Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough
Default Car Hire Excess Insurance

We are renting a car for a couple of months and are purchasing an Annual Excess Insurance Policy. Do we advise the hire company that we have this policy or do we keep quiet about it ?
I may be a bit suspicious, but have a thought if they know about this Policy that suddenly they may find a problem when we return the car to the airport car park for them to collect

Any advice ?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:41 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire Excess Insurance

When renting anything anywhere (after a bad experience in the UK) I'd photgraph the vehicle when you pick it up and when you leave it. Hope that isn't too cautious for you.

Further to that, inspect the vehicle before you drive off and if there are any minor marks, scratches etc., note them and make the hirer note them.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Sep 6th 2010 at 2:47 pm. Reason: further caution!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

When I return a hire car I always ask for a signature on the damage form stating "agreed no damage". The reaction varies from virtual refusal to extreme reluctance. You tend to think "why not?". I think damage excesses are a major earner for car hire companies.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There is no need to tell them, although they may try to sell it to you, if they do then tell them you are already covered.
If you have a prang or they charge you for undercar damage just forward their bill onto the other ins company.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I always use the excess insurance, and I thought I would definitely be using it this year. After renting for more than 25 years without a scratch, my luck ran out this year. Fearing the worse, I took the car back, pointed out the damage, and the guy said, Ah, a leeetle scratch, señor! No problem! and I was on my way, a relieved man. I have checked my account since, just in case,but 6 months later, nada.

Last edited by agoreira; Sep 6th 2010 at 3:54 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I have used insurance4carhire for 4 years. Cost £39 this year. Returned a sixt car hire with a little dent and was charged €190. Insurance paid up no probs.

I never check the car now as I have the insurance and they pay up.

No need to tell the car hire company - but they will possibly ask to swipe your card for a 'security deposit'

Last time I was out I told hellehollis i did not want their excess insurance. I fully expected them to charge me for a rather large scrape on the bodywork, but no, they didn't bother
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
I have used insurance4carhire for 4 years.
Ditto, the same company. I haven't had to claim, but have heard good reports from those that have.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough

Many thanks for all your advice. It would appear that insurance4carhire policy for Europe are 31 days max, we require 60 days. I have located a few insurers that will cover for 60 days per trip, just reading "the small print" trying to find one to cover keys as well

Kind regards
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ambre Solaire
Many thanks for all your advice. It would appear that insurance4carhire policy for Europe are 31 days max, we require 60 days. I have located a few insurers that will cover for 60 days per trip, just reading "the small print" trying to find one to cover keys as well

Kind regards
You can do an annual policy, £79, with 60 days max continous.
Under worldwide
http://www.insurance4carhire.com/Pro...D=1666&curID=1
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Yes, thanks for that, but we usually never travel out of Europe now, so that is £30-£40 more than other Insurers I have seen.

Regards
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Car Hire Excess Insurance ?

We have finally booked our car hire and have discovered that there is no
insurance excess to pay,( see below) which is great. But that leaves me wondering if tyres wheels keys etc are not covered, which policy do I need to ensure I am fully covered.

On reading through lots of sites, I can only see Car Hire Excess Insurance, which obviously only covers only the excess part.

Or am I being a bit dim ?

Our rates include comprehensive insurance on your hire car (including collision damage waiver, personal accident insurance and third party cover) and Public Liability Cover. (NB. Tyres/wheels, keys, the underneath of the car, traffic or parking fines and towing charges are excluded).

NO INSURANCE EXCESS IS PAYABLE
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Kind regards
Try carhireexcess.com covers 60 days including keys tyres etc £39.99 thats who I use
Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

We are renting a car for a couple of months and are purchasing an Annual Excess Insurance Policy. Do we advise the hire company that we have this policy or do we keep quiet about it ?
I may be a bit suspicious, but have a thought if they know about this Policy that suddenly they may find a problem when we return the car to the airport car park for them to collect

Any advice ?

Amex cards sometimes include this cover, its worth asking with all cards.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

If posting a reply to my question, can you read my posting 11, as the goal posts have changed !

Thanks for your advice
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire Excess Insurance ?

We have finally booked our car hire and have discovered that there is no
insurance excess to pay,( see below) which is great. But that leaves me wondering if tyres wheels keys etc are not covered, which policy do I need to ensure I am fully covered.

On reading through lots of sites, I can only see Car Hire Excess Insurance, which obviously only covers only the excess part.

Or am I being a bit dim ?

Our rates include comprehensive insurance on your hire car (including collision damage waiver, personal accident insurance and third party cover) and Public Liability Cover. (NB. Tyres/wheels, keys, the underneath of the car, traffic or parking fines and towing charges are excluded).

NO INSURANCE EXCESS IS PAYABLE
I have never heard of a cover with no excess, even our own car has an excess on it.
But I have just been told by her indoors that apparently they are available, the charge for hire being much more.
Usually there is now a 600 quid excess on hire policies, you take out the excess cover to pay for this if needed, it also covers the undercar and tyres etc, as these are the latest cons they try on.
If that policy is cheap then it sounds too good to be true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.