car lights

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of
Default Re: car lights

i could find you 1000 illegal uk cars in fuengirola in a week/month.same in other resorts,kind of gets my back up
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

I am in the same kind of situation in France, where as long as the car is legal ie. MOT'd taxed & insured in its country of registration then what is being described here is ok.

My question relates to having only 3rd party insurance which all insurers have to provide for coverage anywhere in Europe, as many won't include fully comprehensive cover for more than a month or two at a time. Are there any British insurance companies that offer reasonable prices on comprehensive insurance with up to 12 months cover abroad?

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I have claimed once on my car insurance and have used the breakdown service on the insurance twice. The insurance company never queried any part of my claim.

Yes there are British people here who drive untaxed, uninsured, no MOT vehicles. Do you classify me in the same vein as those people even though my car is insured, taxed and MOTd.

Most of your views are that I am driving here illegally. As far as I am concerned the Guardia Civil have said that I can drive here on UK plates so long as the car is insured. We get stopped occasionally by the Guardia so that documents are checked - never a problem. The Guardia know who we are and we know who they are? We have now lived here for over three years.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:42 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
I am in the same kind of situation in France, where as long as the car is legal ie. MOT'd taxed & insured in its country of registration then what is being described here is ok.

My question relates to having only 3rd party insurance which all insurers have to provide for coverage anywhere in Europe, as many won't include fully comprehensive cover for more than a month or two at a time. Are there any British insurance companies that offer reasonable prices on comprehensive insurance with up to 12 months cover abroad?

Nope
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638813
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

guitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
But the motor insurance policy which Saga Insurance offers does give cover for use of the car up to 12 months abroad. I previously had this policy until I got my car fully imported to Spain recently. The quote from Saga on that other thread is "I regret to advise Saga are unable to cover a vehicle which is left outside of the UK without the policyholder. I am sorry our policy is unsuitable for this cover".

Surely, as long as the policyholder is going to be WITH the car then the Saga policy would do?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:27 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitareth
But the motor insurance policy which Saga Insurance offers does give cover for of the car up to 12 months abroad. I previously had this policy until I got my car fully imported to Spain recently. The quote from Saga on that other thread is "I regret to advise Saga are unable to cover a vehicle which is left outside of the UK without the policyholder. I am sorry our policy is unsuitable for this cover".

Surely, as long as the policyholder is going to be WITH the car then the Saga policy would do?
NO see here> http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638813
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:43 am
Just Joined

guitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant futureguitareth has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by missile
So are you saying following quote from that thread is THE definitive answer?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
No one obviously remembers the threads that ran and ran and ran and ran and ran...... anyway.... that ran for weeks and months about this a couple of years ago and a good handful of people made the effort to contact consulates, insurance brokers etc and the general consensus was that no one, and I mean no one, will insure a british registered car that is out of the country for longer than 3 months. They may well say that you are covered to get your trade, but you try claiming on it!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:20 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

see post #1 on that thread.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:43 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Twice that the link to the same thread has been posted....it just seems that guitareth does not want to believe it.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Twice that the link to the same thread has been posted....it just seems that guitareth does not want to believe it.
You are right, I don't

Perhaps I'm being thick but, as I pointed out before, post 1 on that thread clearly states:

Thank you for your recent communication regarding Saga Insurance. I regret to advise Saga are unable to cover a vehicle which is left outside of the UK without the policyholder. I am sorry our policy is unsuitable for this cover.
Please advise the policyholder to contact us regarding this matter
To highlight the important phrase: "Saga are unable to cover a vehicle which is left outside of the UK without the policyholder.

That's a very specific circumstance. If someone is travelling in Europe WITH their car I still don't see how anyone has definitively proved that Saga won't honour the terms of their policy i.e 12 months cover for driving anywhere in Europe.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

You are right, I don't

Perhaps I'm being thick but, as I pointed out before, post 1 on that thread clearly states:

To highlight the important phrase: "Saga are unable to cover a vehicle which is left outside of the UK without the policyholder.

That's a very specific circumstance. If someone is travelling in Europe WITH their car I still don't see how anyone has definitively proved that Saga won't honour the terms of their policy i.e 12 months cover for driving anywhere in Europe.

I agree with guitareth - I currently have a policy that specifically states third party cover for travel within Europe for up to 12 months (being the term of the policy). My question was whether any company offers a fully comprehensive for longer than a few months. I'm starting to think not, based on my research and comments posted here, but would still be pleased if anyone has positive experience to share...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:13 am
Started off with nothing

The title of this thread is
car lights
If you want a definitive answer to your specific situation contact your insurer

Last edited by missile; Nov 5th 2009 at 3:16 am.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:54 am
Just Joined

I agree with guitareth - I currently have a policy that specifically states third party cover for travel within Europe for up to 12 months (being the term of the policy). My question was whether any company offers a fully comprehensive for longer than a few months. I'm starting to think not, based on my research and comments posted here, but would still be pleased if anyone has positive experience to share...
The policy I had with Saga was fully comprehensive cover including up to 12 months anywhere in Europe.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

There are companies which offer 12 months fully comp for Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar but only Third party for the rest of Europe.
This can be upped to fully comp for other countries but I believe only for short periods
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The policy I had with Saga was fully comprehensive cover including up to 12 months anywhere in Europe.
All UK insurance reverts to 3rd party as soon as you leave the UK.

Also there are residency time stipulations when you are in certain countries, your UK insurance would be deemed void if you were a resident of a different country, you would need to move smartish around Europe to miss these.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
All UK insurance reverts to 3rd party as soon as you leave the UK.

Also there are residency time stipulations when you are in certain countries, your UK insurance would be deemed void if you were a resident of a different country, you would need to move smartish around Europe to miss these.
JDR - I can't believe you have stated that so strongly! The other two posters have insurance which clearly stipulates that they are covered (comprehensively) in Spain.

When I moved here, I notified my company and they stated very clearly that I would still be covered with comprehensive insurance but only for three months. It did NOT reduce to 3rd party once I left the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.