Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can commuting work?

Can commuting work?

Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:21 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough
Default Can commuting work?

Hi, All new to this forum but already asking for help?
Have wanted to move over for a few years and now it seems to be coming to fruition within the next 12 mths anyway
However my work commitments(I still need cash ) will mean I will have to spend five or six days a month back in the UK office.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this, the advent of cheap flights etc make it possible but what advice does anyone have or comment.
Family are used to me being away as my work has always taken me around the world
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can commuting work?

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Have wanted to move over for a few years and now it seems to be coming to fruition within the next 12 mths anyway
However my work commitments(I still need cash ) will mean I will have to spend five or six days a month back in the UK office.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this, the advent of cheap flights etc make it possible but what advice does anyone have or comment.
Family are used to me being away as my work has always taken me around the world
Thanks in advance

my other half spends a few weeks here then a few in the states for the same reason

many of my friends have hubby's in the uk mon-fri & here weekends, so a few days a month would seem like very little time to be away (by comparison)

it works for us
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks in advance
Hello All,
My wife works in London three days a week, she is at the moment lodging with our daughter, which is working out very well, (as my daughter lived off us for years lol). I cope well with our youngest daughter, and my wife and I cope well with her working away a couple of days a week.

We have not yet come across any problems with comuting to and from the UK, and the extra cash comes in very handy.

Go for it, is what I say. Good Luck.

David SR
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:52 pm
Pompey Boy

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello All,
My wife works in London three days a week, she is at the moment lodging with our daughter, which is working out very well, (as my daughter lived off us for years lol). I cope well with our youngest daughter, and my wife and I cope well with her working away a couple of days a week.

We have not yet come across any problems with comuting to and from the UK, and the extra cash comes in very handy.

Go for it, is what I say. Good Luck.

David SR
Thanks for responses and encouragement all I will stay at family when I come back as well so UK salary with Spanish overhead
My other concern of course is safety as you hear of high crime rate in certain areas but hey we live in Southsea so its hardly crime free due to lots of people
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for responses and encouragement all I will stay at family when I come back as well so UK salary with Spanish overhead
My other concern of course is safety as you hear of high crime rate in certain areas but hey we live in Southsea so its hardly crime free due to lots of people

very realistic, nowhere is crime free

crime here (Javea) does go up during the tourist season, dh has had his pocket picked in the local supermarket & his hand luggage stolen at Alicante airport. He thinks he knows who (tho not personally) the culprits were on each occaision, & believes that neither time were the perpetrators spanish
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I know quite a few families where the husband goes back and fourth to the uk. At first it was hard for the wives, but they got use to it pretty quickly.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:49 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
my other half spends a few weeks here then a few in the states for the same reason

many of my friends have hubby's in the uk mon-fri & here weekends, so a few days a month would seem like very little time to be away (by comparison)

it works for us
I know there are some cheap flights around but not that cheap that you can commute, or am I being naive, all the flights I see have large tax's added so in the end cost 70 - 100 pounds or there abouts. add to that car park fees etc You need to earn an above average salary to afford that, which means stress which defeats why you moved to Spain.
Kevray
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:59 pm
Pompey Boy

Originally Posted by kevray
I know there are some cheap flights around but not that cheap that you can commute, or am I being naive, all the flights I see have large tax's added so in the end cost 70 - 100 pounds or there abouts. add to that car park fees etc You need to earn an above average salary to afford that, which means stress which defeats why you moved to Spain.
Kevray
Well I suppose if you no longer have a mortgage and as in my case school fees would drop around £250 a month as well think its possible.
I mean if you earn say £4k a month not an especially high salary and you just lost £1500 in costs still makes financial sense.Understand if you are earning say £1500 only take home that its not logical my car will stay at my folks and its 20 minutes from Soton airport to home so they will fetch me get my car job done.
As for stress being in Spain 20-25 days a month will be a major stress buster compared to now.
My work is Europe wide anyway so I am sure a few trips will be paid for

Last edited by gazzpfc; Feb 14th 2006 at 4:11 pm.