Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you live on £53 a week?

Can you live on £53 a week?

Old Apr 4th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you live on £53 a week?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Not just the factory jobs that have disappeared - there is also a media+politician campaign to demonise young Brits, so that certain chains prefer to hire foreign workers as it "values the cosmopolitan feel that its international blend affords them"

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...t-7310609.html
How silly!

Every time I go back to UK I am appalled by the number of shops that have changed to self-service checkouts. I refuse to use them!

Bring back bus conductors, manned box-offices, road sweepers with brooms, receptionists, carpark attendants, porters, cobblers, people who repair things ...
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
How silly!

Every time I go back to UK I am appalled by the number of shops that have changed to self-service checkouts. I refuse to use them!

Bring back bus conductors, manned box-offices, road sweepers with brooms, receptionists, carpark attendants, porters, cobblers, people who repair things ...
Wherever I go they are all around, lots of road sweepers in London too Not sure about bus conductors, haven't been on a bus in decades.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

How silly!

I'm not much of a shopper, avoid it like the plague, however I've not seen just self service checkouts, there's always a choice. Lots of people swear by them, find them much quicker, and there always seems to be a girl hovering there to help out the less savvy shoppers like me. On the rare occasions when we do end up in M&S I find the store staff brilliant, they went to a different charm school and did a different customer care course than those Spanish girls.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

For the past 50 years we've been getting rid of jobs by automating everything that used to be done by humans, and calling it progress. Result: a desperate shortage of jobs for the unskilled and inexperienced.
Then the work that is available is shipped out to countries with cheaper labour i.e. China

Whatever happened to BUY BRITISH oh I forgot it's too expensive.
Cheaper to pay a Chinaman to do the work and pay Brits to sit on their backsides
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Then the work that is available is shipped out to countries with cheaper labour i.e. China

Cheaper to pay a Chinaman to do the work and pay Brits to sit on their backsides
Sadly I fear you've summarised the situation totally.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:35 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

I dont suppose the expats in Spain are helping the British economy or jobs either by drawing a UK pension (a lot of expats anyway) and spending it in Spanish hairdressers, petrol stations, transport, supermarkets, bars etc.

Really no different to not buying British in my view.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Totally agree.

The unemployed and hard up Spanish would see the Brits moaning about the bedroom tax as nothing more than whingers.
Absolutely agree!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
That's a very good point. I am old enough to remember the period when computers were first being introduced into the workplace, and many people were uneasy about the number of jobs that might be lost. We were assured back then that computerisation and automating processes would only mean that people would have to work fewer hours in the future and have much more leisure time. Hasn't quite worked out that way, has it?
ISTR the day a brand new mainframe computer was installed, much heralded with a number of staff being laid off.. But the new computer team saw a 50% increase in staff in that area and a 20% increase in inputting jobs to keep the thing operating and providing management information.
New CNC machines were bought, but the operators were paid more than those who were replaced. The dies and tooling for the CNC's were more expensive than the old ones used manually.

Net gain - NIL. But a number of "unskilled manual" jobs were replaced by a similar number of "unskilled clerical" jobs.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:15 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

£53 a week? I can survive on ONE POUND A DAY says cash-strapped teacher
Kath Kelly ate at free buffets and picked fruit from bushes
Teacher started challenge as she bet her friends she could live on small sum
Iain Duncan Smith was challenged to live on £53-a-week on Radio 4

A teacher who survived for a year on just £1 a day has backed Iain Duncan Smith and said 'anybody' can live on a daily budget of £7.
Frugal Kath Kelly, 51, ate at free buffets, shopped at church jumble sales and scrounged leftovers from grocery stores and restaurants.
She picked fruit from bushes and trees and collected a staggering £117 in loose change dropped in the street - a third of her annual budget.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PZdBDifE
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
£53 a week? I can survive on ONE POUND A DAY says cash-strapped teacher
Kath Kelly ate at free buffets and picked fruit from bushes
Teacher started challenge as she bet her friends she could live on small sum
Iain Duncan Smith was challenged to live on £53-a-week on Radio 4

A teacher who survived for a year on just £1 a day has backed Iain Duncan Smith and said 'anybody' can live on a daily budget of £7.
Frugal Kath Kelly, 51, ate at free buffets, shopped at church jumble sales and scrounged leftovers from grocery stores and restaurants.
She picked fruit from bushes and trees and collected a staggering £117 in loose change dropped in the street - a third of her annual budget.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PZdBDifE
Well, there you go. Poor is the new Rich.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
ISTR the day a brand new mainframe computer was installed, much heralded with a number of staff being laid off.. But the new computer team saw a 50% increase in staff in that area and a 20% increase in inputting jobs to keep the thing operating and providing management information.
Back in 1967 I and many colleagues were working away from our factory base.

In order that we could receive our money and post it home ( on a Thursday ) so the family would receive it on the Friday, timesheets had to be submitted to the factory on the preceding Thursday i.e. a week in advance.

The wages department became computerised and we had to send the timesheets in on the Wednesday i.e. a day earlier.