Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cautionary tale!

Cautionary tale!

Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cautionary tale!

Hi,
I have just returned from Fuengirola, I have an apt in Los Pacos (a district of) and I would just like to tell you this story.

I rented my apt to 2 neighbours of mine in the uk, nice people. Work allowed me to go out (lack of), so I stayed at my dads place about 20 mins away on foot.

My neighbours turned up with son and his girlfriend, (we only ever let to 2 people even though it is 2beds), we NEVER let to under 25s they are both 18/17.

No problem the mother will ensure a tidy exit from out apt, as she is very clean and tidy. We do not have a cleaner as we charge very little to let it out to friends and family as I see it as sudsidization of my costs, therefore you leave it as you found it!

My neighbours all fell out, young against oldies so mother and hubby go on a boat trip in the harbour, the type that bounces over waves etc. The mother breaks her back in 2 places (luckily not spinal column just verterbrae, which is bad enough!)

That is where it all went wrong. I was called on immediately as she was taken to the CDS hospital near Marbella. As the person with the local knowledge I was the main man, sorting out the buses to go to Hospital everyday, and acting as translator.

It turns out they have no Holiday insurance!!!!

I spent 5 days frantically going through options (E111 covers treatment But not rehab and most of a break like this is rehab)
1) airlift (very expensive)
2) hire a ground floor apt to stay in with hubby for 3 weeks as break recovers
3) Rehab care in a local rest home (around 900E per week)

The woman was emotional (as you would expect) staying in a foreign hospital with foreign food no understanding of the language, customs or situation.
Consequently she changed her mind constantly as should I stay or should i go! She finally made it back to Uk yesteday on an airlift costing 10K

I spent 8 days costantly going to Hospital every day on the bus, an ardous task in the heat and it takes about 5 hours out of you day.
The husband had been in bits in spain, and the teenagers where left in the apt all the time. My apt was trashed, and when I arrived the air con was on full with all the windows open!

Is is really worth renting it out!

LPH
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cautionary tale!

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi,
I have just returned from Fuengirola, I have an apt in Los Pacos (a district of) and I would just like to tell you this story.

I rented my apt to 2 neighbours of mine in the uk, nice people. Work allowed me to go out (lack of), so I stayed at my dads place about 20 mins away on foot.

My neighbours turned up with son and his girlfriend, (we only ever let to 2 people even though it is 2beds), we NEVER let to under 25s they are both 18/17.

No problem the mother will ensure a tidy exit from out apt, as she is very clean and tidy. We do not have a cleaner as we charge very little to let it out to friends and family as I see it as sudsidization of my costs, therefore you leave it as you found it!

My neighbours all fell out, young against oldies so mother and hubby go on a boat trip in the harbour, the type that bounces over waves etc. The mother breaks her back in 2 places (luckily not spinal column just verterbrae, which is bad enough!)

That is where it all went wrong. I was called on immediately as she was taken to the CDS hospital near Marbella. As the person with the local knowledge I was the main man, sorting out the buses to go to Hospital everyday, and acting as translator.

I spent 5 days frantically going through options (E111 covers treatment But not rehab and most of a break like this is rehab)

The woman was emotional (as you would expect) staying in a foreign hospital with foreign food no understanding of the language, customs or situation.
Consequently she changed her mind constantly as should I stay or should i go! She finally made it back to Uk yesteday on an airlift costing 10K

I spent 8 days costantly going to Hospital every day on the bus, an ardous task in the heat and it takes about 5 hours out of you day.
The husband had been in bits in spain, and the teenagers where left in the apt all the time. My apt was trashed, and when I arrived the air con was on full with all the windows open!

LPH
Crikey !
The way your luck is going I bet you have thrown away the winning lotto ticket they left you for compensation when you cleared their mess up

Last edited by chrismortley; Jul 15th 2010 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:55 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Gosh LPH...how awful !!

Hope your able to sort out your apartment and recover from all the upheaval ..you must be worn out!

Nice of you to help your neighbours out though...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:58 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

LPH
Your 'nice' neighbour has 'broken her back' and you're angry because they left the air con on and a mess.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

The point I am making is:-

1) some people are so silly not taking out holiday ins
2) how everybody gets dragged down off the back of it
3) how when you let at a cheap rate how you will be taken advantage of

My conduct towards my neighbours has been "beyond the call of duty" and I accept that a broken back has to be more important than a dirtry apt, but it shows you that a bit of bad luck and stupidity (no insurance) causes mucho heartache !

regards
lph
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:06 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

The point I am making is:-

1) some people are so silly not taking out holiday ins
2) how everybody gets dragged down off the back of it
3) how when you let at a cheap rate how you will be taken advantage of

My conduct towards my neighbours has been "beyond the call of duty" and I accept that a broken back has to be more important than a dirtry apt, but it shows you that a bit of bad luck and stupidity (no insurance) causes mucho heartache !

regards
lph
You did mention you don't usually rent out to under 25's though and only two to the place at any one time. An unfortunate set of circumstances and I think next time you should make the rules and regs known and put your foot down. Hopefully there won't be any misshaps in the future. The people near us rent out all the time to friends and family and do the same as you in the fact that they say, leave it as you found it. They do have a cleaner but she only does the bedding and things washable. The people (even youngsters who stay there) always leave it spotless. Sound like you just had a case of bad luck..
Other peoples stupidity makes for a good anicdote round the table though
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

If your guest had injured themselves in your flat would they be claiming the 10k airlift back from you?

Is it a legal requirement to have public liability insurance when renting out property? Does everyone actually have insurance or do most people who rent out their home just wing it and hope for the best?

How much does public liability insurance cost anyway?

Thinking of renting out our guest house on our land and these things worry me, especially with a pool and renting to a family with children.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:40 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
If your guest had injured themselves in your flat would they be claiming the 10k airlift back from you?

Is it a legal requirement to have public liability insurance when renting out property? Does everyone actually have insurance or do most people who rent out their home just wing it and hope for the best?

Thinking of renting out our guest house on our land and these things worry me, especially with a pool and renting to a family with children.

i could be wrong about this but, I think that a claim can only be made if there is "negligence" on the part of the property or business owner.

I somone fall in a shop and breaks their leg, then it is an accident (no compo) but if someone slips on a wet patch from a leaky freezer for example, then there is negligence on the part of the shop, and compo would be awarded.

The same goes for residential properties.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I believe different,stricter rules and safety regulations apply with regard to official commercial letting as against use by friends and family,however if money has changed hands then the former may still apply.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Surley any claims will be made against the boat ride operator, assuming they were legal with insurance
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of ours has some railings outside a rental property, and even though the bars are quite close, the insurance company insisted on him fitting some form of mesh to it before they agreed his insurance. Possibly a little head could get jammed there???? He advertises through James Villas, and according to him they are very strict about safety and what they will accept.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

You are bonkers if you don't have public liability insurance and allow others to use your apartment. It's included in my policy for the apartment and the whole policy only costs about €120 a year.

You certainly do not have to be negligent. Someone just has to injure themselves while on your property.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
You certainly do not have to be negligent. Someone just has to injure themselves while on your property.
That's what I thought.
Several of our friends over here rent out their own houses through the summer, usually for 800-1000€ a week (with pools of course) and move themselves into a small apartment or village house for six months rental for less than that per month. Not a bad little tax-free earner.
Some rent to families but not one house has pool fencing.
Whether they have insurance or not I don't know, but if not then they have to rely on being lucky every time.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

And another thing -

If someone has to claim on their holiday insurance (asuming they have bought some) then surely that insurance company is going to try to recoup their costs by claiming against the property owner/boat owner/cafe-with-slippy-floor owner, etc.

Anecdotal:
A friend in a nearby village had his car damaged by a rockfall after last years rains. Fully comp insurance so filed claim straight away. Insurance company insisted on him finding out the owner of the land and then billed that owner for the cost of the damages. Land owner didn't have public liability insurance so had to either cough up or fight the claim in court. Don't know the outcome as yet. Both parties were Spanish.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cautionary tale!

That's what I thought.
Several of our friends over here rent out their own houses through the summer, usually for 800-1000€ a week (with pools of course) and move themselves into a small apartment or village house for six months rental for less than that per month. Not a bad little tax-free earner.
Some rent to families but not one house has pool fencing.
Whether they have insurance or not I don't know, but if not then they have to rely on being lucky every time.
Why is it tax free I thought you had to declare the income as a resident and it was aggregated with other earnings and taxed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.