Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:47 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Originally Posted by brodev
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
THE END
In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

THE END.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

THE END.
I bet he has all the fun in the world too
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

JDR One last question before hopefully this gets put to bed, is it a requirement to carry the V5 (Reg doc) with you in the vehicle if you are in a UK Car on Holiday.

I had a quick look around google but it threw up different suggestions
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:51 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
JDR One last question before hopefully this gets put to bed, is it a requirement to carry the V5 (Reg doc) with you in the vehicle if you are in a UK Car on Holiday.

on holiday where?
in spain?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

on holiday where?
in spain?
lol, yeah mate in the Spain place
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You must carry all paperwork in the car at all times in Spain and sometimes even proof of your insurance payment.

Have a look HERE and download the PDF file for more info.

But don`t forget host country rules (ie. time spent in the country) may overide some of this info.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
You must carry all paperwork in the car at all times in Spain and sometimes even proof of your insurance payment.

Have a look HERE and download the PDF file for more info.

But don`t forget host country rules (ie. time spent in the country) may overide some of this info.
Thanks, I was looking at the .gov site but never came across that page, I gave in to easy, lol

thanks
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:10 pm
Straw Man.

lol, yeah mate in the Spain place
did you not read the e-mail I posted from the Caravan Club legal dept?

Post 70?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

did you not read the e-mail I posted from the Caravan Club legal dept?

Post 70?
More than once yesterday, however I did not digest it and today I was looking at a logbook and felt a compulsion to ask the question, I have now digested the whole post from the CCLD
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:18 pm
Straw Man.

More than once yesterday, however I did not digest it and today I was looking at a logbook and felt a compulsion to ask the question, I have now digested the whole post from the CCLD
cool

From what I understand, the law in Spain varies according to where you are based, but if you are actually travelling around and not resident then it is very different.

The advice they seem to offer is....Make sure all your paperwork is in order!!!!

But as anyone knows in Spain, it all depends on who stops you, what law they happen to be looking at and what day of the week it is.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

But as anyone knows in Spain, it all depends on who stops you, what law they happen to be looking at and what day of the week it is.
And who's driving.

Me driving on own. Stopped.
Me driving with family. Stopped.

Wife driving on own. Not stopped.
Wife driving with family. Not stopped.
Wife driving with me. Not stopped.
Wife driving with me frantically trying to hold onto dog in back of car. Not stopped.

Notice a pattern forming?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:46 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by twyntub
And who's driving.

Me driving on own. Stopped.
Me driving with family. Stopped.

Wife driving on own. Not stopped.
Wife driving with family. Not stopped.
Wife driving with me. Not stopped.
Wife driving with me frantically trying to hold onto dog in back of car. Not stopped.

Notice a pattern forming?
you're a bad driver?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:17 pm
Banned

Canon is an unknown quantity at this point

Might I suggest that not only do you need to carry the V5 but you may also need to carry a purchase invoice to prove you are the legal owner of the vehicle. As you would be on holiday, you would not be registered anywhere in the Spanish system and I have heard instances where the lads in green insist on seeing chapter and verse.

If anyone can, Canon can !