Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Car Hire Excess Insurance

We have used the hire company quite a few times and the cars and service have been excellent. I think we are paying £85 pw. We have never ever paid any excess charges.
I only got on to the Excess Insurance merry go round as it was suggested by someone to purchase it to cover wheels tyres & under carriage. But so far I
those I have looked at only cover these items if they are also covered on the hire car company own insurance
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ambre Solaire
We have used the hire company quite a few times and the cars and service have been excellent. I think we are paying £85 pw. We have never ever paid any excess charges.
I only got on to the Excess Insurance merry go round as it was suggested by someone to purchase it to cover wheels tyres & under carriage. But so far I
those I have looked at only cover these items if they are also covered on the hire car company own insurance
What sort of car is it for 85 quid a week ?
You would only pay the excess charge if you had an accident or got a dent or scratched the bodywork etc anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough

Opel Corsa (5 Door)
1.3 Litre Engine | 5 Doors, 5 Seats
Group: C £85

There is no excess charge, it fully comp except for tyres wheel u.carriage
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

But so far I
I think you are very confused. It varies from company to company, but here is a list of exclusions from one company, which you have to trawl through the small print to find. This is what your excess insurance covers.

* Flat tires
* Damage to third parties due to negligence or reckless driving.
* Damage caused to the vehicle due to negligence or reckless driving.
* Inadequate refuelling.
* Damage to tires and wheels.
* Loss or damage of car keys or remote locks. Depending on the type of vehicle the charge ranges between € 30 and € 120
* Damage to the lock, upholstery and rear shelf.
* Damage or loss of the child seats or booster seats.
* Damage or loss of ariels, car jack, security triangles, wiper-blades and deposit cap.
* Damage to the engine due to negligence.
* Damage to the vehicle’s underside (housing, bodywork, etc.)
* Misuse of the clutch.
* Theft of the vehicle with keys in the starter.
* Driving under the effects of the alcohol.
* Damages to windshields and windows.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your help, I am totally confused - but there is an asterisk *
against tyres wheels and undercarriage which then states these are only covered by the excess insurance policy IF they are covered by the car rental policy, which they are not

Cover up to £3,500 (Annual £5,000)
Fire, theft & Vandalism
Tyres, Keys, Windscreen & Undercarriage*
Additional Drivers
Persons up to 84 years

Buy your car hire excess insurance online from as little as £1.99 per day covering up to 180 consecutive days. Or for cover all year round, our Annual policy is great value at £39.99 with unlimited rentals up to 62 days any one rental. Carhirexcess.com provides cover for the excess on your car hire insurance policy whilst abroad. *These additional covers are included provided your main car rental policy includes these covers

I may give up and ride a bike !
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your help, I am totally confused - but there is an asterisk *
against tyres wheels and undercarriage which then states these are only covered by the excess insurance policy IF they are covered by the car rental policy, which they are not

Cover up to £3,500 (Annual £5,000)
Fire, theft & Vandalism
Tyres, Keys, Windscreen & Undercarriage*
Additional Drivers
Persons up to 84 years

Buy your car hire excess insurance online from as little as £1.99 per day covering up to 180 consecutive days. Or for cover all year round, our Annual policy is great value at £39.99 with unlimited rentals up to 62 days any one rental. Carhirexcess.com provides cover for the excess on your car hire insurance policy whilst abroad. *These additional covers are included provided your main car rental policy includes these covers

I may give up and ride a bike !
Different companies, different T&C's. Insurance4carhire, which I mentioned earlier, states the following. (no asterisks!)

Insurance4carhire covers you not only for the total amount of Excess for which you are liable if the car is damaged or stolen, but also for damage to the roof and undercarriage of the car, and windows and tyres.

What the Policy Covers

* Covers the Policy Holder, who must be the person hiring the car, and all additional drivers named on car rental agreement
* One low, annual premium allows unlimited use within the 12 month cover period
* Valid at all car rental locations worldwide where Excess is charged
* Covers Excess on damage to the rental vehicle including the undercarriage, Excess on theft, and damage to windows and tyres
You said they are more expensive, perhaps this would explain why. I pay £40+ (can't remember exactly) a year, for trips up to 30 days, which I consider una ganga. True, 60 days would be more expensive, but the hire companies normally charge anything from €2 or €3 a day upwards, work that out times 60.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Agoreira Thanks for the info/advice

Regards
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

only covered by the excess insurance policy IF they are covered by the car rental policy
Ambre. Sadly this is of course the case. The EXCESS insurance ONLY covers the EXCESS.

So, you dent your car and the cost is €400. Your hire company has an excess of €300 (so ordinarily, with no excess insurance, you would pay the first €300 and car hire insurance the balance.)

Because you have bought your excess insurance your 60 day policy will pay that first €300, and the car hire insurance the balance.

If the car hire company has no insurance against tyres/wheels etc, then by definition there is no EXCESS to insure against.

You, or the car hire company, are liable.

And some companies do not charge an excess. i used to rent from Aurigacrown and they never bothered if the car was dented when you brought it back.

Oh and you get a perfectly decent car for under £10 a day. I've just booked a Ka for 29 days Oct/Nov for £228.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

stranger and stranger. My insurance4carhire document (and i only have the first page) states

"shall indemnify...as a result of damage (including wheeels, tires etc)...when such vehicle is rented... and the insured person being held responsible for the <i>excess</i>, to which the insured would normally be liable.
I assume there is a more comprehensive clause somewhere else in the document?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
stranger and stranger. My insurance4carhire document (and i only have the first page) states
"shall indemnify...as a result of damage (including wheeels, tires etc)...when such vehicle is rented... and the insured person being held responsible for the <i>excess</i>, to which the insured would normally be liable.
I assume there is a more comprehensive clause somewhere else in the document?
That's right though, isn't it? Normally the insured person is responsible for tha damage, and would "normally" be liable to pay the excess, but if you have the excess insurance, that company pays.

the car rental price includes CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), Third Party Liability and Theft. There is almost always an Excess on the CDW and theft, ranging from £500 and £1,600. The car rental company sells Excess cover at the counter, increasingly known as "Super CDW". This Excess cover generally costs between £6 and £12 per day.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agoreira
That's right though, isn't it? Normally the insured person is responsible for tha damage, and would "normally" be liable to pay the excess, but if you have the excess insurance, that company pays.
Yes, but if the hire company does not insure the eventuality (in this case wheels etc) then there is no excess. The customer is liable for the full amount of any damage, not just the 'excess'.

SO the issue is: if the hire company does not insure something (wheels etc) then does the 'excess' policy pay out the total?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant, finally my question has been understood with regard to the hire company not requesting an excess amount to be paid

We are looking at icarhireinsurance who confim that wheels,tyres etc are covered on their policy and no dreaded asterisk *

Thanks all for your info/advice and input

Regards
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Ambre Solaire I see the point you make and had assumed "extra benefit" meant in addition to excess cover (I know shouldnn't), assume I have sent a queery to carhireexcess and if I get a reply will update.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for car hire for the UK for Christmas week. Normally go via Saga with Hertz to get the additional driver free but price has rocketed. Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.