Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Hizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

As mentioned in the title, and in another thread that I have posted relating to work, we would like to relocate our young family to the Quesada / Almeria area in 2008.

I have taken a brief Spanish language course this year and together with my wife are booked on a more intensive one next year. We have every language book, CD and cassette going! I'm putting 'post it' notes on various pieces of furniture/ items/rooms around our house to familiarise us with translation and help with recognition!

We are coming to Quesada on the 24th Oct for 10 days, with the primary objective of looking around areas to see what they are like and whether they would habit our ambitions. we appreciate that the ever changing landscape landscape will mostly be different in 2 years time.

Like many others harbouring a dream of a better lifestyle of more quality time, we have attended Spanish property (sales) exhibitions and received no end of brochures from Atlas et all. Although, we would rather not be in what on the face of it appears to be a mini Milton Keynes (no offence to their residents) ie. uniformed houses but by the same token having 3 children aged 2, 4 and 8 don't want to be 'out on a limb' in a lovely house with them having no other nearby children to play with.

Ideally, we would like to meet up with others who have relocated to the Quesada / Almeria area when we come cross to assist our questions / concerns. I'll be posting separately about this though I suspect.

In the meantime, given that we have the 2 year plan to move, what would you be doing in this period - language/work/school etc.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

Originally Posted by Hizz
As mentioned in the title, and in another thread that I have posted relating to work, we would like to relocate our young family to the Quesada / Almeria area in 2008.

I have taken a brief Spanish language course this year and together with my wife are booked on a more intensive one next year. We have every language book, CD and cassette going! I'm putting 'post it' notes on various pieces of furniture/ items/rooms around our house to familiarise us with translation and help with recognition!

We are coming to Quesada on the 24th Oct for 10 days, with the primary objective of looking around areas to see what they are like and whether they would habit our ambitions. we appreciate that the ever changing landscape landscape will mostly be different in 2 years time.

Like many others harbouring a dream of a better lifestyle of more quality time, we have attended Spanish property (sales) exhibitions and received no end of brochures from Atlas et all. Although, we would rather not be in what on the face of it appears to be a mini Milton Keynes (no offence to their residents) ie. uniformed houses but by the same token having 3 children aged 2, 4 and 8 don't want to be 'out on a limb' in a lovely house with them having no other nearby children to play with.

Ideally, we would like to meet up with others who have relocated to the Quesada / Almeria area when we come cross to assist our questions / concerns. I'll be posting separately about this though I suspect.

In the meantime, given that we have the 2 year plan to move, what would you be doing in this period - language/work/school etc.
Hi
We are a retired couple living in Quesada for just over 2 years and really liking it.
We lived the previous 22 years in... yes, Milton Keynes (well, Bletchley, actually)
A great place to raise 3 children, but we couldn't afford to retire in UK!

I don't think we'd choose to come here with young children, as Rojales(to which Quesada is adjacent) was described in El Pais, Spain's national daily, as "Spain's Golden Pond"
It was described as having the highest percentage of pensioners in Spain.

However, if you do decide to come here (and it has got a lot going for it), I'd thoroughly recommend a call to our agents, Rick & Lisa Mentessi, of DelricoDreamHomes.
They are really lovely people and you couldn't get more help from anyone, IMO.

They live here but are contactable on 0800 081 60 40.
(PS we are not employed by them )
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Well for a start ,....Beware of Atlas, I think a few others will agree here, ! !
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:35 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

[QUOTE=Hizz]As mentioned in the title, and in another thread that I have posted relating to work, we would like to relocate our young family to the Quesada / Almeria area in 2008.

Quesada is on the Costa Blanca and Almeria is a long way south. Are you looking in both areas?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=jjh]

Quesada is on the Costa Blanca and Almeria is a long way south. Are you looking in both areas?
Thanks for the response. In answer to your question, we are looking in many areas, and are seeking advice especially from those within Spain already. We have been recommended to the areas of Quesada, Bigastro and Guadamar. Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:55 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hizz]
Originally Posted by jjh

Thanks for the response. In answer to your question, we are looking in many areas, and are seeking advice especially from those within Spain already. We have been recommended to the areas of Quesada, Bigastro and Guadamar. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Are you thinking of moving to Guardamar or Guadamar?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]

Are you thinking of moving to Guardamar or Guadamar?
mis spelt in my enthusiasm to respond. Yes, Guadamar!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Hizz]
Originally Posted by rugbymatt

mis spelt in my enthusiasm to respond. Yes, Guadamar!
As far as I'm aware they both refer to the same place, Gua(r)damar del Segura, a lively and pleasant(IMO) resort town to the North of Torrevieja. Lots of nice cafes, restaurants and beaches(although you should only swim in areas known to be safe, there are some nasty accidents every year). Not a great 'shopping town', but you aren't far from Torrevieja or Alicante.
More suitable, possibly, for a young family than Quesada... it is certainly more 'Spanish', but I think you'd need to check-out the availability of suitable schools in the area.

I don't know anything about Bigastro.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rogerb]

As far as I'm aware they both refer to the same place, Gua(r)damar del Segura, a lively and pleasant(IMO) resort town to the North of Torrevieja. Lots of nice cafes, restaurants and beaches(although you should only swim in areas known to be safe, there are some nasty accidents every year). Not a great 'shopping town', but you aren't far from Torrevieja or Alicante.
More suitable, possibly, for a young family than Quesada... it is certainly more 'Spanish', but I think you'd need to check-out the availability of suitable schools in the area.

I don't know anything about Bigastro.

It was a sarky comment about the dialect it is written in thats all!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]
Originally Posted by rogerb

It was a sarky comment about the dialect it is written in thats all!
Are these the same dialects that were the hindering enemy of Dr Who? LOL
Old Oct 9th 2006, 5:48 pm
Straw Man.

[QUOTE=Hizz]
Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Are these the same dialects that were the hindering enemy of Dr Who? LOL

The very same ones!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Intend moving to Quesada in 2 years - how would you be planning?

Quesada is quite remote ( even if 10 minutes from the coast by car ) if using public transport...

If learning Spanish be aware that Guardamar is the most southerly part of Spain where the Catalan dialect ( Valenciano ) is spoken - mainly by those who have lived in the town all their days
Nowadays you can hear a lot of Russian spoken all along the coast !

Guardamar would be a better place to bring up children ie more doing - lots of schools - theatre - museum etc.

Look at www.guardamar.net or www.guardamarinformation.com

Make sure you use a good abogado if buying property and look at www.c-euro.org for the "facts" about living in Spain

Peter