Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

chimneys and LCD

chimneys and LCD

Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of
Default chimneys and LCD

I previously asked advice about putting an LCD tv on the chimney breast and had many replies this was not advisable due to the heat. I would now like to ask does anyone know if the tv would be ok on the chimney if I got a gas fire put in instead of burning coal/logs? The tv would be on a bracket so this would take it slightly of the chimney. thanks in advance for any advice
Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chimneys and LCD

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
I previously asked advice about putting an LCD tv on the chimney breast and had many replies this was not advisable due to the heat. I would now like to ask does anyone know if the tv would be ok on the chimney if I got a gas fire put in instead of burning coal/logs? The tv would be on a bracket so this would take it slightly of the chimney. thanks in advance for any advice

Well if it were me I wouldn't risk it, the answer would be the same. The gas fire is going to generate heat and these things are sensitive to heat as is a lot of electronic stuff. I'm currently experiencing problems with a cinema surround sub woofer which apparantly is down to circuit boards overheating
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:37 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I can only say what I've done and I have my tv on the chimney breast and it has a gas 'real' fire.

I checked the temp of the breast (ooeer) before installing it and it wasn't hot to touch nor were the ambient temp from the fire itself (heat rises etc) so I didn't think twice.

It also seems the vast majority of my neighbours have done the same!

The most popular AV (audio visual) forum in the UK is probably : http://www.avforums.com so have a ask there.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Alba-gu-brath is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 32" LCD above my coal fire and never had any problems and the fire is lit every day as it is cold in Skye
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Back in the Uk I didn't have any problems with mine on the old chimney breast, scariest part is making sure you have good enough fixings (as mine was on that thermalite block). Spent the first few nights in bed waiting for the damn thing to fall off.

Incidentally Mitzy, I don't suppose your Sub is a Kef is it?

Ste.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Splatt
Incidentally Mitzy, I don't suppose your Sub is a Kef is it?

Ste.
You got it ..... yes it is.
You got the same problem?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

As per many previous replies we have ours on a chimney breast but have a wood burner installed in the fire place with an internal 'tin' exhaust inside the old brick chimney. No problems after 12 month or so and lots of fires this winter.

If you can hold your hand on the brickwork without hurting becasue of the heat it is probably OK

Steve