A cautionary tale

Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

bobesponja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A cautionary tale

My first post - but I've been lurking for a while

I just wanted to tell the tale of someone I know & their 15 year old child

They came to Spain 5 or 6 years ago, when the child was about 10

for their own reasons they decided to send the child to a fee-paying International school - where she was very happy & did pretty well

unfortunately a while ago the family hit money problems, and were unable to pay the school fees

at the beginning of this term, the school sent her home with a letter stating that she was no longer welcome, unless all back fees and this years fees were paid upfront

this seems harsh, especially since it's the final year of GCSE's

but the school is, after all is said & done, a business

I know about this because an acquaintance of mine was approached to tutor the girl privately for some of the subjects - which he agreed to do

unfortunately, although it would cost much less than the school, it seems this is also too expensive - and the teacher can't be expected to work for nothing

this poor child is now completely in limbo

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you are thinking of sending a young child to International school - be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that your source of income is secure for years to come

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO ANOTHER CHILD - BUT I'M SURE THIS ONE ISN'T THE FIRST
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A cautionary tale

Originally Posted by bobesponja
My first post - but I've been lurking for a while

I just wanted to tell the tale of someone I know & their 15 year old child

They came to Spain 5 or 6 years ago, when the child was about 10

for their own reasons they decided to send the child to a fee-paying International school - where she was very happy & did pretty well

unfortunately a while ago the family hit money problems, and were unable to pay the school fees

at the beginning of this term, the school sent her home with a letter stating that she was no longer welcome, unless all back fees and this years fees were paid upfront

this seems harsh, especially since it's the final year of GCSE's

but the school is, after all is said & done, a business

I know about this because an acquaintance of mine was approached to tutor the girl privately for some of the subjects - which he agreed to do

unfortunately, although it would cost much less than the school, it seems this is also too expensive - and the teacher can't be expected to work for nothing

this poor child is now completely in limbo

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you are thinking of sending a young child to International school - be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that your source of income is secure for years to come

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO ANOTHER CHILD - BUT I'M SURE THIS ONE ISN'T THE FIRST
A good argument for putting the kids in Spanish state school.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 11:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum

Well, sorry they fell on hard times, but thats the same all over the world ..... if you dont pay your fees then you wont get the service I'm afraid.

And as just said, maybe a Spanish State school would have been a good alternative although at the age of 10 would be a bit more of a challenge
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Welcome to the forum

Well, sorry they fell on hard times, but thats the same all over the world ..... if you dont pay your fees then you wont get the service I'm afraid.

And as just said, maybe a Spanish State school would have been a good alternative although at the age of 10 would be a bit more of a challenge
at the age of 10 she'd almost certainly have been fine - still at least 2 years of primary education left so time to catch up before going to the 'big' school

the poor girl in the first post is the one suffering now, through no fault of her own

and I dare say her parents are, too
my older dd was 9 when she transferred to state school & has just moved to secondary school

she is one of only 2 english kids in her year in the 'native' valenciano line, so it is possible