Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing Electricity Supplier?

Changing Electricity Supplier?

Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default Changing Electricity Supplier?

Anyone have experience of changing electricity supplier here in Ayamonte or surroundings? We have been with the same company for 4 years and feel we are probably paying too much, but have no experience of changing or how to go about it?
Thanks
Stay safe and healthy!
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Electricity Supplier?

Have you checked the Potencia on your bill. It is noted bottom right on my bill from Energia It is not uncommon to be on a higher Potencia than you actually need. I believe a higher Potencia incurs a higher unit price Obviously that depends on the size of your property and usage

I have a 3 bed apartment . My Potencia is 4.6.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ElizabethAnn, I would agree with you that Electricity is NOT cheap in Spain. The suppliers all get you on the standing charges and taxes, hence I pay roughly 19 euros a month for NIL usage. The actual cost on metered units is not that great. I am with Endesa LUZ one nocturna, which means I have cheap electric from late evening until midday next day. I've yet to find a cheaper alternative. I just went online to check my last two month bill. (nil usage in lockdown) and it was 38.82 euros.
The suppliers are well aware that Spain is a country with the greatest number of second homes and clearly you cannot be in both simultaneously, hence they obtain the maximum amount of money from maximising the standing charges and not the metered units.
If anyone else knows of a deal with low standing charges PLEASE let me know. Clearly the lower the Potencia the lower the standing charge. 4.6 Kw is about the least you can get by with if you have aircon and cook electric. Even so, you have to be aware of what appliances are ON otherwise its not difficult the trip the breaker - if you use everything at the same time. HTH.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
I believe a higher Potencia incurs a higher unit price
No it doesn’t. It only affects the monthly charge.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

changing is very easy as long as you provide the 'new' supplier CUPS, NIE & your name
We were with Endesa and moved to HolaLuz (bit like Octopus in the UK) it only took about 48 hours
Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

For Bitmannev - Hi, I tried to get a quote with Holaluz but it didn't like either my address or the cups code. I'd be grateful if you could tell us what they charge you in terms of standing charges and cost per Kwh. I can then draw a comparison to see if its worth my while pursuing a change. Cheers.... Keith
Old Jun 26th 2020, 11:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very good comparison site here

https://comparadorofertasenergia.cnm...x.cfm?js=1&e=N
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Fred, I went through the comparison site with great interest and I could definitely save money on the metered units, which as a holiday home are quite low. I estimated 500Kw day rate and 500kw night rate a year. Night rate is mainly hot water and dishwasher / washing machine in the mornings. However the PT ( power term) or standing charges are all much the same varying between 175 to 192 euros per annum for 4.6Kw plus Iva at 21%. My endesa contract is at 192 euros plus tax. So I could save 17 euros a year, plus a bit on the consumption. Given the overall annual costs of second home ownership I have reached the conclusion the effort required to change is not worth the possible hassle. My maximum saving would be about 37 euros p.a in total. Might only pay for one meal for two each year.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by keithBT
For Bitmannev - Hi, I tried to get a quote with Holaluz but it didn't like either my address or the cups code. I'd be grateful if you could tell us what they charge you in terms of standing charges and cost per Kwh. I can then draw a comparison to see if its worth my while pursuing a change. Cheers.... Keith
Reason I switched to HolaLuz is that I support green companies who also support Solar Panels FIT. Back in the UK we use Octopus

Potencia 5,10 kW 0,103944 €/kW y día
Energía [P1] 0,161000 €/kWh day
Energía [P2] 0,094000 €/kWh evening
Energía [P3] 0,079000 €/kWh night

As having solar including feed-in-tariff getting 0,07 €/kWh back for surplus electricity