Changing banks

Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing banks

I know these are recurring questions but I would like to change banks.
I have just received a statement from Barclays Spain and have been charged 25 euros each as an annual charge for each of our debit cards. Add the quarterly and transaction charges and in my view the charges have become exorbitant.

i) Can any one recommend a bank in Oliva with reasonable charges that is likely to have an English speaking employee?

ii) How difficult is it to move accounts and direct debits etc.?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:17 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing banks

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I know these are recurring questions but I would like to change banks.
I have just received a statement from Barclays Spain and have been charged 25 euros each as an annual charge for each of our debit cards. Add the quarterly and transaction charges and in my view the charges have become exorbitant.

i) Can any one recommend a bank in Oliva with reasonable charges that is likely to have an English speaking employee?

ii) How difficult is it to move accounts and direct debits etc.?

Thanks in advance
We did it recently and it was simple. Our bank was charging for credit cards and for the debit card to get our money via a hole-in-the-wall machine! Add to that the charges for just about everything ....

We went to Sabadell - free everything. Just the one stipulation that you deposit money each month (700 euros I seem to recall) or, as in our case, a larger sum on an ad-hoc basis.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:02 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people would agree that LaCaixa seems to offer the best all'round banking in Spain. It's easy to set up an account, their online banking is in 7 languages, and is about the best I've seen (you can do ANY banking function through their online banking - including international transfers), their fees aren't the cheapest, but far from the most expensive (and only a fraction of what Barclays charges) there seems to be English speakers in every branch I've ever been to, plus there is at least one LaCaixa branch in virtually every town in Spain.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

As regards changing your direct debits, you can do most of them online yourself once you have the IBAN of your new account. Others will involve an email or a trip to the ayuntamiento.

Don't close the old one till they have all had at least one transaction go through.

I think when I moved to La Caixa they offered to do them for me, but I like to be sure (control freak!)

Also be careful how you close your old account. Some banks (eg Lloyds) have an exemption to the free online banking, and will charge an "admin fee" of 1.5% if you transfer money online to an account with another bank in your own name. It's in the very small print!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We did it recently and it was simple. Our bank was charging for credit cards and for the debit card to get our money via a hole-in-the-wall machine! Add to that the charges for just about everything ....

We went to Sabadell - free everything. Just the one stipulation that you deposit money each month (700 euros I seem to recall) or, as in our case, a larger sum on an ad-hoc basis.
I've tried Sabadell BTW but in addition to the above they insisted as a condition that I have to have my house insured through them. Enquired twice with different staff on separate dates and the story was the same.
Anyone know 'the truth'?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
I've tried Sabadell BTW but in addition to the above they insisted as a condition that I have to have my house insured through them. Enquired twice with different staff on separate dates and the story was the same.
Anyone know 'the truth'?
I can't believe that's true! I expect they are on commission. Just tell them firmly that if they insist on this, you'll take your money somewhere else!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I can't believe that's true! I expect they are on commission. Just tell them firmly that if they insist on this, you'll take your money somewhere else!
Thanks for that. That's what I thought the first time. So I waited a few days and went back in again, asked someone else and they repeated the same condition so I assumed it was correct.
If, as it may seem it might be a 'scam' then I'll be back in to them. Have to have a plan though if they call my bluff and close my account!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

It's not true!

Just tell them that it's not due for renewal yet but that when it is, you will ask them for a quote.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's not true!

Just tell them that it's not due for renewal yet but that when it is, you will ask them for a quote.
Thanks. Good Plan!

Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Anyone know 'the truth'?
No, as said is not true. For the expansion account thy like to see a regular monthly income

To the OP, Banco Sabadell fits exactly what you want

If you take out the right account you pay nothing for anything and they pay you a small percentage of your utility bills paid by d/d. The prestige account is one that charges for credit cards and maintenance, but I'm guessing it will die out eventually
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

It's in Gandia but EVO on the passeo is free banking(debit and credit cards) with no minimum monthly deposits and no commisions whichever ATM you use.The manager Paco speaks perfect English and I don't work for them
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, I pay no fees or charges on my Barclays account.

If and when you change. I would suggest, write them a letter to confirm closing the account and keep a copy.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:03 am
Just Joined

barajoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to set up a bank account here also. Thanks for the information here. I might check out Sabadell today.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Snap. We're with Barclays and just got hit with the same annual charge for debit cards and between that and the charges per transaction, our annual charges for 2012 came to €150. We'll be looking to change as well.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

barajoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Sabadell in Badajoz this morning. All I needed for an account without charges was to have an income, when I asked (foolishly perhaps) was there minimum amount he said no - no problem. Things seem to be pretty relaxed in Extremedura

everything was going fine. The cashier could speak English well which is very unusual in this part of Spain but then his scanner wasn't working so I'm waiting on a call for when it is working

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.