Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changed my gas boiler to Electric

Changed my gas boiler to Electric

Old Sep 12th 2021, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changed my gas boiler to Electric

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
We did this over 2 years ago and we have saved so much money having no gas bills over the last 18 months of lockdown. We have a 2 bedroom apartment and installed a 100 litre water heater and have always had plenty of water for up to 4 occupants. If you haven’t already done so, I recommend putting a timer on the plug socket so that it heats the water fully overnight and if you need more hot water during the day you can override the timer by pressing the advance butto 👍
How are you heating your flat?
Old Sep 13th 2021, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Most surveys I have read agree that 24/7 running is less efficient that using a timer

That theory becomes irrelevant once you introduce different charging periods which now apply to almost all users. Using a timer to utilise the off peak rates saves a great deal of energy which is why these different rates are being enforced on most users.
There are a great many variables involved beyond simply playing the rates so no 'one size to fit all'. I would suggest people experiment to find what best suits their individual needs and circumstances.

For me personally that worked out to 24/7.
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 12:54 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

When living in Singapore I was surprised how every apartment I stayed in used electric boilers for hot water, even those where the cooker had gas hobs. What's also the norm there is that each bathroom has it's own heater, as does the kitchen. So it's not all centralised.

To be honest I never turned off the boilers unless we were flying out somewhere, and my electric bills were never high. But the experience has taught me that the whole gas is cheap and elec is expensive notion is just a myth...

Here in Spain I'm seeing the opposite though. I now live in a house where the cooker is electric but the hot water comes from a gas boiler... that connects to a gas cannister. Truly startled to see such a solution...