Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Carjet increase in prices ??

Carjet increase in prices ??

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carjet increase in prices ??

I have used carjet several times a year for many years and was surprised today to find they have increased their prices quite a bit. We hired a car 4 weeks ago for €115 and the same car is now €170 for the same period in 6 weeks time. They have also added a surcharge of €14 for diesel and only allow 2 drivers free instead of 4. Has anybody used another company they can recommend
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carjet increase in prices ??

Originally Posted by Red Devil
I have used carjet several times a year for many years and was surprised today to find they have increased their prices quite a bit. We hired a car 4 weeks ago for €115 and the same car is now €170 for the same period in 6 weeks time. They have also added a surcharge of €14 for diesel and only allow 2 drivers free instead of 4. Has anybody used another company they can recommend
Most firms have winter and summer prices. ;-))
What part of Spain for the rental would help also ?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate that we do pay more in the summer but I thought January and early April were about the same or only a small difference. This is to collect from/return to Alicante airport.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Try http://www.arguscarhire.com
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I fell out with Carjet years ago over non advised diesel car surcharges. they are not a hire company, they are a clearing house iirc.

I always used Victoria Car Hire after that as I always got what I asked for and paid what they'd quoted.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

i have also just fell out with carjet having booked through them the last 10 times i've been to Alicante.. I have booked my next car hire with goldstar es
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

couchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant future

We have always used www.amigoautos.com which is a clearing house and find Crown or goldstar most competitive. hired a focus estate (sw) last week for 5 days charged 60 euros for full tank but refunded if returned full and cost was 94 euros. I didint think that was bad
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Try these
http://www.DoYouSpain.com
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I don't know about a price increase for carjet, but I just did a comparison of a Ford Focus estate for 1 week from the 6th March, we have paid 116€ through carjet, doing it through amigoautos it was 112€. Not much difference there at all.

Never having used amigoautos I think we will stick with carjet, even if they do have the pay for fuel on top of rental price and a take full return empty policy.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Hmmm, I don't know about a price increase for carjet, but I just did a comparison of a Ford Focus estate for 1 week from the 6th March, we have paid 116€ through carjet, doing it through amigoautos it was 112€. Not much difference there at all.

Never having used amigoautos I think we will stick with carjet, even if they do have the pay for fuel on top of rental price and a take full return empty policy.
My brother in law comes over about 5 to 6 times a year and uses carjet every visit, he is always going on about how cheap they are and that he has always booked small cars like Corsas and generally ended up with a much larger car for the Corsa rate.

Funny he did mention to me the last time he was over (about 2 weeks ago) that it takes about an hour to get the car now... because of more people having booked carjet while the other rental desks are empty, a sign of cheaper service I guess.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Carjet are just an agent to offer the cheapest care rental rates to the customer. In practice last year they secured a one company deal with Europcar/Goldcar, these two companies have amalgamated, that is why there are always queues at their desk. So they may offer cheap car rental but we don't really know if it is the cheapest car rental!

The only time we have had to queue was May bank holiday last year and we stood for 1 hour and 50 minutes before we got to the desk. I saw many people walk away and rent from the other companies available. Now what we tend to do is leave Karen at the baggage collection if we have cases with us whilst I nip down to the car rental desk as fast as possible! Once i have collected the car keys I go back to find her at the carousels. So far have always managed to avoid any major queues like this.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As I said before, I fell out with Carjet as you have no control over who you will end up renting from, and the last time I used them I was charged extra charges by the company they sent us to (for a duiesel car). I also queued for ages and the staff were unhelpful and rude. I complained to Carjet on my return

The company I use now have always been good and I have never queued.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

I've had the same trouble as you Mitzy. I wanted to rent a Cleo last Nov through auriga crown via carjet, however when we got there we were given a peuguet partner ( like a van ) and very heavy on gas. I complaned to carjet on my return who forwarded my e-mail onto auriga crown, was assured this would never happen again blah blah. Last weekend booked through them again and got auriga crown again, Got to the desk and was offered an " upgrade " to a ford focus for an extra 20 euros, Having said no I was then given a focus at the same price, because they have no cleos:curse: On my return I e-mailed carjet and said in view of the fact that you don't know who your rental is with until booking is complete, and augiga crown are just taking the mick, I shall no longer use their sevices, the reply was "ok" So that shows you their attitude... Last year alone I rented, on average, every 6 weeks, a car through them,
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

So they try it on at the desk, don't Brit companies do the same? ie, they don't have what you have paid for so offer you an upgrade for x amount more, if you say no they still give you the upgrade for free, they are just trying to recoup what it is costing them. I'm not condoning it as good practice, just ssaying it happens all over.

We have in the last 16 months been upgraded to a diesel Citroen Picasso because they did not have a petrol Ford Focus estate which we wanted for free. Then also been upgraded 4 times to a diesel Ford Focus estate from the petrol one ordered for free.

Shame we can't get the Picasso upgrade every time we travel!! superb for fitting the entire contents of Ikea and Leroy Merlin in the back We come out again on thursday and have ordered the usual Focus estate, it'll be intresting to see what we end up with, the company on the header is Goldcar.