Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cautionary tale!

Cautionary tale!

Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cautionary tale!

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Why is it tax free I thought you had to declare the income as a resident and it was aggregated with other earnings and taxed?
Yeah, right.
Are you saying that you don't know any fellow brits working cash-in-hand?

Makes me angry every year when I have to stump up several thousand euros in tax every June.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Why is it tax free I thought you had to declare the income as a resident and it was aggregated with other earnings and taxed?
:r ofl:

No, you're serious, aren't you?

Spain's deficit could be halvedd in a year if they taxed the thieving b*stards who don't pay their tax.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Spain's deficit could be halvedd in a year if they taxed the thieving b*stards who don't pay their tax.
Absolutely - and I think they are beginning to realise that.

I am hearing more and more examples of people being caught for not paying tax and they are now proposing to increase the period that they can go back from 4 years to 10.

The government departments in Spain do appear to have pretty good computer systems and they definitely talk to to each other.

I recently heard of a case where a tax rebate due from Hacienda was automatically reduced by an outstanding IBI bill from the local town hall.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fred James
Absolutely - and I think they are beginning to realise that.

I am hearing more and more examples of people being caught for not paying tax and they are now proposing to increase the period that they can go back from 4 years to 10.

The government departments in Spain do appear to have pretty good computer systems and they definitely talk to to each other.

I recently heard of a case where a tax rebate due from Hacienda was automatically reduced by an outstanding IBI bill from the local town hall.
I wonder what the time period is in the UK??
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly (and it's a long time ago) you can make a claim up to 6 years back but they can nail you as far back as they like!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

No, it definitely used to be only four years they could get you for. Obligated to keep tax and income records for 4 years as well.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cautionary tale!

Originally Posted by Dave n Dee
I wonder what the time period is in the UK??
6 years unless they decide they want to take a criminal prosecution then I think it is unlimited.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, I was talking Spain.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Due to some unfortunate circumstances when the then chancellor, John Major, put the interest rates up to 15%, and taking my accountant's advice, I went to work abroad for a few years. After some time I heard that the inland revenue were opening confidential advice offices, and I went to the one in Finsbury Square.

The young man checked my particulars and confirmed that I had no matters outstanding with them. I went to a nearby pub and had a pint to celebrate, but then remembered something and went back to the inland revenue office. I asked them to check on a company name.

When the young man looked at the computer screen he had the decency to blush and I didn't wait around. That was a good ten years after the event. I think it's different for companies rather than individuals.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future

Many thanks for the info-
Cheers.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If I remember correctly (and it's a long time ago) you can make a claim up to 6 years back but they can nail you as far back as they like!
I got done for an unaccountable invoice in a tax investigation, he said what they find wrong they can multiply for 7 years, you have to prove that it didn`t happen for the previous six years.