Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Carrying on learning to drive in Spain?

Carrying on learning to drive in Spain?

Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carrying on learning to drive in Spain?

I am currently insured and learning to drive in my Husbands car, with my Husband (yes, he has alot of patience!).
However, we are moving to Spain very soon and I know I will not be in a position to take a test or anything yet, nor in a position to pay for a quick driving course.
I know that the UK provisional license does not mean anything in Spain but can I exchange mine for a Spanish equivalent?
Also, I also read that my HUsband would not be able to continue teaching me in his car, is this correct?
Can an instructor in Spain teach me in our car as we have just renewed our insurance (with a company that will cover Spain eventually) and it seems a waste of money if I cannot drive his car in any way in Spain?
Help!!!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carrying on learning to drive in Spain?

Originally Posted by emjharts
I am currently insured and learning to drive in my Husbands car, with my Husband (yes, he has alot of patience!).
However, we are moving to Spain very soon and I know I will not be in a position to take a test or anything yet, nor in a position to pay for a quick driving course.
I know that the UK provisional license does not mean anything in Spain but can I exchange mine for a Spanish equivalent?
Also, I also read that my HUsband would not be able to continue teaching me in his car, is this correct?
Can an instructor in Spain teach me in our car as we have just renewed our insurance (with a company that will cover Spain eventually) and it seems a waste of money if I cannot drive his car in any way in Spain?
Help!!!
No such thing as a provisional license in Spain, you have to learn in a registered driving school car, so I'm afraid the answer to lour questions is all negative. Once you have passed your test in Spain you can drive, subject to certain restrictions, but you have to dispaly a green P sticker in your car for one year. Laws for these drvers are far more draconian than for fully qualified drivers, especially drink driving laws where the limit is 0.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No such thing as a provisional license in Spain, you have to learn in a registered driving school car, so I'm afraid the answer to lour questions is all negative. Once you have passed your test in Spain you can drive, subject to certain restrictions, but you have to dispaly a green P sticker in your car for one year. Laws for these drvers are far more draconian than for fully qualified drivers, especially drink driving laws where the limit is 0.
Yep, you can only learn in cars from a registered driving school.

And you will have to pass your theory test before they will let you take any practical driving lessons. And the theory test is difficult! But you can take it English.

My OH past last year, cost us over 1,000 euros. Though she's not the most natural driver in the world
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Taught my OH on the racetrack initially then although supposedly not legal we found a Spanish driving school in Fuengirola that gave her some lessons on the local roads with her UK provisional licence . She then went back to the UK for an intensive 5 day course and passed her test there. Worked out considerably cheaper than trying to do it here
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
And you will have to pass your theory test before they will let you take any practical driving lessons.
Not true, you can take practical lessons while you're studying for the theory.

Originally Posted by cricketman
And the theory test is difficult!
Not really.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:31 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
She then went back to the UK for an intensive 5 day course and passed her test there. Worked out considerably cheaper than trying to do it here
That Andy is the best way to pass any driving test (by far)
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if true or not but I heard that you can only go back and take test in UK if you are still registered as living there. I have UK provisional and am wanting to be able drive here. Going to check out the coche sin carnet option if I can.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I am not sure if true or not but I heard that you can only go back and take test in UK if you are still registered as living there. I have UK provisional and am wanting to be able drive here. Going to check out the coche sin carnet option if I can.
True, you have to have a UK address to have a UK license, most people moving to Spain use their UK license for as long as possible, but if you lose it you can't get a replacement as it has to be sent to a UK address.