British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Which category expat are you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/category-expat-you-669413/)

steviedeluxe May 23rd 2010 2:59 pm

Which category expat are you?

I saw this used to describe expats in another country, and thought (suitably modified) it could be used with regard to Spain

What you find amongst the ex-pats is that they either
A) live there, play and leave with good memories
B) live, love the place, become Spanish and stay
or C) they stay too long when the minuses have started to outweigh the pluses and become bitter and very unhappy.

jdr May 23rd 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Which category expat are you?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8584435)
I saw this used to describe expats in another country, and thought (suitably modified) it could be used with regard to Spain

or C) they stay too long when the minuses have started to outweigh the pluses and become bitter and very unhappy.

Maybe you should add one like "none of the above" i don`t fit any of the options, although B is the closest.

JLFS May 23rd 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8584435)

I dont really understand your reasoning with the B option, about becoming Spanish, do you mean take nationality? Because there is no need we are in the EU.

Load of Spanish have stayed in the UK because they love it, but they have not become British, they are what they are Spanish people who live in the UK.

HBG May 23rd 2010 8:21 pm

You’ve over simplified it Stevie. I came over to try it out, found that I liked it, and stayed.

Many years later, I’m still here and still like it, love it would be more appropriate, but outside influences can change things, the exchange rate is the best example, I might love the place to death but if I can’t afford to live here, the dream is dead. That wouldn’t make me bitter, just realistic.

I’ve turned into a flexible expat, but I’m not prepared to learn another language, if it goes wrong, I’m going home. I hope it doesn’t happen.

Dick Dasterdly May 23rd 2010 8:40 pm

Not something you can truly categorise.
There are 1001 reasons and combinations of reasons why folk come to Spain and just as many reasons why they either stay or leave.
However its highly unlikely you'll ever get to know about a fraction of them on an open forum.

Veleta May 23rd 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8585028)
I dont really understand your reasoning with the B option, about becoming Spanish, do you mean take nationality? Because there is no need we are in the EU.

Load of Spanish have stayed in the UK because they love it, but they have not become British, they are what they are Spanish people who live in the UK.

I agree we don't need to change nationality, but personally I can't wait to do so. 18 months and counting before I can submit the application:thumbup::thumbup:

HBG May 23rd 2010 8:57 pm

I’ve just thought of another problem after hearing ‘er indoors on the phone to a Spanish friend.

If the wheel comes off, I might be going home alone, she’s more Spanish than Spanish and has lived here for most of her life.

I might be wandering the Essex mud flats on my own. Fxxx it, this is getting serious, Stevie, you’re a troublemaker.

Dick Dasterdly May 23rd 2010 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8585090)
I’ve just thought of another problem after hearing ‘er indoors on the phone to a Spanish friend.

If the wheel comes off, I might be going home alone, she’s more Spanish than Spanish and has lived here for most of her life.

I might be wandering the Essex mud flats on my own. Fxxx it, this is getting serious, Stevie, you’re a troublemaker.

Sorry pal,....No chance,
Englands already full up of refugees from all over the globe.

On the other hand if you can prove yer lifes in mortal danger from er indoors,.... D.C. being the kind-hearted sole he is,.... might just take pity on yer....:rofl:

Providing of course you promise im yer vote next time around.:sneaky:

HBG May 23rd 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8585108)
Sorry pal,....No chance,
Englands already full up of refugees from all over the globe.

On the other hand if you can prove yer lifes in mortal danger from er indoors,.... D.C. being the kind-hearted sole he is,.... might just take pity on yer....:rofl:

Providing of course you promise im yer vote next time around.:sneaky:

Don’t you start frightening me as well, I voted for DC’s pal. And I won’t sleep tonight now you’ve told me the place is full up.

Imagine leaving your country for 20-odd years and being told that you’re no longer wanted there? And all because you’ve thrown a few tax bills in the basura.

Dick Dasterdly May 23rd 2010 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8585161)
Don’t you start frightening me as well, I voted for DC’s pal. And I won’t sleep tonight now you’ve told me the place is full up.

Imagine leaving your country for 20-odd years and being told that you’re no longer wanted there? And all because you’ve thrown a few tax bills in the basura.

Oh dear sorry,I do apologise.
Next time I'll try and remember to take them straight down to the recycling bin.:rofl:
Anyway as a last resort,I've always got my other bolt-hole deep in the Scandinavian forests,.... just like Robin Hood,... and protected by my own very merry men with their moonshine vodka and I also happen to know one or two very accomodating Maid Marions up that way too, just the thing on a cold Winters night.:sneaky:

bil May 24th 2010 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8585184)
Oh dear sorry,I do apologise.
Next time I'll try and remember to take them straight down to the recycling bin.:rofl:
Anyway as a last resort,I've always got my other bolt-hole deep in the Scandinavian forests,.... just like Robin Hood,... and protected by my own very merry men with their moonshine vodka and I also happen to know one or two very accomodating Maid Marions up that way too, just the thing on a cold Winters night.:sneaky:

Shouldn't that be 'Made' Marion?

cricketman May 25th 2010 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8585028)

I agree, you cant do it in one lifetime

One thing I do find strange is the British kids who have lived all their life in Spain and maybe were even born in Spain and yet are 100% British, in some cases not even speaking Spanish.

I find that weird. I think kids need to be able to identify with the society they live in. I'd even go so far to say that these kids should be encouraged to speak Spanish as their majority everyday language, otherwise they will have no choice but to immigrate when they get older to another country they will barely know.

paintermujer May 25th 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8588702)
I agree, you cant do it in one lifetime

One thing I do find strange is the British kids who have lived all their life in Spain and maybe were even born in Spain and yet are 100% British, in some cases not even speaking Spanish.

I find that weird. I think kids need to be able to identify with the society they live in. I'd even go so far to say that these kids should be encouraged to speak Spanish as their majority everyday language, otherwise they will have no choice but to immigrate when they get older to another country they will barely know.

I agree.

Some parents speak hardly any spanish so how on earth do they help their children,even a little, with homework.

In fact they tend to stay away from school completely and drop their kids off outside.

onlineamiga May 25th 2010 3:30 pm

Id say im between an A and a B. At the moment I have absolutely no reason to ever want to leave Spain. But I cant say that I am definately staying here for the rest of my life. Who knows what opportunities are out there or what will happen :)

rachelk May 25th 2010 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by onlineamiga (Post 8588780)
Id say im between an A and a B. At the moment I have absolutely no reason to ever want to leave Spain. But I cant say that I am definately staying here for the rest of my life. Who knows what opportunities are out there or what will happen :)

Agreed, I am perfectly happy now but don't know what the future holds. I might be here for ever, or I might be somewhere else this time next year. Who knows?

OFF TOPIC WARNING

If anything puts me off it'll be the incompetent beaurocracy. Some of them are brilliantly efficient and some are just dreadful, and because they work such a short day you need to take time off work everytime they mess up.

5%?? I say take 55% off the fools!

:banghead: