Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car registration , unusual technical question

Car registration , unusual technical question

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Car registration , unusual technical question

Hi , can anyone help ?
- a friend would like to import a used , U.K.-reg LHD car into Spain and is prepared to bear the cost of re-registration there ;
- the vehicle has no fitted catalisator system ;
- it was supplied outside EU and imported into U.K. , some years ago ;
- there is a valid letter from the manufacturer , confirming that the vehicle was originally supplied new without cat ; thus , the vehicle regularly passes U.K. MOT annually : no troubles , nil emmission testing .
Would anyone know , if the registration and technical controls , in same style , would be possible in Spain ?
Thanx a Lot !
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car registration , unusual technical question

With help, I recently 'matriculated' my 'grey import' (Japanese built sold to Gulf then imported into UK) in Andalucia. Spain seems to work differently in various provinces. (sometimes) even in different towns in the same province

If the car has been Registered in UK and has the V5 document then in theory there is no worries about 'matriculating'. The iTV test is similar to the MOT test. Same emissions testing is done. There are plenty of older cars on Spanish roads.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car registration , unusual technical question

I imported my Japanese Grey import into Spain with no cat last year. As it was imported into the UK it had an SVA certificate to get its log book issued and was therefore acceptable in Spain. I de catted it in the UK though after the SVA, but it still passed the test over here OK