carpenters

Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Tammy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carpenters

hi we went to a property show today in england, and we was asking about jobs for my husband, he is a joiner and a handyman, now the man we spoke to said hubby would get a job easy is this right, he dosent speak spanish at all, and we was looking at the cost calida and surrounding area, need to be near a school as well, does anybody no any building firms, and how much is the weekly wage on average, thanks for anyhelp
Old Oct 14th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpenters

These people will tell you anything you want to hear if they think it may result in a sale.
If your husband does not speak any Spanish, the only option is finding work would be with a British firm.

The last figures I saw re the average weekly wage in Spain was around €200-€300 gross.

The Spanish building firm we employ from time to time charges €13 an hour for each skilled man. Plasterer/ carpenter etc, and €9 an hour for a labourer if required.
So as you can see the wages for the workers will not be very high.

BW.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:23 am
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tammy
hi we went to a property show today in england, and we was asking about jobs for my husband, he is a joiner and a handyman, now the man we spoke to said hubby would get a job easy is this right, he dosent speak spanish at all, and we was looking at the cost calida and surrounding area, need to be near a school as well, does anybody no any building firms, and how much is the weekly wage on average, thanks for anyhelp
The market in Spain is flooded with "English Builders/Joiners" and most can't speak Spanish ,the ones who can find work hard to come by,the only other thing he could do is to be self employed but you have to pay Social ,at a rate of 230 euro a month whether you work or not ,but some Spanish is still needed ,he could expect to earn between 8 and 15 euros per hour .
I know of several "English Builders/Joiners" who have returned to England disillusioned a financially crippled and these are good tradesmen .
I am a Builder and I've been between UK and Spain for the last 5 years so i have some experience and know what i'm talking about ,fortunately i don't need to work in Spain so the problem for me doesn't arise ,i think it's wrong for these sales people to tell you it's easy to find work, because it's not .

I hope this is of some help.... Feel free to PM me....Cowboy Builder.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 6:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tammy
No matter what they tell you, you will have to learn or more preferably know some basic Spanish before you get here, if he is going to work, then the places he will get his raw materials from will be Spanish, and all forms etc will also be in Spanish. Weekly wages are lower than the UK, but then so is the cost of living.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No matter what they tell you, you will have to learn or more preferably know some basic Spanish before you get here, if he is going to work, then the places he will get his raw materials from will be Spanish, and all forms etc will also be in Spanish. Weekly wages are lower than the UK, but then so is the cost of living.
An Opinion.
Short term there appears to be a renovation and building boom in Spain, and any half decent builder will build up a good name and get work from the Local English community, Spanish will be a problem, but you'll soon learn.
The biggest issue will be when the current boom collapses, A lot of the money that circulates within the Brit communities is either pensions or money realised by selling of property assets in the UK, which is then being put into reforms and the like in Spain. Very little "new" money is being generated within the brit working communities ( IE there is very little work being done by Expats for Spanish firms or Spanish people). Longer term if the British house and economy hiccups, there will be a chill breeze blowing for a lot of people in Spain as that money for reforms and building dries up and people here without incomes from UK have no fall back position. Sounds a bit doom and gloom, but it is one of the scenario's to consider before selling up the country plot and moving here.
Good Luck!!