Wikiposts

car lights

Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car lights

I think the most important point here is does your insurance company know that the vehicle is out of the country for most of the year? Normally, they will only give you a max of 3 months cover!
The rules in Spain state that for a foreign registered vehicle to be legal in Spain, the vehile has to be taxed, insured and mot'd in its' country of registration. After the vehicle has been in Spain for 3 months, it HAS to be put onto Spanish plates.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:50 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunacrout
I would have thought that the DVLA would be quite happy that we're paying UK road tax - why should they care where the car is
If you (or anyone else who keeps a UK registered car in spain) would like to tell me the registration number, I will be pleased to ask them for you
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:59 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
If you (or anyone else who keeps a UK registered car in spain) would like to tell me the registration number, I will be pleased to ask them for you
I'm sure you would

Some people have just too much time on their hands
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I think the most important point here is does your insurance company know that the vehicle is out of the country for most of the year? Normally, they will only give you a max of 3 months cover!
The rules in Spain state that for a foreign registered vehicle to be legal in Spain, the vehile has to be taxed, insured and mot'd in its' country of registration. After the vehicle has been in Spain for 3 months, it HAS to be put onto Spanish plates.
From our insurance company's website (Saga)

"Cover when driving in the European Union at no extra cost and for an unlimited period " - we spend more than the required six months and one day here so it's not a problem at the moment (as I said before, we will revise things when we move over permanently)
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that the DVLA would be quite happy that we're paying UK road tax - why should they care where the car is
Because it is an offence not to notify them of any changes, ie the registration document shows that the vehicle is kept at a UK address for most of the time, clearly, that is not the case!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Because it is an offence not to notify them of any changes, ie the registration document shows that the vehicle is kept at a UK address for most of the time, clearly, that is not the case!
May I quote from the DVLA website?

Taking Your Vehicle Abroad for Less Than 12 months (Temporary Export)
If you are taking your vehicle out of the country for less than 12 months you must make sure you take your registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C) with you. If you do not have one, you should apply to a DVLA local office on form V62, available from Post Office® branches, DVLA local office or download on the vehicle forms link below. The registration certificate may take up to 14 days to arrive. If you need to travel during this time you will need to apply for temporary registration certificate. You should apply well before your journey, as there could be delays of up to 14 days in issuing the certificate if you are not already recorded as the vehicle keeper. There is a fee for this service.

You should make sure that you meet any international and national conditions for licensing and taxation. Further information can be found in leaflet V526 called Taking your vehicle out of the country.

We comply with all that is written here - enough said
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:58 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

we've driven our English plated car in Spain for six years now with no problems. We drive back to the UK once a year for MOT and tax and insure it there.
Story changes quicker than I can say Walter Mitty
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Story changes quicker than I can say Walter Mitty
just what has changed exactly We drive back once a year, at other times we fly - what's so hard to understand about that? As I said before - I am just stating the facts.

And there is no need to make personal insults to me - may I just suggest - once again - that you read what I've written?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you - I didn't want to point out the other poster in the similar situation but maybe the fault is with the Guardia for giving false reassurances - if, indeed, they are.

A friend of ours was being given so much conflicting advice that he went into the main Trafico office in Malaga and was told that as long as he wasn't a Spanish resident and his car was legally taxed and insured in the UK that he was fine - this further reassured us that what we were doing is OK. Maybe we'll call there next time we're in Malaga and get it in writing
... and I've been told something quite different by a friend in the Guardia! So who can you believe other than to comply with the law as it is published.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:54 am
Started off with nothing

just what has changed exactly We drive back once a year, at other times we fly - what's so hard to understand about that? As I said before - I am just stating the facts.

And there is no need to make personal insults to me - may I just suggest - once again - that you read what I've written?
The fact is, it is illegal to keep a UK registered car in spain for 6 years and drive it "home" to MOT it. You are required to tell DVLA and re-register it in spain.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:02 am
Account Closed

The fact is, it is illegal to keep a UK registered car in spain for 6 years and drive it "home" to MOT it. You are required to tell DVLA and re-register it in spain.
Sigh.....................our "home" and main residence is UK -our car lives in Spain - very happily apart from its yearly check-up. Did you read the DVLA extract - where does it say that it's ILLEGAL to have the car in Spain?

Anyway - I'm getting bored with this now - we'll just carry on doing what we've been doing - thank you
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.....................our "home" and main residence is UK -our car lives in Spain - very happily apart from its yearly check-up. Did you read the DVLA extract - where does it say that it's ILLEGAL to have the car in Spain?

Anyway - I'm getting bored with this now - we'll just carry on doing what we've been doing - thank you
I think you should be congratulated on your honest and straight forward posts .

I am not totally sure about the legal side but I tend to think you are correct
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I think you should be congratulated on your honest and straight forward posts .

I am not totally sure about the legal side but I tend to think you are correct
Muchas gracias - at last - someone who understands
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:54 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Muchas gracias - at last - someone who understands
Best of British lunacrout,I tend to agree with Fred.
I read the small print of the law a while back and as I understood it, given the right circumstances, it can be legal to have a UK reg car in Spain indefinitely.

You sometimes need a hide like a rhino to jump in here,but pay no heed to them,their bark is worse than their bite,...beneath their harsh exterior they're just a bunch of sentimental softies really.....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Best of British lunacrout,I tend to agree with Fred.
I read the small print of the law a while back and as I understood it, given the right circumstances, it can be legal to have a UK reg car in Spain indefinitely.

You sometimes need a hide like a rhino to jump in here,but pay no heed to them,their bark is worse than their bite,...beneath their harsh exterior they're just a bunch of sentimental softies really.....

Ha-ha - could have fooled me - I think I've done quite well to stick up for myself really - that assertiveness course must have worked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.