Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which category expat are you?

Which category expat are you?

Old May 26th 2010, 3:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which category expat are you?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes sad, but as lynxxa said, they sound like the kind of families that live in the poor uneducated areas of the UK, maybe a run down coucil estate or a concrete 60s tower block, so they probably havent missed out on much.

Well, maybe a bit of robbery and small time drug pushing

Seriously, the role of parents is probably THE most critical thing in education.
You have apoint (sh*t can you believe we are agreeing), but I think that this particular couple had bought their council house in a nice part of Cheshire and it became worth quite a few bob.

That asset could have been put to better use, than an extended holiday, because by all accounts that is what it was, and now they will probably end up on one of those really bad council estates somewhere.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

That asset could have been put to better use, than an extended holiday, because by all accounts that is what it was, and now they will probably end up on one of those really bad council estates somewhere.
Yes, well ignorance breeds ignorance as they say.

Unfortunately the "under-educated" (lets call them that!) are more likely to make poor life decisions.

I've long had a suspicion that half the Brits in Spain made a fortune off their council houses and used that money to fund their life in Spain. It was a one-off enconomic freak that perversely has left the Western world in the mess it is in now.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:24 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It’s going a bit far to suggest the sale of council houses affects the Western world, but I know of some extreme examples around London which are quite funny really. The areas of Hoxton and Limehouse (Docklands) used to be poor council estates until the City of London grew and Canary Wharf was built.

Suddenly the newly arrived bankers needed housing and were prepared to pay silly sums for it. The council tenants soon caught on and bought their dingy flats for a pittance under Thatcher’s law.

They bought their flats from the councils for something like £20K and sold them to the bankers for anything up to £400K. Then they all moved to Clacton and bought detached bungalows and even small farms. Some even ride with the local hunt.

I don’t think any of them moved to Spain, their holiday area was always the Essex coast, they wouldn’t want to venture farther afield. The council house sellers that did come to Spain are usually from other parts of the UK.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;8591722]It’s going a bit far to suggest the sale of council houses affects the Western world, QUOTE]

I was thinking more of the sale of council houses at high prices as an example of unsustainable proliferation of house prices and at the same time, personal and national debt.

For me, a key statistic for a healthy economy is the relation between house prices and salary levels (which should be 4-5 times average salary) and the amount of debt per household vs. income levels.

For example, the average household income in Andalucia is about 19k euros per year. When an average 3 bed flat/house starts selling for around 100k we will be back down to sustainable levels.

Until then, I'm not buying
Old May 27th 2010, 7:29 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;8591758]
Originally Posted by HBG
It’s going a bit far to suggest the sale of council houses affects the Western world, QUOTE]

I was thinking more of the sale of council houses at high prices as an example of unsustainable proliferation of house prices and at the same time, personal and national debt.

For me, a key statistic for a healthy economy is the relation between house prices and salary levels (which should be 4-5 times average salary) and the amount of debt per household vs. income levels.

For example, the average household income in Andalucia is about 19k euros per year. When an average 3 bed flat/house starts selling for around 100k we will be back down to sustainable levels.

Until then, I'm not buying
On the southern Costa Blanca, south of Alicante, three-bedroom houses are already selling for 100K, having fallen from 180K over the past two years. The trend has continued inland as well, although fewer houses are for sale there.

Andalucia is more expensive, I looked around the Antequera area recently and the average three-bedroom house is still around 150k there.

It reminds me of looking to buy a caravan at Poole in Dorset many years ago. The site was on the sea front, but the ones with the sea views were twice the price of the ones further back.

The salesman explained it perfectly. ‘You’re paying for the view.’
Old May 27th 2010, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=HBG;8592952]

On the southern Costa Blanca, south of Alicante, three-bedroom houses are already selling for 100K, having fallen from 180K over the past two years. The trend has continued inland as well, although fewer houses are for sale there.

Andalucia is more expensive, I looked around the Antequera area recently and the average three-bedroom house is still around 150k there.

It reminds me of looking to buy a caravan at Poole in Dorset many years ago. The site was on the sea front, but the ones with the sea views were twice the price of the ones further back.

Yes and Antequera is one of the cheaper places in Andalucia, its an hour from the Coast.

You're still looking at least 300k for a half-decent 3 bed villa in the CDS, though noone is selling at the moment. Someone I know has a normalish 4 bed villa on the way to Mijas up for sale for 600k, needless to say they've not had even 1 viewing in a year now. That villa is worth half that, but they (and everyone) "can't afford" to sell at that price because they wouldnt make any profit

Well, tough!
Old May 28th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;8592952]

Rockley Park? I used to love my caravan holidays there (renting - with sea views, naturally) and jetskiing across the harbour.
Old May 28th 2010, 12:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=montgomail;8595721]
Originally Posted by HBG

Rockley Park? I used to love my caravan holidays there (renting - with sea views, naturally) and jetskiing across the harbour.
That's the one. There was a really famous act in the clubhouse at the time, it might have been Freddy Starr, the guy that ate a hamster.
Old May 28th 2010, 6:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;8595759]
Originally Posted by montgomail

That's the one. There was a really famous act in the clubhouse at the time, it might have been Freddy Starr, the guy that ate a hamster.
He lives just down the mountain from us.
Old May 28th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jdr;8596407]
Originally Posted by HBG

He lives just down the mountain from us.

Ahem, I never mentioned Freddie ... have you been taking lessons from Wilmore?

In answer to HBG - the only act that I recall was Bradley Bear who I tended to avoid; preferred a glass of wine in me van, I did.
Old May 28th 2010, 7:20 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=montgomail;8596424]
Originally Posted by jdr

Ahem, I never mentioned Freddie ... have you been taking lessons from Wilmore?

In answer to HBG - the only act that I recall was Bradley Bear who I tended to avoid; preferred a glass of wine in me van, I did.
A glass of wine in me van? I thought you were a posh lady from Denia and Rockley Park. And Freddie Starr lives in Benalmadena? What’s the world coming to?

I suppose the next thing we’ll hear is that Ricky Valence (Tell Laura I love her) lives in Torrevieja?
Old May 28th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;8596529]

A glass of wine in me van? I thought you were a posh lady from Denia and Rockley Park. And Freddie Starr lives in Benalmadena? What’s the world coming to?

I suppose the next thing we’ll hear is that Ricky Valence (Tell Laura I love her) lives in Torrevieja?
Ricky Valence - I thought he died years ago with Buddy Holly or something or is that the joke?

Nice song tho even tho I hadnt been born by then.

Sorry, just checked. wrong ritchie/ricky.

Last edited by paintermujer; May 28th 2010 at 7:46 pm. Reason: storms and rain
Old May 28th 2010, 7:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=paintermujer;8596543]
Originally Posted by HBG

Ricky Valence - I thought he died years ago with Buddy Holly or something or is that the joke?

Nice song tho even tho I hadnt been born by then.

Sorry, just checked. wrong ritchie/ricky.
I thought the same as you until I saw him in the flesh singing the song a few weeks ago. He doesn’t look bad for his age, I was about 12-years old when I heard his song, which means that he must be over a hundred years old. He’s got to be on something.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear, these quotes are well and truly stuffed .... JDR!
Old May 29th 2010, 5:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, these quotes are well and truly stuffed .... JDR!
It wasn't him - it was Cricketman who started it

look!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.