Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing gas bottle

Changing gas bottle

Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Bobbyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing gas bottle

Hi I'm new to this forum and my gas bottle has just finished on me, I have a spare that is full but am unsure whether to change it or not. Is there a general gas man that comes around to fit these for you to make sure you don't blow up the place? Or is the top of the cylinder completely safe to take off and put on the new bottle? They are the orange gas bottles and not the silver.

Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing gas bottle

Originally Posted by Bobbyo
Hi I'm new to this forum and my gas bottle has just finished on me, I have a spare that is full but am unsure whether to change it or not. Is there a general gas man that comes around to fit these for you to make sure you don't blow up the place? Or is the top of the cylinder completely safe to take off and put on the new bottle? They are the orange gas bottles and not the silver.

Cheers
it's safe - you do it yourself

obviously not while smoking
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Bobbyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

One thing you'd expect my uni to tell me getting here :P
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

These are the instuctions that I leave in my apartment for visitors :

To replace the bottle.
Ensure heater turned off and cool.
Open the back to fully reveal the bottle.
On top of the bottle is the regulator, it is blue with a black ring.
Using both hands hold the regulator and lift the black ring.
The regulator will lift off the bottle.
Move the hose to one side and remove the bottle.
The replacement bottle will be heavy. Much heavier than the empty one.
Remove the plastic cap.
I find it easier to reconnect a new bottle before putting it in to the fire.
Again hold the regulator in both hands, lift the black ring and fit the regulator to the top of the bottle. Press fully down, then press the black ring down until it seats.
You should not be able to lift the regulator off, if you can it is not fitted properly and will not work.
It is now ready for use as before.

HTH
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
These are the instuctions that I leave in my apartment for visitors :

To replace the bottle.
Ensure heater turned off and cool.
Open the back to fully reveal the bottle.
On top of the bottle is the regulator, it is blue with a black ring.
Using both hands hold the regulator and lift the black ring.
The regulator will lift off the bottle.
Move the hose to one side and remove the bottle.
The replacement bottle will be heavy. Much heavier than the empty one.
Remove the plastic cap.
I find it easier to reconnect a new bottle before putting it in to the fire.
Again hold the regulator in both hands, lift the black ring and fit the regulator to the top of the bottle. Press fully down, then press the black ring down until it seats.
You should not be able to lift the regulator off, if you can it is not fitted properly and will not work.
It is now ready for use as before.

HTH
Seems comprehensive, three observations: 1. The bottle may not be in a heater, it may require investigation work in a gas cupboard with more than one bottle to more than one heater/cooker/etc. 2. The regulator will not always be blue/black! 3. Before removing the regulator, there is probably/possibly a black switch you swivel over to turn off. If the 'flame' symbol is visible, it is on. It should be off before removal! 4. The critical bit, in my opinion, is determining when the regulator ring is, or is not, fully down. It needs to click firmly into place. firmly. With a distinct click, audible or felt to the touch. As said, if you can lift it it needs re-doing and this may require an actual tough pressing down on the ring rather than just associated with depressing the regulator.

Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not envisage a comprehensive, fits all guide, it was just an example of what I do in my circumstances. There is also a guide to operation which features the on off lever.
I have never seen other than a blue regulator but I'm sure they are out there.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
I did not envisage a comprehensive, fits all guide, it was just an example of what I do in my circumstances. There is also a guide to operation which features the on off lever.
I have never seen other than a blue regulator but I'm sure they are out there.
Not a criticism, just an attempt to cover off as many as possible of the OP's potential problems
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

I didn't take it as critique although my response might have seemed so.
rule 1 never post after drink !
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A rule I am familiar with (as in breaking) ... though not on that or this occasion
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:07 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobbyo

Cheers
If you have a Repsol contract and live in an area where the Repsol (orange bottles) vehicle delivers ?, then the driver will change the bottle over for you if you ask him.