Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Tax - Please help.

Car Tax - Please help.

Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:31 am
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all
Default Car Tax - Please help.

We sold our car in March this year. Part exd it for a newer one.
Since then we have been getting requests for us to pay the car tax on it.
We had paid the tax due up until May before we sold it.
Surely it's not our resposibility to pay tax on something we don't own - that is owned by someone else?
If so, where does this one end?
Perhaps they could get us to pay the insurance for a new owner, or the servicing bill.
If the dealership we sold it to decides to service it and test drive it, do we then become responsible for the little old lady and her grandchildren that he runs over and kills?
Maybe they could get us to pay water rates and household maintenance bills for the year after we sell our house.
Or could it just be yet another cock up from a Spanish government department? Do I need to ask my MEP? Although we tried that once before and got nowhere - MEPs are there to have a good time at taxpayers expense, not to actually do anything for those people who voted them in.
We asked the Madrid consulate for advice but they just referred us to the Spanish equivalent of DVLA.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Tax - Please help.

Stupid question really .... but have you spoken to the dealership?

Originally Posted by sjrw
We sold our car in March this year. Part exd it for a newer one.
Since then we have been getting requests for us to pay the car tax on it.
We had paid the tax due up until May before we sold it.
Surely it's not our resposibility to pay tax on something we don't own - that is owned by someone else?
If so, where does this one end?
Perhaps they could get us to pay the insurance for a new owner, or the servicing bill.
If the dealership we sold it to decides to service it and test drive it, do we then become responsible for the little old lady and her grandchildren that he runs over and kills?
Maybe they could get us to pay water rates and household maintenance bills for the year after we sell our house.
Or could it just be yet another cock up from a Spanish government department? Do I need to ask my MEP? Although we tried that once before and got nowhere - MEPs are there to have a good time at taxpayers expense, not to actually do anything for those people who voted them in.
We asked the Madrid consulate for advice but they just referred us to the Spanish equivalent of DVLA.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:58 am
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Stupid question really .... but have you spoken to the dealership?
We didn't get any sense out of them. They said that it's the norm. They paid for the tax on our new car so as far as they are concerned...

The demands come from a government department. We have been advised to ignore it and to pay it. I know which I would prefer, but I don't want it to come and bite us on the bum.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

if you owned the car on 1 jan you are liable for a whole years tax on it. Its the law!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:34 am
Click my Signature

Originally Posted by poolboy
if you owned the car on 1 jan you are liable for a whole years tax on it. Its the law!
If the tax comes in one year chunks, then how can we have taxed it to may?
How can the dealership say they have given us six months of tax?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

When I bought our car from a dealership the tax was paid right through the year, and I only had to pay on the next renewal
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

its doesnt work the same as in UK..you cant buy 6 months tax

As fas as I now understand it, everyones tax is for 12 months from Jan....but bills are sent out at different times in different areas eg ours always come in Aug (so although we got our bill in Aug it was for the whole of this year from Jan)

So you could either try again at the dealers (we did this before when we part ex and they paid it) or just pay it

Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:09 am
Click my Signature

Originally Posted by spain
its doesnt work the same as in UK..you cant buy 6 months tax

As fas as I now understand it, everyones tax is for 12 months from Jan....but bills are sent out at different times in different areas eg ours always come in Aug (so although we got our bill in Aug it was for the whole of this year from Jan)

So you could either try again at the dealers (we did this before when we part ex and they paid it) or just pay it
Well it looks like we have to pay, then.
Yet another example of a Spanish system that makes you pay for something you don't have.

Thanks for the replies - it's clarified it considerably - perhaps something should go into the free beer about it.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:22 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another example of a Spanish system that makes you pay for something you don't have.

Thanks for the replies - it's clarified it considerably - perhaps something should go into the free beer about it.
It is different system to the UK, but not really a casue for complaint. It is much simpler and for most of us, it is far less than we would pay in the UK.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:34 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's the seller's responsibility to notify change of ownership, otherwise Suma will still expect you to pay. We got caught like that and had to cancel ownership with the local Trafico, which was quite simple, but we did have to pay for the time the car was still in our name.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's quite fair;

1) car tax is much cheaper in Spain
2) you can also win on this if you buy a second-hand car after jan - tax will have been paid by the previous owner.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:36 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I don't think that's quite fair;

1) car tax is much cheaper in Spain
2) you can also win on this if you buy a second-hand car after jan - tax will have been paid by the previous owner.

I was about to say the same as item 2 too. Cannot understand why post a comment saying you have pay for something you don't have. The only way you have to pay twice is when you purchase a new car.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I part exchanged a car one November, and was told that if they hadn't sold it by January I would get a tax demand, I was to pay it, and they would refund me the money, saved the dealer having to re-register the car from me and then again when they sold it. Happened exactly as they said, they just gave me the cash. They had sold the car on by then, but not till after January 1st.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:09 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

In some Ayuntamientos it is possible to pay by instalments.

Secondly, if you own the car on January 1st then you are liable for the tax for this year. If you buy it on January 2nd then you are not (in theory).

The Spanish consider a car "a lethal weapon" and there is a lot of bookwork attached to owning or selling said weapon. Get it wrong and you may be liable.

If selling a car, get all the bookwork completed before partig with the keys

Davexf