Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cancer and travel insurance

Cancer and travel insurance

Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Diddy Di will become famous soon enough
Default Cancer and travel insurance

My father-in-law has cancer & as we are moving over to Spain wants to come to stay.
Do any of you know of a insurance company that will not charge a fortune for cover?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancer and travel insurance

Medical insurance never covers pre-existing medical conditions so if he comes to visit you in Spain then he will not be covered for any medical treatment that may be required.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddy Di
My father-in-law has cancer & as we are moving over to Spain wants to come to stay.
Do any of you know of a insurance company that will not charge a fortune for cover?
We had this problem with the in-laws - not cancer but another serious medical condition. Saga are worth a call, as are Age Concern, and there are other companies that will insure pre-existing conditions.

Google is also your friend

In our case, they ALL came out with very similar figures, having all run through a fairly comprehensive medical questionnaire. Some will gather the information on-line.

Worth noting - these are all fixed-stay policies - if he's looking to 'stay' permanently, then it's different cover you'll need. Again pre-existing conditions can be covered but for immediate cover with no exclusion period expect a big weighting.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi Diddy Di

As per the post with the links, as you can see some companies will cover you.
A lot depends on what type of cancer and if he is still receiving treatment.
Personally I have cancer, but now require no treatment, just a cocktail of medication.
My insurance company will now cover me. Before they would not cover me for anything to do with the cancer,e.g if I forgot my medication and that made me ill.So I just accepted this.
All other ailments that had nothing to do with the cancer would have been covered in any case.
Hope the replies you had helps.
LMJ
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

jimjan will become famous soon enoughjimjan will become famous soon enough

Hi Diddy Di

I had a problem trying to get cover for my dad after his stroke. After being turned down by both Saga and Age concern ( I think because the stroke was quite recent), I went through about a dozen quotes from sites found through Google. All the quotes were "sky-high" and we'd almost resigned ourselves to the fact his insurance was going to cost as much as his holiday when I found www.able2travel.com. They gave him annual cover for £5 less than others had quoted for the month, and for an extra premium of £40 extended it to include mom (arthritus declared!)

As far as medical conditions are concerned "the insurance excludes any condition for which investigation or treatment is awaited" so if your father-in-law is not currently receiving treatment,it may be worth 'phoning to discuss . The number is 0870 750 6711.

For the annual insurance the maximum period per trip is 62 days (up to age 64) or otherwise 31 days (age 65-69). With single trip insurance periods are 45 days and 31 days but they will insure up to age 79.

Hope you get sorted
Jimjans Daughter
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Diddy Di will become famous soon enough

Thank you all very much for the information, at least we have a starting point.
Kind regards Di