru time immemorial, there were places where a prostitute carrying a bag of stewed badger giblets would be at risk.

Nice image.

Where would a virgen or child get a bag of gold or a working girl find stewed badger giblets? Is this a true quote or a figment of your imagination ? Certainly makes politics sound fun.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:10 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Where would a virgen or child get a bag of gold or a working girl find stewed badger giblets? Is this a true quote or a figment of your imagination ? Certainly makes politics sound fun.
It was, to the best of my memory an accurate reporting of a genuine comment.

I think the replying MP also made the point about why a virgin would have a child with her, and where she got the gold.

For me, the idea that someone would want to steal a bag of stewed badger giblets made me laugh out loud.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
It was, to the best of my memory an accurate reporting of a genuine comment.

I think the replying MP also made the point about why a virgin would have a child with her, and where she got the gold.

For me, the idea that someone would want to steal a bag of stewed badger giblets made me laugh out loud.
You've obviously never been hungry. Perhaps the remark was responsible for the upsurge of badger baiting.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:50 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
You've obviously never been hungry. Perhaps the remark was responsible for the upsurge of badger baiting.
I have never been that hungry.

I would eat worms before I turned to badger giblets.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by bil
I have never been that hungry.

I would eat worms before I turned to badger giblets.
There are supposed to be some parts of Extremadura where strange (to us) foods were eaten. I don't think they ate badger parts though.