Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

wet room shower

wet room shower

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

moodyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wet room shower

Hi, im about to rip out my existing bath tub and replace with a shower, i want to make my own shower base with concrete and then tile it to match the floor tiles, now the snag is ive been told that an ordinary waste trap is not able to be used on this type of shower base and that i will need a type that is used for a wet room ...ive not been able to find where to buy one of these or even what it looks like ...has anyone had the experiance of making their own shower base or does anyone know where to buy these waste fittings,
thanks john.
ps. im in torremolinos and ive tried beauhaus and leroy merlins without success.
pps.also appreciate it if anyone knows a better/cheaper place to buy tiles and toilet/sink fittings than the 2 stoes mentioned.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wet room shower

This has the potential to go tits up big time.

AFAIK wet room fittings are designed to be used with the specific tanking and hidden base system you use.
Google wet room, wet room drain, wet room fittings or the like.

IMO you'd be far better off using a proper wet room system or sinking a porcelain shower tray into the floor.

On a safety note be very careful on your choice of tile - glazed surface and soap could easily be a deadly combination.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We have a wet room, it was installed during the build, all I can say is the shower outlet looks like a standard outlet! If it is to go through concrete then surely the only difference to a normal outlet would be it's length to get through the thickness of concrete?

But I will go along with the advice on tiling, ours is very slippery both on the shower side and the normal floor side, we have had to put down a couple of rubber bath mats to help with grip when wet.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moodyj
Hi, im about to rip out my existing bath tub and replace with a shower, i want to make my own shower base with concrete and then tile it to match the floor tiles, now the snag is ive been told that an ordinary waste trap is not able to be used on this type of shower base and that i will need a type that is used for a wet room ...ive not been able to find where to buy one of these or even what it looks like ...has anyone had the experiance of making their own shower base or does anyone know where to buy these waste fittings,
thanks john.
ps. im in torremolinos and ive tried beauhaus and leroy merlins without success.
pps.also appreciate it if anyone knows a better/cheaper place to buy tiles and toilet/sink fittings than the 2 stoes mentioned.
HAve you got the required planning permission to do this? I know it seems daft, but you do need permission to do this, if you don't get it it could all backfire if/when you come to sell it.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the replies
well it certainly isnt going to be as easy as i thought ,but due to the shape of the bathroom i cant buy a standard shower tray to fit where i need it hence the idea of making my own.
i must admit that slippery tiles or planning permission had not entered my mind, so im pleased that i posted the question.
but needs must and unless i continue its back to the old bathtub, so if anyone can throw any more light on the subject id appreciate it.
Regards all.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the replies
well it certainly isnt going to be as easy as i thought ,but due to the shape of the bathroom i cant buy a standard shower tray to fit where i need it hence the idea of making my own.
i must admit that slippery tiles or planning permission had not entered my mind, so im pleased that i posted the question.
but needs must and unless i continue its back to the old bathtub, so if anyone can throw any more light on the subject id appreciate it.
Regards all.
I'm doing exactly the same as you mate ....... I have the fitments required but haven't got a clue where you can get them from ... local plumbers for me
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.onthelevel.co.uk/pages/downloads.php

This link may help. It is a series of pdf brochures on how to do the job.

Also your floor/shower tray does not have to be a solid slab of concrete several inches thick. Many times I have seen them installing a wet room on US tv series to be seen on Discovery Home and Leisure, they install a polystyrene tray that has the correct inclines built into it and then lay a thin skim of cement/concrete over that.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We have just such a shower room. The floor is just the same as the rest of the bathroom, tiles on concrete.

The drain is exactly the same as the terrace drains and goes right through the floor into the underbuild where it has an inline bend before it links up with the main pipe from the toilet.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
We have just such a shower room. The floor is just the same as the rest of the bathroom, tiles on concrete.

The drain is exactly the same as the terrace drains and goes right through the floor into the underbuild where it has an inline bend before it links up with the main pipe from the toilet.
Which is exactly what mine is going to be .... was getting a bit concerned that what I had done was not correct

Did you do it yourself, or did you get someone in. Trying to cut the floor tiles to make a slight funnel effect to drain the water is a nightmare
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:58 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at http://www.diywetroom.com/faq.htm for tips on tiling a wet room. Or maybe consider a vinyl or rubber floor covering?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:59 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Have a look at http://www.diywetroom.com/faq.htm for tips on tiling a wet room. Or maybe consider a vinyl or rubber floor covering?
Mmmmmmmm ....... rubber
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Mmmmmmmm ....... rubber
Behave

Rosemary
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Behave

Rosemary
To keep the floor dry and stop rising damp we used to make them out of sheet lead including an upstand then they were tiled over, I won`t go into capillary retraction. ;-)
We did several and we also made them out of very thick vinyl flooring like they use in schools, this type are very strong and can be used for wheelchair access too.
I don`t think they worry much about damp in Spain though, have a look behind some of the tiles, lol
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
To keep the floor dry and stop rising damp we used to make them out of sheet lead including an upstand then they were tiled over, I won`t go into capillary retraction. ;-)
We did several and we also made them out of very thick vinyl flooring like they use in schools, this type are very strong and can be used for wheelchair access too.
I don`t think they worry much about damp in Spain though, have a look behind some of the tiles, lol
thanks for that idea, id not thought of lead, that would solve the problem of the awkward shape im working to but would the tiles be able to stick directly to the lead or did you have to put a screed or something on top b4 tyling?.
regards.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that idea, id not thought of lead, that would solve the problem of the awkward shape im working to but would the tiles be able to stick directly to the lead or did you have to put a screed or something on top b4 tyling?.
regards.
They used to put a screed over the top, but I reckon with unibond and the latest tile adhesives you would be able to tile on top of the lead.